“wedding guests”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tain
by thurso
“wedding guests”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Fabulous staff who couldn't do enough to please and keep a lot of wedding guests very happy very busy in dining room but waitress whose name I didn't get was marvellous as was Ivan manager would return anytime

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sandra372

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tain, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Went to dinner with my husband lastnight and we certainly weren't disappointed food was amazing, tasted lovely presentation amazing service and staff were also lovely and very attentive for it being a busy night our food came right on time didn't wait for nothing and nothing was to much trouble will be back again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Gail U
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here twice in the past few months. Once by myself when on business in the area and once with my wife and son. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the food both at breakfast and dinner is very good.

The rooms however are a little tired and could use some refurbishment. The carpet on the stairs has definitely seen better days and doesn't give a good impression, particularly as it's one of the first thing you notice on the way to your room.

Having said that, I wouldn't let this put me off staying here again, and if I needed to return to the area on business would probably select the Royal Hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Doug_1970
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is my first working trip away from home in the north of Scotland after the new year. I ended my day in the lovely town Tain and soon found the royal hotel which is centrally located. On arrival I was greeted with a warm smile from the staff checked in was real efficient and pleasant. I was showing to my room and was pleasantly surprised at how well in keeping with the ambiance of the old building. Had dinner and it was real good served efficiently and with a smile. Cooked Breakfast was good and hearty, as much as I tried I could not fault this very warm welcoming hotel that has very keen rates and real good food prices in there restraunt would defiantly go back.

Room Tip: Traditional decor in keeping with the age of the property, eat at the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Murray D
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on a business trip. I booked this hotel as it offered WIFI in all of the hotel (important to enable me to work) and because of its good rating on Tripadvisor. I must have drawn the short straw.

I stayed in room 18, which looks nothing like the rooms you see on the website. It is a poorly configured room on the end of the second floor. The first thing which struck me was that the room was freezing cold. The only heating is a small storage heater which did nothing to warm the room.

There were several other negatives to gripe about sadly. WIFI not available in my room, power socket hanging off the wall, bathroom light only worked intermittently, shower water pressure was poor and temperature randomly went from very hot to ice cold. Almost unusable.

The only positive was that the food at dinner and breakfast was very good. I ordered fillet beef for dinner and although I didn't quite get what I ordered, the portion size was very generous and the meat was cooked exactly as I had requested. Breakfast options are plentiful and again cooked perfectly.

If you are in town it is worth a visit for a bite to eat, but maybe stay somewhere else. Certainly not room 18!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank weegiewanderers
Alnwick
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Royal for 10 days. The highlight was the food in the restaurant, excellent selection, large portions and to be honest far better than I was expecting. Bar staff a little slow on occasions. Staff all very friendly, especially the manager who was exceptionally efficient and appeared to work 24 hours a day, every day. Will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jules T
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

The service was interesting. the lady on breakfast duty had a sense of humour failure with 21 cyclists. We think the hotel is In need of a makeover. Food was not as good as we wished. Salmon was ok though. Not much choice here

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Joneep
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tain
Morangie House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dornoch
Kincraig Castle Hotel
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!