“Lots of little niggles = one big annoyance”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Lots of little niggles = one big annoyance”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed with my husband overnight 21st June. This was a surprise overnight break for him. First impressions from outside looked good. A little wait to check in as a few in front of us, but girl on desk nice with good service. Allocated room and made our way there. Room was clean, big bed and nice view from window. No iron in room but was replaced quickly when asked.

Was in room 10 min and unpacking when we heard someone trying to get into our room. Their card opened our door. The guests then told us we had to change room and someone from reception would be up shortly to tell us as they needed a twin room and our double could change to 2 singles while their double didn't. We phoned reception and the guests were told to go back to reception. I could have been getting changed, undressed or out the room for anyone to come in and mess with our stuff. This incident was a bad start to a meant to be lovely break. Someone from reception came to apologise saying it was a computer error. We went to the bar and on returning to the room our card had been deactivated due to the earlier mix up, so another walk to reception, and computer error, no apology.

Now to dinner. Shown to out table and given menus, only for the wine list menu to be an empty folder. Ordered our dinner, husband enjoyed his meal(beef) mine was OK(lamb). Husband did find the whole serving platter and fold down table a bit amusing and unnecessary. Asked if we wanted more bread and said yes please...we are still waiting. Asked if we wanted the dessert menu said yes please.. and had to ask again 20 min later as he forgot. When it was given it was just put down quickly and no sorry or told what the special dessert was. Eventually ordered dessert and took 30 min to bring it. We were just about to walk out and leave it. It was the same boy every time. Craig be more attentive. When asked as leaving if everything was ok, we did say service was a bit disappointing, and was told sorry its been a busy night.

OK so fresh head and down to breakfast. Shown to our table set for 4. Noticed that the table cover was crummy and stained from previous breakfast people. The ? restaurant manager came over to separate the table for another party of 2. My husbands napkin was on the other table and was almost thrown to his plate, with no words from the manager as he moved the table. The salt pepper and teaspoons also all went with the table. Breakfast came and was very tasty. Again brought out by manager and only words from him was scrambled egg. Put down plates and walked away. Young blonde waitress Laura was very nice and helpful.

We had late check out with our room (1pm), but felt rushed when maids knocked at door at 1030 to see if we were going soon.

I have stayed at a lot of hotels and don't mind one or two mishaps, but when a lot of silly issues and basic customer service is continually lacking, it does get annoying.

3 Thank caught0b
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your review, as I said in my email to you there is little to excuse the room error but I am confident that it will not reoccur. As for the restaurant I apologise for any issues and your feedback has been discussed with the team and is used positively to improve our offer. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Perfect location for golfers, overlooking the links of Royal Troon and the Atlantic Ocean. Many others great courses within a ten minute drive.
Nice hotel, would suggest you book a deluxe double so you get the sea view as some of the normal double are on the small side. Only stayed for one night but enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast which was ample to get through a round of golf.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe double.
1 Thank Jlincoln55
Thank you for the lovely review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, our location is stunning. I am pleased that you enjoyed breakfast and felt set up for the day! I hope that we will see you again soon.
Sabaudia, Italy
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel is very big and rooms are clean and comfortable. In front there is a golf club so there is a nice green view. I was lucky with a nice sunny day, so I could stay in the open patio for a drink. Troon city center is 20 minutes walk. Personnel very kind and helpful. Super breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MariKris
Thank you for your review. It is very encouraging to read such great feedback! Thanks for staying with us and I hope we will see you again soon.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The service at this hotel is awful. I booked more than 6 months before my stay, specifically choosing the hotel because it was near to a wedding that I was attending in Troon. I wanted it to be a nice weekend away for me and my partner. 2 months before my stay I confirmed over the phone that everything was ok. However, just 4 days before I was due to travel, I was left a message saying they had over booked and I was being bumped to a nearby hotel, along with 10 OTHER PEOPLE who I know that were attending the same wedding.

We were promised this would be an upgrade, but it was far from it. They sent me to a stuffy hotel with no pool, no sea view, no air-con - and situated next to a LANDFILL site!! With no air-con I had to sleep with the window open breathing in landfill smells all night. This was a downgrade, not an upgrade. The Marine hotel weren't even sorry for the inconvenience they caused.

Stay well clear.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
6 Thank Daveburke82
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thanks for the review, however your account is very unfair and inaccurate. It is regrettable that we were overbooked and regrettable that you were out booked, it is not a position that we chose to be in. We were highly apologetic. We not only paid for taxis to and from the event but also your accommodation. Additionally you were moved to a four star hotel that is rated very highly on this site and many others that is about 5 minutes drive from ourselves.
Despite the unfortunate circumstances I feel that we went about as far as we were able to compensate and minimise the disruption. I am sorry that this was not good enough.
Troon
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Marine Hotel is an extremely welcoming hotel where the staff really care about the customers enjoying their stay. We stayed to play golf locally but this is a great hotel even if you're not golfing. We dined at the hotel and the food was excellent. The bar was very sociable and we chatted with many other guests. The rooms were extremely comfortable and kept lovely and clean. We had great weather and great golf and would definitely recommend this as a lovely hotel to stay at on the west coast of Scotland

2 Thank BSykes45
Thanks for the great review! I am very pleased that you had such a lovely stay and I do hope that we will see you again soon.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Sadly only a short 24 hour stay as we visited Troon to attend a wedding. The hotel is in a very nice location and we were made to feel very welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Nothing was too much trouble, and the staff were very friendly. Breakfast the morning we checked out was really good - although there was a mix up with our order, these things happen and it was dealt with very well. The range / choice and quality was spot on. I wish we could have stayed for longer.

2 Thank ASummerton
Thank you for the great review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and very happy to see that we corrected an error with your order quickly and efficiently. Thanks for staying with us and I hope that we will see you for longer next time.
Glasgow
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Went mainly for a quick break and to try the Two Fat Ladies restaurant. Weather was great so the coastal location was excellent. Staff were very good and attentive. Dinner was very good although the menu was a little unadventurous but saying that the experience was very enjoyable and would go back.

1 Thank ronniewood
Thank you very much for the review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you enjoyed your meal. I appreciate the criticism as well, we are always working to be the best version of ourselves so perhaps next time we will make "excellent"! Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!