“Excellent Accommodation - Plenty of Character”

Mansfield Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tain
Cardiff
“Excellent Accommodation - Plenty of Character”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Arrived on second day of our Scotland visit, travelled through the Black Isles to Cromarty where we intended to stay. No accommodation available so travelled north to Tain where we called into the Mansfield Castle Hotel. Don't worry about its location it's set in lovely grounds and looks splendid.

Only room available was the Tower Suite which was located in the tower.. Three storeys of quaint accommodation. Bedroom and bathroom superb, well stocked and oozes character. Upstairs to sitting room which has character followed by further steps to the turret and outside.

Only sampled breakfast which was good and varied.

Overall a good experience with plenty of laughter from us both over the location and room choice.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Surveyor28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed here overnight on at to Orkney. Have to say that staff were lovely as was the food. However our room in the extension can only be described as shabby. Needs totally re-doing from top to bottom -very disappointed was not worth the money and we will not stay again. Oh and bed was awful.

Room Tip: Have a look before you book but stay away from the extension
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank over50butlookinggood
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The booking was not made by me as I would have asked for a room in the older part of the hotel. As it was the room was as far as you could get from reception and was in the extension to the hotel. There was a slight whiff of damp but nothing apparent in the room other than it being ground floor and in a north facing part of the building and probably not ventilated/heated enough. I should have complained I know but after a long drive I just wanted to relax without hassle... no-one to blame for that but myself.

The room was ok if a bit dated and had a slightly tired feel to it as did much of the hotel. A change of décor and better airing/ventilation would do wonders.

The food was very good although I do think that the breakfast buffet could be a bit more generous and varied. Dinners were fine with a good wine list (if a tad expensive).

The staff were friendly and attentive.

The hotel is easy to find and sits in its own grounds. A bit more imagination is required for outdoor seating to take advantage of the garden area when the weather is good which it can be.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room if you are in the extension. Better still ask for a room in the old part...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Overall our recent stay (June 2013) was very pleasant. I will have to agree with other reviewers that there seems to be A LOT of floral wall paper in the rooms and a few things people may find 'lacking' however we personally found the location on the housing estate to be beneficial as well as the incredibly helpful and wonderful staff to make the stay worth the trip. The main center of town is located just a few blocks away which was wonderful for a walk out for dinner and drinks. Most castles we have stayed in here located in very isolated location, which was great on its' own, however it was nice to be able to leave the grounds on foot to get a drink or two.

The room we were in (in the main house) was very spacious. The floral wall paper and overwhelming air freshener scent was a little much, however everything seemed to calm down after we left the room and came back. The castle is beautiful from the outside and in the lobby. As for rooms, I can only speak to ours. The staff in the bar was very friendly and the only complaint my significant other had was the lack of Tennents. That was quickly rectified with a quick walk into town to a local pub. Also, keep in mind that Tain is a VERY small town. Only a few places to choose from, however the places we went to were all quality in food, price, and customer service.

Room Tip: The main house rooms seem to be a little larger and better kept. Just remember to close the curtains...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Arbroath
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with friends from America the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful the rooms were beautiful and comfy had a great night sleep. loved the jacuzzi and the breakfast was delicious. would recommend this to anyone. Did i mention the place is beautiful

• Stayed June 2013
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I booked 2 rooms for Saturday 25th May- the room allocated were the Haakon for my husband and I and the Arabella for my 87 year old mum. We arrived late on Saturday night after a family party. My mum was nervous about managing the stiff lock on her bedroom door in the event of a fire and being slightly taller than average, my hubby and I were disappointed by the small double bed in the huge Haakon suite. The large brown stain on the Haakon window drapes was also bit off-putting. We went down to breakfast on Sunday morning at 9.50am, a little the worse for wear, to be told breakfast was no longer being served - poor considering we paid £95 and £160 respectively for our rooms and hadn't been warned about the breakfast hours during our late check in. We retreated to the Carnegie Lodge Hotel where other relatives were staying and the Manageress there fixed us 3 gorgeous cooked breakfasts.

I can overlook artificial plants adorning bedroom fireplaces and funky decor but refusing to serve breakfast after 9.30am on a Sunday morning??? Well sorry Mansfield Castle but COME ON!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank rosamund1
Mountlake Terrace, Washington, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Staying in a castle in Scotland was on the top of our travel musts. Since we wanted to tour the Glenmorangie distillery, it fit in perfect. The house was very impressive walking in. The dining room to the right looked cozy and the bar to the left inviting. The large staircase looked promising. We checked in and found that they were fully booked. The couple in front of us didn't like their room, so the front desk put them in a different room. This room change worked great for my friend's parents. They were "upgraded" to the Tower Suite. My friend and I were shown to our room up the staircase and down two sets of stairs. This was very disappointing. We were in room #25 in the addition. I would have to say that this was almost the worst room outside of a budget hotel that I have ever stayed in. I even swear there were what looked to be blood stains on the wallpaper. (I do have photos). The view was of overgrown grass, a large propane tank and a storage shed. The bed was very comfortable I must say. The only bright side was that it was for only one night, and that we were so close to the emergency exit accross from the kitchen, so we didn't have to carry our luggage back up and down all of the stairs. We could roll out to the parking lot. The Tower Suite was wonderful, and maybe the other rooms in the main house were too. Would not stay here again if the only option were rooms in the addition. This section would benefit greatly from a remodel. Other rooms had whirpool baths and double sinks? Wow. Would have loved that, and I bet I paid the same price for my room. Breakfast however was really good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Misty M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tain
Dornoch Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon
Culloden House
Culloden House
#1 of 34 in Inverness

Been to Mansfield Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!