“3 star experience”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having enjoyed breaks at the Marine in the past I've got to say I was very disappointed.Our room overlooked a brick wall.The evening meal was the worst part.We had to wait ages for anyone to attend to us and another long wait before anything arrived on the table.This was the case for most of us and as there was no background music it felt like being in a waiting room.The menu and cuisine were average,not 4 star. They even charge extra almost £5, for kippers or eggs Benedict at breakfast!- this is common fayre for 4 star hotels.Staff at reception were professional and helpful but the same could not be said about the bar staff.Prices are 4 star but sadly the experience no longer is.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank 70yvonne70
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review, I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, all of the feedback we receive is used to maintain our high standard and whilst I am sorry for any lapse in standard I appreciate you passing the comments on. I do hope that we will see you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,153)

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This magnificent hotel has the best location overlooking the golf course and sea. It was clean, well maintained, quiet and interesting. The hotel staff were exceptional, particularly Kimberley on reception who could not have been more bubbly and welcoming if she tried! The food was fantastic, top quality and delicious. The waiters were more than helpful, and quite honestly can't fault a thing about this stay and we are seasoned travellers.
If you get chance to stay at this hotel, then grab it, you won't be disappointed.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 2dallies

Thanks for the great review. We work hard to maintain a high standard and it is massively encouraging to read such good comments. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our room was at the back of the hotel and had no view as such although it was comfortable and clean. As this was a Groupon deal, which included a £40 voucher, we couldn't really expect the best room. The spa facilities and pool were very good. The meal in The Two Fat Ladies resturant was good with a lovely view of the golf course. Obviously this hotel is in a great location if you were planning to use the golf course.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The service excelled our expectations Our room was stunning overlooking the golf course and beach Evening meal in the "Two Fat Ladies" restaurant was first class and reasonably priced I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank foxy32Glasgow

Thank you very much for the review. It is very encouraging to read such great feedback, thanks for choosing to stay and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Booked a one night stay away for my wife's birthday to be told they had no trace of my booking.1.got given a room with a view of a brick wall after paying for a deluxe room.2 when back to reception to be told no deluxe room left we will give you a refund of 20 quid.3 asked if my wife good basically change her birthday to another weekend, as if.all in all you expect better don'tyou.oh also told it was aAmazon fault for the booking been wrong .also a lie.just terrible.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thommacks

Thanks for the second review of your stay. As I said in my earlier reply I am sorry for the mix up with your reservation. Your situation was most regrettable and I am sorry that you left before we had the chance to make amends.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We had a one night stay and if you expect 4 star that is not what this hotel is . We had to ask for room change as first one had marked first carpet , one small window that would not stay open - very warm day and no air conditioning . The staff did kindly give us another room , it was cleaner , but had steamed up double glazing and wallpaper coming off in places . The whole hotel has dated worn carpets and all the glass doors were covered in hand marks . The staff were helpful but you had to wait for service . I did give direct feedback to the hotel . But this is just a note for other customers as for £175 a night with a 4 star rating I expect much more . Unless hotel is updated I will not use again .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AS2012

Thank you for the review. It is disappointing that you were not happier with your stay but I thank you for your comments. I hope that we will have another chance to impress in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

From our arrival, when we were greeted by Kimberley, until we left, we never encountered any staff who were anything but cheery and helpful. Whether from housekeeping, bar, or restaurant!
Getting buckets of ice and glasses was no problem, at all.
Our room was nice, with a view out to sea, and over Royal Troon Golf course. It was fine for 2 nights, but perhaps a bit small, if you were staying longer.
The bed was only a double, which felt small, when you're used to larger beds!
There is free wifi in the rooms, which was good.
We had dinner on 1 night, and 2 breakfasts. The food was good and tasty, but, nothing to rave about. The excess charge on some of the breakfast items was a bit excessive.
Overall, though, we had a very nice time, and I would have no hesitation in returning for another short break!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I very much hope that we will see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!