The Marine Hotel
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Room Service
2,193 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiestwo fat ladiesgolf coursesteam roomspa breakdeluxe roomleisure cluban upgradesea viewafternoon teabar areabirthday treatlovely hotelfirst classshort breakevening mealroyal troon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Marine Hotel on Friday 28th Feb. Keen to stay here, even though the most recent reviews had not been the most praising we remained positive. We booked a deal including dinner, wine and breakfast. On arrival we were met by a very chatty and extremely helpful receptionist, as we arrived early (around 1) we made use of the ‘Spa’ facilities which consisted of a large warm pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and dated Stream room – the Spa section showed signs of a little wear and tear but overall no complaints and we left refreshed.

We returned to check-in with our room ready – brilliant view and smart room (Thank you A.D), luggage was delivered a few minutes later. Next, Afternoon Tea in the Arran Bar; Afternoon Tea is one of our favourite parts of staying in hotel. Relaxed, we ordered our Tea from the exceptionally helpful waitress who swapped egg mayo for coronation chicken sandwiches to suit us; after a 5-10 min wait our Afternoon Tea was delivered as we chatted. We found the sandwiches a little dried and wilted, our ham sandwich had half a slice of gammon which was really poor. We did not feel it met the asking price of £25.00 between 2. We have experienced enjoyable afternoon teas for much less with a much more substantial serving. Maybe it could have been different in the Two Fat Ladies?

Onto dinner. Dinner was fantastic and we both had an excellent time dining in the flagship Fat Ladies Restaurant to an enjoyable 3 course meal including drinks – this was superb value and excellent service, being picky; plates were finished at dessert and were left sitting 15 minutes before being taken away. After our meal we sat down for a few drinks in the Arran Bar before bed, pricey but it is a hotel after all and with the excellent value on DB&B we couldn’t moan.

Breakfast in the morning, again another fantastic serving and very enjoyable. We checked out totally fulfilled, satisfied and refreshed over our one night stay and setup for the day ahead. I would thoroughly recommend the Troon Marine Hotel for a stay – maybe steer clear of the Afternoon Tea. Staff were some of the most helpful and smiley I have experienced and done very well to assist and help where-ever possible.

Overall rating - Excellent - very pleased even though there were some niggles; we are fussy couple!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PD9
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for the review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and very pleased that so many aspects were so positive. I appreciate the criticisms and will address pass these to the relevant departments. Thanks for staying with us and I hope we see you soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

From check-in on Fri afternoon to check-out Saturday we found all staff to be very helpful and friendly. Room had no view but that was fine as all public rooms overlooked the sea. We were there on a 'deal' and unlike a lot of these discount voucher deals we found everything 1st rate. Dinner & breakfast were very good. Food nice & staff attentive. Used the leisure facilities too and all felt very relaxed after swim & Jacuzzi. I will be back here for a quick recharge of batteries soon. Thanks all

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank NEWHORIZONSGlasgow

Thanks for the great review. I am so pleased that you felt refreshed upon leaving us, its what we aim to deliver every time. I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed another lovely break at this hotel..one thing I would say is that you must upgrade your room tho as the rooms that face back of hotel are very small!..restuarant is really good now that 2 fat ladies have taken over!!

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

From checkin to checkout so much was of a lesser standard than expected.The female in charge of reception was the worst we have ever encountered.The room they 1st gave us was not cleaned,smaller than booked and with someone else's details lying around.No apologies just another number threw at us at reception and off up we went again.The deluxe room was meant to have a double bed but it had a zip & link which I hate and had proof in email that I would not get one....apparently even after showing the email I was wrong!We had 2 small towels and a holey bathrobe(which I don't normally use but the room was freezing) I rang for more towels & got them 16hours later!The rooms do need a lick of paint and some repair work on the windows,ours was so cold I left an electric heater on which then clicked all night. Breakfast was lovely however it does seem a common theme to run out of beans. Afternoon Tea was the worst we have ever had .We had asked reception to pass on the small detail of my partner not being able to eat butter yet the sandwiches came covered and we had to wait a further half hour for more.The middle tier of "treats" were not at all as you see on the picture but hard balls of sugar and fruit loaf,all of which I left,and finally we had cold coffee which was sent back with clear tea in a pot and no sign of a teabag anywhere. The best thing about the hotel was the restaurant "The Two Fat Ladies" ,the food was delicious and the staff very hard working and polite.The area is also fab with gorgeous views but sadly we wont be returning because never will I let anyone speak to me again as the head of reception did. Finally ,I did complain to Puma hotels about her as she invited me to do so and they were lovely as was the manager of the hotel who rang up to apologise.They obviously deal with their problems which is great but a shame he wasn't there at the time because maybe we would have left with a better feeling & not the memory of an aggressive stroppy receptionist.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jotamarindo

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you experienced any issues during your stay but do thank you for staying with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to leave you with a better impression of us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just spent the weekend at the Marine, situated about a mile from the small seaside town of Troon in Ayrshire. The proximity to the town makes it ideal for an afternoon stroll if the weather is OK, otherwise the leisure facilities make for a relaxing stay. Although Troon is a resort, the Scottish weather makes this a better bet for a winter break (in my opinion).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the great review. I am very pleased that your stay was so enjoyable. Thanks for staying with us and I hope we see you again soon.