“Excellent restaurant small but comfortable rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Troon
Highgrove House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Troon B&B and Inns
“Excellent restaurant small but comfortable rooms”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here two nights during our golf trip. We used 8 of the 10 rooms. The rooms are small in general although room 1 is quite large. But all rooms are fine. The restaurant was very active both evenings and the food and service was great, The seafood was especially good. The favorite appetizer was the goat cheese wrapped in prosciutto. The clam chowder was also a very large serving and popular with our group.

Room Tip: Room one has a large tub and is the largest room that I saw, Room 10 is small but faces the road...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bmac48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Nice clean hotel, good food, staff ok, shame room so small and same price as bigger rooms, doesn't seem right, wnen queried told there are smaller rooms, mmm, maybe singles. Bathroom as big as room, barely enough room to get between bed and wardrobe.
Lovely scenery around the hotel
Enjoyed the athletics

Room Tip: No 1 apparently
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We went to the Highgrove yesterday for Sunday lunch following a recommendation from a friend.

The restaurant itself is nice with lovely views of green fields and the sea. There was a nice atmosphere too.

We were presented with our menus and had to wait around 20 minutes before anyone came back to take our order.

The starters came which were lovely, even if the waitress clattered each dish off the glass table when serving. I had the traditional mussels (the sauce was to die for) and my partner had the squid. We were both very satisfied and looking forward to our main courses.

Once we finished our starters we waited around 25 minutes before anyone came over to clear our plates away. At this point our glasses were empty but no one came near us to ask if we wanted more drinks. We waited a further 35 minutes (an hour in total) and still no one had approached our table to take a drinks order. My partner eventually went to the bar and ordered.

Another 10 minutes and our mains arrived. I ordered the roast beef in a red wine jus from the specials menu and it was lovely. My partner ordered the bang bang prawns. We weren't sure what to expect but when it came like a prawn salad he was quite happy. We were unaware that we were also to receive chips and vegetables, which arrived 15 minutes after we had been served our main dishes....

Again, once finished our mains we waited a long time before anyone came to clear the plates and offer dessert.

What was annoying is that the staff did not seem rushed off of their feet, there seemed to be a lot of standing about.

Overall a lovely meal but this was spoiled by the slow, poor service. We have friends coming over next week from America and had planned to take them to the Highgrove, however not any more. We will be taking them to the Seamill Hydro where we had dinner last week and the staff and manager Norman could not do enough for us. Take note Highgrove!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Coleen T
Bearsden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Took us a wee while to find it . Even as we drove up the country road towards it, there was no sign towards our direction, and had been none at the turn off to that road which may have been The Loans. Once there however , it was all very worth while. Lovely day in beautiful surroundings. Very good food -lunch- and attention from helpful staff. This was on the 1st July
2014 .Will go back !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karine D
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Visited the Highgrove a few times and always enjoyed my visits due to the staff making you feel wanted. In the past we have always felt special in a classy way without being stuffy. However today was different. I felt they had taken on more than they could handle. A few big parties were in and I would never wish any business to turn away business if they can handle it but unfortunately they couldn't!
The restaurant was very noisey and not the usual atmosphere I've experienced over the years. Our main course took just shy of an hour & a half to be served, whilst we were in no hurry no staff made contact in this time to offer more drinks or to advise service maybe slow due to the larger parties.
All that said the food was to its usual high standard with plenty of choice including a vegetarian menu (if you ask for it!). The portions were of a good size and piping hot. The staff were all pleasant although stretched. In the past we were served a piece of tablet with coffee which no longer seems to be the case, whilst it wasn't needed it was a nice touch.
I would be happy to return but not when they have more than one large party in, if they accept large parties they should have the staff to keep the service high.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chalky68
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've stayed at Highgrove House many times over the last five years for business and pleasure and I can honestly say that I have always been impressed by the consistently high standard maintained by the team there. The food is always a delight to look forward to but just try and leave room for the desserts which are great. I usually have a fish dish from the menu and really enjoy the poached halibut in particular. The rooms were recently re-decorated and are very spacious and comfortable.

The staff work hard as the restaurant is usually busy but in my experience they are always cheerful and ready to assist. Breakfast is another treat, especially on a sunny morning sitting at a window table looking over the bay to Ailsa Craig.

I always look forward to a return visit to Highgrove.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
kilwinning
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked a table for 8pm on Saturday night and arrived at 7.35pm where I was shown to the lounge to wait for our guests and tables. I was advised that someone would be over to take my drinks order shortly. At 7.50 my husband went over to the bar to order our drinks and was advised it was waiter service so someone would be with us soon. On explaining the length of time the order was taken and advised it would be over to us soon. The drinks arrived at 8.05pm.

At no point did anyone advise that there would be a delay in being seated. At 8.30 pm we spoke to a member of staff who said he would bring us menus so that we could order our meal so that we didn't have to wait to long once we got our table as they were very busy. No apology just fact. we ordered our meal and I aske for no mushrooms in my stroganoff, whilst I accepted that the sauce would have it.

We eventually got our table at 8.45pm and our starters were fantastic and sat back to enjoy the rest of the night. Our main meals arrived however my meal came with extra mushrooms which they agreed was not correct and took this away. The rest of the party then finished their main meal and I still had not received mine. It did eventually arrive and we had no complaints with the food but the service was bad and was not about to become horrific.

We had to ask if we could have a desert menu 20 minutes after I had finished my meal to which the girls eyebrows went up in the air and had to ask for someone else to take the order as we didn't see her again.

We just started eating our desert when the staff starting stripping the tables and ironing the table covers whilst we were still eating, and we were not the only people in the restaurant . At no point were we asked if we wanted coffee etc. We asked for the bill and when the girl arrived with it and I showed my card she stated you need to take that reception and walked away.

I went to reception and had to shout for someone to come and take the payment. The man that took the payment didn't say anything so when he gave me my receipt I stated you didn't ask me for feed back but here is my card if you would like some. He did not try to turn this around by asking anything he just looked at me.

As a business owner I am fully aware that customer service is the key to success and that mistakes can sometimes happen. I feel that I have given Costleys more than enough time to contact me to discuss my experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank shona t
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Gailes Restaurant and Hotel
Carlton Hotel Prestwick
Carlton Hotel Prestwick
#2 of 6 in Prestwick

Been to Highgrove House Hotel? Share your experiences!