“Evening meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Evening meal”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel looks pretty dated inside and is in need of some new furnishings and decor, including the restaurant and bar area. We had an evening meal here which was an average "Pub meal". The staff were very polite and courteous, plus they managed to offer us a table even though we had not booked. If you are just looking for some basic pub food to go with a drinks night out it is adequate but if you are seeking somewhere for a romantic couples meal with ambiance or a more special meal then I would give it a miss.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Helen W

Shetland traveller
“Manageress with a customer attitude bordering on Fawlty Towers!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Two visits here in the space of a week: One for coffee (party of 8) and one for lunch (party of 7) 3 days apart. On both occasions the woman in charge (I would hate to call her a lady) barked instructions at us and lacked any attempt at empathy. Such a shame since the rest of the staff were lovely. We were treated like an inconvenience: she and Basil Fawlty would, I'm sure, get along swell. Judging from other customers comments on trip advisor, this problem has existed for a while and the hotel hasn't made any attempt at "retraining" (or training) this person. They should be embarrassed to be treating their guests this way - I was embarrassed for my guests. Food-wise; very nice coffee / hot chocolate. Long wait for food at lunchtime, small portions but otherwise OK (3/5). We won't be back in a hurry unless we hear that the person concerned has either mended her ways or gone elsewhere. Disappointed not to be made welcomed and treated with civility. Woof! Woof! :(

• Visited April 2014
London, UK
“Lounge bar food great”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Have eaten in the lounge bar here a few times. Often need to phone ahead to book, such is the popularity. Good local food, well prepared and excellent portions. Staff always helpful.
Menu has a lot of choice, yet food always seems fresh. Possibly the best place to eat in Shetland, and certainly the best South of Lerwick.

• Visited May 2014
“Average food, average service.”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Can't remember how much I paid for my meal, but I had fish and chips with peas. My friends enjoyed the seafood but to be honest it was something I could have made myself at home, probably better quality too. Was disappointed since it's in such a great location for tourism (our friends were visiting from America, we took them to see the sights and then we came here for dinner). Went for dinner the other week too, my boyfriend had the burger and it was poor quality for what he paid for it. Trying to recall how the service was but honestly can't remember seeing any staff apart from the one who showed us to the table. Service can really improve a visit but it wasn't memorable. Shame!

• Visited March 2014
Lerwick
“Really pleasant staff”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've been for a few bar lunches recently and was really impressed with how pleasant & friendly the staff were.

Visited February 2014