“Walk Shetland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shetland Wildlife

Shetland Wildlife
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Sumburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 21 years of experience we are the No.1 choice for birding, mammal-watching, botanical, photographic & walking holidays in Shetland. We are also the only award-winning eco-tourism holiday business resident in Shetland. Visit us online - our site is packed with wild ideas and a choice of 40 wildlife-filled holidays. Day tours plus tailor-made & bespoke packages also arranged for individuals / groups plus boat trips, exclusive hide photography and wildlife sound recording. We also operate a portfolio of wildlife-watching and photography holidays overseas to Finland, Norway, France, Spain, Poland and Hungary. Fully Bonded by the CAA: ATOL 9151.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Walk Shetland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2016

I went on the Ultimate Shetland tour last year and really enjoyed it so I knew that Walk Shetland would be worth every penny. As a solo traveller you worry about how you will be looked after but Shetland Wildlife see to everything and tailor their trips to suit all their clients.
The walks showed us the beauty of the islands and the variety of landscapes, geology and the fauna and flora., as well as appreciate how much the weather dictates life on Shetland. The expert knowledge and enthusiasm of our two guides Tim Stenton and Mick Durham helped us make the most of the week and to see as much as possible of the wildlife, including otters at close quarters.
The hotels were both very good, the meals excellent and largely locally sourced.
Travellers to the far north are advised to be prepared for all types of weather and Shetland Wildlife will suggest what to take with you in their pre-holiday checklist.
Altogether a wonderful trip and one to be repeated, I will certainly go again.

1 Thank 110alyson
Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 31 July 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of another trip with Shetland Wildlife! We really appreciate your comments and are delighted you had another successful trip with us. As the only award-winning wildlife holiday company in Shetland, we strive to offer not only the the best wildlife and nature-viewing opportunities but also the best customer service levels and customer experience for our travellers. Positive feedback such as yours just makes us want to work even harder and harder! I will certainly pass on your words to the hotels and naturally also to Mick and Tim who will be delighted to read them. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for travelling with Shetland Wildlife.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ultimate Shetland - everything you could wish for and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2016

A few years of dreaming and I finally took the plunge and booked as a solo traveller. What can I say other than 'Ultimate Shetland' lived up to everything I had hoped and more. Everything was taken care of so we were able to relax and enjoy the magnificent scenery, wildlife, nature and island life. Tim (our guide) worked tirelessly and totally made our holiday. Friendly, easy going, great sense of humour, knowledgable and with fantastic spotting skills, he made sure we had the best experience.
If you love nature, this is for you. The holiday has a great itinerary but with flexibility to accommodate weather and events eg quick change of plan to make sure we saw the Orcas! I saw so many firsts on this holiday from wild otters to Phalaropes, Red throated divers to Whimbrels coupled with a long list of favourites including puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Skuas, Whooper swans and a Crane! The night time trip to Mousa to see the Storm Petrels returning ashore was magical and likened only to seeing the Manx Shearwaters on Skomer.
My highlights are hard to list as there were so many but Sumburgh Head, the Gannets at Hermaness and cliffs at Eshaness with Orcas and otters and well.....the list goes on!
Hugh certainly went the extra mile locating rare plants for us to see and taking an active interest in to the needs of the group.
For me, this was the only way to experience Shetland as the dedication of the team coupled with local specialist knowledge meant we saw more than we ever would have on our own. Having our own transport throughout was useful.
Staff at Spiggie Hotel were also brilliant and made our stay very enjoyable.
From being collected at Sumburgh airport to being dropped off, everything was taken care of. Simply, I didn't want to go home! Thank you to everyone.
Practical tips would include clothes for all weathers, good walking boots and checking the very tiny cabin baggage allowance carefully if flying!

Hugh H, Manager at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 30 July 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences of travelling with Shetland Wildlife. We are truly delighted to read your comments.

As the only award-winning wildlife holiday company in Shetland, we strive to offer not only the the best wildlife and nature-viewing opportunities but also the best customer service levels and customer experience for our travellers. Positive feedback such as yours makes us want to work even harder and harder!

I will certainly pass on your words to the hotels and naturally also to Tim who will be delighted to read them. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for travelling with Shetland Wildlife.
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A trip not to miss Ultimate Shetland Wildlife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2016

Wanting to escape London life, I joined the above tour. I cannot find fault with any of it. Tim is the main man, with bionic eyes, re spotting, flowers, mammals and the geology. He made the trip for me. I was a total novice, but the others travelling with me were knowledgeable on a variety of things and I soon got into the trip. The itinerary was superlative and nothing went wrong. The accommodation used, The Speggie and the Baltasound (in Unst) were great. I cant find fault nor say anything else other than superlative. Thanks also to Michelle who sorted out the booking. However all credit must go to Tim. I fell in love with the islands and gaining knowledge and the history of the islands. Thank you all so much (including my fellow travellers)

Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 29 July 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of travelling with Shetland Wildlife, Our business prides itself on the quality and all-round skills of our naturalist guides and the relationship we have with our associates. We are truly delighted to read your comments. I will certainly pass on your words to the hotels and naturally also to Tim who will be delighted to read them. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for choosing Shetland Wildlife.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Ultimate Shetland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2016

A wonderful week with Shetland Wildlife. Tim's enthusiasm and knowledge greatly enhanced our knowledge of wildlife in Britain and made sure we made the most of opportunities. Food at Spiggie Hotel was consistently good and it is in a beautiful location. Highlight for us was seeing the orca's and the gannets at Noss and Hermaness, though enjoyed all of it. Shetland Wildlife booking and information second to none.

Chris and Connie

Hugh H, Owner at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 29 July 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of travelling with Shetland Wildlife, Our business prides itself on the quality and all-round skills of our naturalist guides and the relationship we have with our associates. We are truly delighted to read your comments. I will certainly pass on your words to the hotel and naturally also to Tim who will be delighted to read them. We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for choosing Shetland Wildlife.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2016

Everything about this holiday lived up to expectation. The wildlife, the people, the itinerary and the food were all excellent. I fell in love with Shetland and want to go back as soon as I can. I am a seasoned wildlife watcher and was impressed by the depth of knowledge of our guide, and by all the birds and mammals, the flowers and the scenery. I will be back!

Hugh H, Manager at Shetland Wildlife, responded to this review, 29 July 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of travelling with Shetland Wildlife. It was a pleasure for our business to guide you and introduce you to the wildlife that lives in the islands we call home! We sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and thank you once again for choosing to travel with Shetland Wildlife.