“Conveinent and pleasant”
Review of Sumburgh Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sumburgh
Sumburgh Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sumburgh
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nice hotel decent evening meal and breakfast was good ,rooms look a little dated but reasonably
clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Needed hotel close to airport and despite some poor reviews though it was only for one night so I booked it not expecting much. I arrived in the morning to use the lounge for an informal business meeting. My first contact was with the receptionist and the girl in the lounge bar - both very pleasant and most helpful. That evening the staff were again very helpful and polite. My room was spacious, clean and well appointed with a comfortable bed. Food in the lounge was well prepared and tasty. I spent the evening in the public bar where I felt welcome (not always the case in remote hotels with a local clientele). The staff were all welcoming, friendly and made what would otherwise have been a lonely evening a very pleasant one. I would go back tomorrow and will recommend the place to any friends or colleagues going that way. I hope to stay again sometime.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kenthewoodcutter
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We were here for the third time and we certainly will come back, whenever we want to go to Shetland. The location of this hotel is perfect ( 2 km from the airport, 1 km from the bird sanctuary of Sumburgh Head, 50m from Jarlshof). The rooms are spacious and very clean. At reception staff could not be more helpful and friendly. Great, ample breakfast and good quality food in the bar.
It is really a very nice hotel, a treat to come back to!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old building, front side!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeenLokeren_Belgium_
Reviewed 17 February 2012

After reading some terrible reviews on here but needing an airport hotel I booked this hotel.

I didn't have very high expectations but was pleasantly surprised with my room. It was in the old part and had a big bathroom and nice sized room with ok decor. The bed was comfortable and I slept well.

The terrible part was the food. I ordered a burger which on the menu said it was made by a local butcher. I imagined a nice fresh burger with chips and salad. What was served can only be described as disgusting. It was more like a frozen one that was made up of the left overs and not fresh mince. Similar to cheap catering burgers. I find it hard to believe a butcher had made it. The chips were soggy and the salad brown. I went to bed hungry.

The staff are pleasant but upon checking out was not asked if I had a nice stay.. I fear they may have preempted my response from some of the reviews previously!

What a shame, Scotland has some of the finest ingredients and this place could be so much better if it used than rather than cheap inedible ones.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Looby82
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The location next to the Jarlshof historic site is brilliant, and it is also close to the RSPB site at Sumburgh Head, and there aren't many other places to stay. The hotel is an old building with good parts e.g the dining room and the original bedrooms, But the hotel has been poorly extended with a 2 storey flat roof section. We had a room in the new part, with a window which looked out onto a wall about a metre away !! Some friends had a room in the original building, which was spacious with views out to sea and over the 3000 year old Norse settlement. It is very much a one-night stay place for tour parties, but it also seems to serve a local pub for the sparse local population

Room Tip: Get a sea facing room in the old part of the hotel. If you have to stay in the new building, get a r...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We didn't stay in this hotel so apologies if you're looking for a review of rooms.
We came off a cruise ship and took the local bus to see Jarlshof. As we got off the driver told us there would be a return bus at 3.30
After visiting the site we had lunch in this hotel - perfectly fine food.
When we went to the bus stop we discovered there was no 3.30 bus listed and the next was too late to get us back to the ship.
We walked back up to the hotel and a VERY kind man (manager/owner??) told us the bus went from the airport non- stop to Lerwick. He gave us a lift to the airport and also picked up 2 American fellow passengers who were walking to the airport.
Thank you for saving the day!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank scottishtraveller-7
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My wife and I had a meal here on Friday night 2nd Sept - in the bar as the restaurant was closed. We ordered salmon and smoked haddock when they arrived both were swimming in at least 3 millimetres of liquid - the fish wasn't bad but everything else was just awful. My advice is don't go and if you do don't order food!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank terryams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumburgh
Scalloway Hotel
The Moorfield Hotel
Kveldsro House
Kveldsro House
#1 of 6 in Lerwick

Been to Sumburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!