“A little Gem”

The Old Haa
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Yell
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Local history museum with art gallery, tearoom and shop selling local crafts. Open April to September
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Small but very interesting and packed with history.
The Cakes were to die for and the overall hospitality was memorable

Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

The Old Haa at Burravoe is quite special. It's open from May to the end of September every day except Monday and Friday if my memory serves me correctly.
I visited this museum quite a few times in 2011 and 2012 and really enjoyed it. The museum is really interesting and I learned lots about life on Yell, the wildlife and the famous Bobby Tulloch. I then went into the little cafe where Nita served me really yummy home made cakes that she makes herself. At only £1.20 a slice....I always have 2!! While enjoying them I always have a very interesting chat with Nita and I find out what's happening locally, what it's like on Yell and the other islands, discuss places I should visit etc. She is a lovely last and makes the Old Haa really special.
Nita also runs the tiny shop in the Old Haa. The shop sells all kinds of trinkets, crafts and gifts. Something for everyone in all price ranges and a lot of the things are produced locally.
Every month or so there is a different artist and display in the Old Haa and occasionally on the opening day of the new exhibition there is a *bit of a do* where people gather to meet the artist/crafts person and have a chat. These are worth going too as well.

My perfect *Yell* day out is to visit a gorgeous beach for a lovely stroll and to admire the views and wildlife, visit the Old Haa for cake and a look round the shop and museum and then go off to Aywick Stores for petrol and a look round Mary's shop and the Cancer Charity Shop (see Aywick Stores review).

3  Thank Faith C