“Arran View” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Troon
“Arran View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Enjoyed an overnight stay here with dinner in the Fat Ladies restaurant.
It was a great break, food was excellent , staff friendly and helpful , the room clean and comfortable.
Really could not fault it for a short break fantastic views across to Arran and plenty of easy walks close by.
The hotel is also well placed for visits to the local towns of Troon and Prestwick while Ayr and further South is an easy drive away.
Should also mention a comfortable spa with a decent pool in the hotel and several golf courses nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room the views are marvellous
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martybare
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thanks for the review. Its great to see that you were able to take advantage of the various walks close to the hotel, we are lucky that we have such a brilliant location to do just that, additionally the sunsets are spectacular! I am delighted you had a good time. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
ayrshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We had a lovely relaxing overnight spa break at the Marine in Troon. The staff were friendly and helpful, the twin room was spacious, the beds comfy and we had everything we needed for an enjoyable stay. The food in the lounge tasted great and breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the hotel.

If you you are staying one night I'd suggest a late check out so you can have time to use the leisure facilities in the morning- or maybe we should have gotten up a bit earlier xx

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view or one over the golf course
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review, I really pleased that you enjoyed your time here. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we see you again soon!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for a couple of nights on a short break. The hotel overlooks Royal Troon Golf Course and if you are a golfer, there are plenty of courses to choose from within easy distance of the hotel. The room we had was quite small, but everything we needed was there and worked perfectly well.We ate in the restaurant one evening and found the service and food very good. Breakfasts plentiful.Although we didn't use the leisure facilities, we viewed the pool from the lounge/bar area, and it looked good. Much enjoyed the short break there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the lovely review. We aim to provide a restful experience and I am delighted that you found that, we only maintain a high standard by listening to our guests so it is very encouraging to read such great feedback.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Booked a spa session through itison for my daughter and myself. Decided to try an overnight stay too. The twin room was spacious and clean. The spa treatments were excellent. The facial Carly gave was the best I've ever had. The pool area was clean and staff were very helpful. The lunch and dinner in the two fat ladies restaurant was excellent. Overall a very enjoyable overnight break.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I very much hope that we will see you again soon.
Paisley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Puma hotel has T & Cs stating if they overbook they can cancel your reservation. THEY DO. No compensation for travel arrangements already made but did offer alternative hotel of a lesser quality. Staff suggest you rebook at another time (love to move the birthday back a few years) and carried a three way conversation about another customer while I phoned. The do not care. A bad advert for this hotel, hotel group and Scotland. I could not recommend this hotel because of their booking and cancellation policy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelmhg
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
I am very sorry about your experience, as I said when we spoke the mistake was entirely ours and I apologise for that. We took the decision to try and make alternative arrangements as early as possible to minimise disruption. We had alternative accommodation at an equivalent hotel (four star) nearby and I am sorry that this was not suitable.
It is a situation that thankfully we very rarely find ourselves in but I would not and did not attempt to excuse it in the slightest. Once again I am very sorry for our error.
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Marine is situated at the far end of Troon, the very last building, so it has an "edge of the world" feeling about it, which is perfect for a restful getaway break. To open the curtains to a huge blue sky all around was just what I needed.It is also very comfortable, with all saff very helpful ,efficient and friendly

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Pshrig
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for the great review, the location of the hotel is particularly stunning and I am delighted that you enjoyed it! I hope we see you again soon.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked to stay in this hotel through a 5pm deal. I booked well in advance for a special anniversary night away with my husband. I was notified two weeks before our arrival that there had been an 'overbooking' problem and our reservation had been cancelled - just like that!! I wrote to express my disappointment but got nowhere other than to be offered an alternative hotel in Irvine (really?!) a 3* hotel I'd never heard of or another date - but who would book again having been let down so badly. So, fellow travelers be wary! The hotel presumably got full price for our night and binned our booking without any thought.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Janie148
Thank you for your review. It is certainly true that we were overbooked and unfortunately that meant we needed to move some bookings to alternate hotels. We chose to call well ahead of time in order that this could be organised well in advance and gave three options which was two alternative hotels close by and as a final option to move dates if this was convenient.

There is no upside in this for us at all and we will make no excuse at all for this issue. Thankfully it is a problem that we rarely have. The overbooking was entirely our fault and we attempted to deal with it in the best possible way. I am sorry that this was not possible in your case and fully understand your irritation. However it is unfair to suggest that the overbooking was a result of anything other than a very regrettable mistake.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,410 reviews
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!