“Photography Wildlife Tour = AMAZING!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shetland Wildlife

Shetland Wildlife
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Sumburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 21 years of experience we are the No.1 choice for birding, mammal-watching, botanical, photographic & walking holidays in Shetland. We are also the only award-winning eco-tourism holiday business resident in Shetland. Visit us online - our site is packed with wild ideas and a choice of 40 wildlife-filled holidays. Day tours plus tailor-made & bespoke packages also arranged for individuals / groups plus boat trips, exclusive hide photography and wildlife sound recording. We also operate a portfolio of wildlife-watching and photography holidays overseas to Finland, Norway, France, Spain, Poland and Hungary. Fully Bonded by the CAA: ATOL 9151.
Guernsey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Photography Wildlife Tour = AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having just returned from this tour I can honestly say I've never had a better trip. Our guide Hugh was brilliant in every aspect from his knowledge of all Wildlife in Shetland and beyond right down to making sure we were fed and watered. He ensured we were all got the best experience out of the tour that we possibly could have and of course getting us to the right locations to take photographs that we will all treasure forever. If you are reading these reviews wondering whether this or any of the other tours they offer are going to be good enough for you then stop thinking about it and BOOK! :-) Very Highly recommended!

Visited June 2014
Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your photography trip with Shetland Wildlife. We are truly delighted to read your comments. Thank you also for contributing some of your fantastic images taken during the week with us. It was a pleasure to guide you and we look forward to you travelling with us again in the future.

Penzance, United Kingdom
“Shetland wildlife trip of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have nothing but praise for the Ultimate Shetland experience. Jon Dunn our guide and mentor was brilliant. His knowledge of the wildlife and locations was exemplary, and the element of surprise and wonder was maintained throughout. He also was unfailingly patient and the comfort and enjoyment of his guests was paramount. From long experience I would say he was the best guide I have had. He was also amusing, well informed and a fund of good stories.
The arrangements were faultless and the food was wonderful.
Even the weather was good and we only got wet once!!
Altogether an unforgettable experience I can thoroughly recommend, thanks to Hugh, Jon and the team.

Visited June 2014
Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of travelling with Shetland Wildlife, Our business prides itself on the quality and all-round skills of our naturalist guides and we are delighted to read your comments. I will certainly pass on your words to Jon who will be delighted to read them. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for choosing Shetland Wildlife.
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ultimate Shetland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having recently returned from my first trip with Shetland Wildlife, I have nothing but praise for every aspect of the experience. From the time we were met at the airport by Michelle,the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The organisation of all activities was faultless and each featured a unique and amazing experience. Hugh, our guide, was not only a superb wildlife expert, but could spot birds, seals, otters and probably ants from disconcerting distances! A first for me was a well camouflaged Wryneck which , to my shame, I would have passed without noticing if it hadn't been for Hugh. His passion for this environment was evident as was his pleasure in sharing it with us. Nothing was too much trouble from seeking a reluctant Nightjar, which, amazingly, was discovered, to helping me with my camera when I was in difficulty. The scenery was magnificent and we were shown some incredibly rare flowers. I loved the trip to Mousa at midnight and will treasure the singing Storm Petrels recording which was forwarded to me after the trip. An experience to remain in my memory forever..

1 Thank Carol W
Hugh H, Manager at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Very many thanks for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your experiences of travelling with Shetland Wildlife. We really appreciate your kind comments and are delighted you had an enjoyable trip with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on another trip in the near future and thank you once again for choosing Shetland Wildlife.
Leicestershire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ultimate Shetland May 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife & I have did the Ultimate Shetland 7 day holiday with Shetland Wildlife from 24th May and were blessed with fantastic weather with no significant rain all week. We went with another couple of friends which meant we were half of the tour group - 8 being the limit. This means you get a very personal service and miss nothing. Our guide, Hugh, lives on Shetland and is a lifelong birder with fantastic knowledge of birds and other wildlife. He was also great company to be with. But the tour is not just birds - mammals, flowers & insects are all included and we enjoyed fantastic views of otters. The itinerary on the website is for guidance only and is changed to suit weather conditions and any news of birds seen in the area. The hotels and food I think are best described as adequate but the staff are all very friendly. All the arrangements - pick ups, transfers, boat trips, ferry crossings etc worked like clockwork and no hidden extras in terms of cost. Highlight for me was perhaps being on the island of Mousa near midnight - still in twilight - watching the Storm Petrels come into their nests in the stonework of the 2000 year old Mousa broch, or seeing Bonxies (Great Skuas) take ginger nut biscuits right out of your hand on the boat trip around Noss. Just make sure you are aware that this is totally a wildlife watching holiday and if that is what you want you won't be disappointed.

Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Nottingham
“Ultimate Shetland - May 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Shetland with Shetland Wildlife holidays, expertly guided by Hugh. This truly was an amazing experience and we saw some wonderful scenery, birds and flowers despite the inclement weather! It started just 10mins after arriving at Sumburgh airport that Hugh took me to see a Wryneck!
This is only my 2nd Wildlife holiday and a very memorable one too. One of the highlights for me was the visit to the gannet colony on Noss, wow what a sight! The puffins at Sumburgh Head were such a delight and one of my favourites!
The hotels we stayed at were very comfortable and we were well looked after.
Thank you for a great holiday with memories that will stay with me for a long time!

Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of your holiday with Shetland Wildlife! We really appreciate your positive comments and we sincerely hope to see you again in the near future. Best wishes from all at Shetland Wildlife.