The Torridon
Kinlochewe Hotel(Kinlochewe)
  • Breakfast included
Plockton Hotel(Plockton)
Plockton Inn(Plockton)
All reviewsdrawing roomhunting lodgedining roomroll top bathluxury hotelsuperior roomfine dininghighland cattleclay pigeon shootingoutdoor activitiesstunning locationwhiskey bara hot water bottlemichelin starthe hotel offerspetit fourswonderful hotel
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have stayed here several times over the past 10 years or so and think it's getting even better. The superior room we stayed in was beautiful. The food was superb, better than last time, new chef seems to be an improvement. Only area I still think they can improve on was an eye for detail from the restaurant staff, odd mistakes were made when serving. Also we all had a sense that most staff were not being themselves, a bit too formal and rehearsed. The staff in previous visits had been much more natural/relaxed which we preferred.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel looks marvellous and the approach along the sides of Loch Torridon is worth the price alone. Reception staff were excellent and complimentary tea and coffee on arrival is a nice touch. They knew about my wife being gluten free and everything was made gluten free for her. The room was beautiful and fresh milk arrived on request within a couple of minutes. Very nice little decanter of whisky in the room. Canapés was tasty and presented with gluten free toast. We were then taken through into the dining room but had a 10-15 minute wait for our starter which was strange. Fish course was disappointing as it was a ceviche with lime juice and vodka. Unfortunately it was then drowned in passion fruit!
Main course was an excellent, perfectly cooked assortment of pork and dessert a deconstructed cranachan, good but the real thing is better.
Overall I would give them 5 for setting, room and staff, just let down by an underwhelming dinner. The ideas for dinner were excellent just needs a little more attention to the balance of sweetness and keep it simple.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I wanted to love this hotel, and in many ways I did. But... eating in the restaurant was almost comic in its preciousness. It started with the slight sense of letting the chef down when we wanted to delay ordering desert until after eating other courses... I did not know how full I would be, or whether I would have red wine to finish, thereby tempting me to cheese. During service, waiters seemed determined to get instant attention, so conversation between four of us was frequently interrupted a little more abruptly than seemed appropriate. Desert then had to be ordered rapidly and it was clear that after 9pm, the kitchen was anxious for us to speed up. I asked about cheese, and requested just the two cheddars, but this was not allowed... I had to have all five cheeses "to experience the increasing intensity". An evening meal should be fun and relaxing, as well as delicious. It was delicious, but seemed to take itself far too seriously to be either fun or relaxing.

Our room was luxurious, but I expected a better bathroom - it was oddly designed, as a large room but with only a small shower (with only a high rainfall shower head - very hard to avoid water all over your head, esp as I am short), non-heated towel rail (and rather too low to hang towels on to dry), sink too close to bath tub. The focus was all on the bath and views from the bath, which was a waste of space for a non-bath user. Generally fine, but not good enough for the price of a master room.

Having said all that, the position of the hotel and the surrounding scenery and views were wonderful. I just felt disappointed as it was expensive and didn't quite live up to expectation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jacky P
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in July for an anniversary and didnt want to leave. The Torridon is nestled in one of the most beautiful parts of our country that I've ever seen. Breathtaking scenery and this little gem of a place to stay makes it quite special. With good weather it is hard to imagine a better place. The Torridon is a fabulous place to stay, but the kitchen should have a particular mention, as the food is of such high quality; imaginative dishes that are incredibly tasty, look fantastic and easily the standard of some of the Michelin eateries we've dined at in London. Tom from Torridon activities also gets a mention. Super helpful when we wanted to explore the area on our own, off we went armed with an OS map. Well done everyone, we'll definitely be back. My Co-director is already booked up for next month!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

On a recent West Coast of Scotland trip stayed at The Torridon for 1 night. The hotel is like a castle and in a beautiful setting. It has recently crowned Pride of Britain Hotel of the year.

It is very formal, no parking by the door unless unloading/loading to maintain the appearance, but the reception was welcoming. The room was attractively decorated but did not have a view.

The bathroom has been adapted for disabled people, resulting in a very wet bathroom after a shower. The force of the shower made the shower curtain waft to such an extent that water passed over what looked like an industrial door seal across the floor that was supposed to prevent the deluge. Also the toilet seat would not stay up, so had to sit. These are only minor issues but at the prices one pays at this luxury hotel should not occur.

The food is sublime and deserves a 5 and the overall stay would have been but for the above.

The selection of whisky is most impressive and the best I have seen.

The staff are friendly but professional. I would certainly stay there again, but would avoid the room that we had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple