“Another great stay”
Review of Baltasound Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baltasound
Baltasound Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baltasound
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our third visit to Baltasound Hotel and we were not disappointed. Yes, the hotel is a bit run down in places, but the owners are improving it every year. Our room was, as usual, spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. I particularly liked the funky tap in the bathroom! This time we were in the main building and I preferred that as we didn't need to go out in the wind and rain when we went for meals! Service was efficient and very friendly. Food was the usual high standard. And the wine list was good, and not too pricey. We went for the special Valentines weekend and it was superb value. Hope to make it back next year if not sooner!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacquiandJohn

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Myself and a colleague needed accommodation on Unst for a few nights out of season, and althought the hotel was officially closed, we were offered rooms but on a limited service. We were unsure what to expect, but were thoroughly impressed upon arrival. The owner had placed us in the main hotel building, as the weather was awful, and although we weren't really expecting an evening meal or breakfast, he provided both! On the second night, more guests were staying, so we had more option for evening meals, and the food was absolutly delicious - sourced fresh for the day. The rooms were comfortable and cosy, with wifi and tv, and independent heaters!

Our plans ended up changing at the last minute, so rather than being on mainland Shetland for the last day of our trip, we were up on Unst again, so needed a room short notice, and yet again the hotel put us up and provided limited meal service.

You really cant beat that kind of friendly welcome, and go out the way attitude! I will deifinitly be staying at the Baltasound again - affordable and excellent.

Room Tip: I havent stayed in the lodges outside, but the hotel building is very comfortable. The weather made...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ConundrumFarm
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I came here out of season and a cabin was opened up just for me, the first sign of just how far the hosts will go to make sure you feel cared for. My cabin was ace, always warm and cosy which was just as well as it was wonderfully cold up there (February 2013, this is an incredibly belated review for no reason except I'm a procrastinator). We even got stuck in a blizzard on Hermaness one day which was actually great fun. That was the one day that we didn't manage to hitch a lift and called the owner Steven for a taxi number. No worries he says, I'll come pick you up. How about that for service?! Food was great a the hotel too, one night was local fish cooked perfectly by Steven's sister Sharn, and another we had Chinese cooked by a chef who'd come up from Lerwick for the evening. I can't fault the Baltasound Hotel in any way and I'll back as soon as I can - as everyone kept saying: "You'll have to come back in the summer!"

Room Tip: No idea what the hotel rooms are like, I was happy in my groovy little cabin!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed in one of the log cabins for three nights. The accomodation was very good. What we liked even more, was the delicious breakfast in a nice room with large windows, where you could watch sheep grazing. Equally delicious was dinner. We were offered a range of dishes to choose from, including a number of starters and desserts. All the service personnel was very friendly and helpful, the atmosphere was very relaxed. A place to enjoy and unwind!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wolfershausen
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We visited the hotel for a 2 night stay whilst on a shetland wildlife trip. We stayed in one of the log cabins .The cabin was welcoming with the room cozy and warm. We had sufficient storage space for our clothes etc for our short stay, but any longer we may have struggled.The only down size was the shower area was a tad too cramped. But again ok for the short stay.
We stayed at the Baltasound last year for 2 nights and my memory was the excellent food we enjoyed and we were not disappointed on our recent stay..The Scottish breakfeast ,starting with "proper porridge", set up for the day.There was a good selection to choose from for your evening meal with the food very well cooked and presented by a friendly member of staff.
One aspect which stands out at the Baltasound is the friendly,helpful and welcoming staff.Nothing seems too much trouble.We have enjoyed staying there and look forward to visiting next Autumn.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robert c
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed in one of the cabins for 3 nights. The cabin was cozy and kept the raging wind at bay. I suppose the bathroom (especially the shower) could be improved as it was quite cramped even for me (and I am small) but overall I found it to be fine for my short stay and more importantly, clean.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was a bit hit and miss as on some evenings it was excellent while on others it was a bit dodgy. The breakfast were always consistently good.

The location is excellent for exploring Unst and nearby Islands.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank n0tjustabirder
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed in one of the cabins for 5 nights. The cabin was cozy and warm and coped with the storms really well. The bathroom could be improved, especially the dripping tap, but it was functionally and okay.
Staff were very friendly and personal and made us very welcome. Food was good and we especially enjoyed the Chinese night.
Slight issues with the room cleaning but that was soon sorted after we mentioned it.
Overall a really good place and ideal location for exploring the northern isles.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Baltasound Hotel? Share your experiences!