“Ok stay.”

Piersland House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed in Piersland House on Saturday 9th March 2013 with my husband who had booked a night away for my Birthday. I was so looking forward to this trip as we have been for meals several times and always been impressed with the standard of food and service. We stayed in one of the lodge rooms which was well decorated and very clean. My husband had upgraded our package to include wine & chocolates and this was waiting in the room when we arrived. The main problem we had with the room was the overwhelming smell of cigarettes, it was awful. In an attempt to clear the smell the room window had been left opened fully, despite the fact it was blowing a gale outside this had done nothing to help but had left the room freezing cold although this was sorted by putting up the heater in the room. We decided to try and put up this in the hope the smell would fade after time. We had dinner in the hotel and to be honest this time I was disappointed. While the food itself was fine it was all very rushed, the staff seemed to be in a hurry almost as if they wanted the area cleared asap. Our starter plates were cleared and our main course arrived a maximum of 90 seconds later! We were not asked if we wanted our main course immediately after the starter and if we had been we would have said no - this has not happened on previous visits and again just made us feel as if eveything was being rushed. After our meal, once our plates had been cleared we wanted to order a drink, we waited for a waiter, we waited and waited but no one was to be found. My husband went up to the bar and had a look about for someone but the bar was unmaned. The service just seemed to be lacking in comparison to previous visits we have made. Breakfast the next day was fine other than the most disgusting scrambled eggs I have ever seen in my life, they literally floated around my plate. When my virtually full plate was collected I was asked if the eggs were too runny for me? Yes I replied, to be told I should have asked for them dry when I ordered!! I have never, ever had to make such a request in any hotel, guest house or b&b I have ever stayed in.

This stay promised much but just didn't quite deliver. Would I go for a meal again? Yes I would based on past experience, they may just have been having a bad night. Had this been my first visit I don't think I would go back. Would I stay again? No I don't think I would. I would stay at the Marine Hotel across the road where I have had a better experience.

1  Thank LINDA1812

Reviewed 31 March 2013

My husband and friends of ours have just returned from an overnight stay in this fabulous hotel. It certainly ticked all the boxes for us all. We could not fault a thing. We had booked in advance for dinner/bed breakfast....dinner was £15 per person and what a meal...lovely presentation and staff delightful,cannot believe we only paid that, for the meal was fantastic,food excellent and breakfast was also excellent,great choices,something for everybodys tastes.
We stayed in the Lodge Rooms,which were spotless and very cosy and modern,our friends were in the cottage rooms,they were also very nice.
We cannot wait to return,wish we were staying for another night.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms..but i do not think you could go wrong with any choice of room.
1  Thank Beverly R
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Recently spent a weekend here and had a brilliant experience. The snow meant we were late arriving and we had booked a meal at the hotel for half 7. The hotel staff were kind enough to keep our food for us until we arrived, even though it was half 9 or 10. They were very helpful and we all appreciated it. The hotel itself was beautiful and had a friendly inviting feel to it. A great trip all around and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2013

As always, I research places to stay until I have exhausted just about every review, and I was so torn between staying at The Old Loans Inn, or The Piersland House Hotel that I booked Old Loans first, then - at my undecided dithering best, unbooked it and took a booking at The Piersland. On arriving at the outskirts of Troon there were several beautiful small hotels/large guest houses to stay and I was worried that I had not made the right choice, however, I need not have been as upon seeing The Piersland I was quite relieved, (I am the one who does the bookings, which is always a risk) my mind was put at ease. The location of the hotel to the Troon Old Course, to the beach the hotel`s outside appearance was great - not quite as close to the course or sea as The Marine, but rightly or wrongly I had not formed a good impression by some of the guests reviews. Once inside The Piersland it certainly had a very` old world` charm about it - and although I asked for a room with a view of the beach the answer that "they don`t have any" soon settled that. Our bedroom was not large, or not as large as I had thought it would be from the photographs,e. (3.2m x 3.8 (ish) with a corner taken off for the ensuite, (brilliantly planned for such a small space, and spotlessly clean) (obviously recently refurbished), and we did indeed have a view of The Portland course and a bit of the sea. my comments would be that the hotel offers everything that one would expect of a 4 star hotel. Not over the top or` not` meeting expectations - but quietly sedate is how I would describe it. There was no buzz about the place, but we booked an early bird meal anyway, and when we arrived back from a tour of the town the dining room was indeed full, people obviously enticed by the great value and which turned out to be a great selection of absolutely beautifully cooked food, plenty of it, served by really pleasant young ladies/gents who went out of their way to be helpful. We only stayed the one night as we were undecided whether to travel to Arran/ Machrihanish for a night, however, once we were advised that the weather was going to be bad (you`re not kidding) we decided to leave the car at Ardrossan and enjoy the crossing to Arran as foot passengers, have lunch and return the same afternoon. The ferry was a really good experience, and as soon as we left the ship we (with hats, scarves, gloves, ski coats, etc.,) decided to grit our teeth and have a walk along the sea shore...(not for long) ! The sight of a small bar/restaurant,bistro called "Arran on a plate". and the word `open` on the door, was enough for me. It wasn`t too busy but wasn`t empty either, and although we weren`t massively hungry, the snack that we had was really good. The comments of the party in the restaurant that had finished their meals were extremely complimentary to the chef, it had a nice atmosphere overlooking the sea, and is perhaps one of the best on the sea front. Besides, It was so nice to be indoors away from the freezing cold and wind. However, this is a restaurant and obviously the staff needed to close for the afternoon. They were very pleasant and not making it too obvious that they needed to close, but fair`s fair - they have to work in the evening too. So, we didn`t embarrass them but left, which left US a bit of time to kill before the return ferry trip. Eventually (and because there was nothing else to do in that temperature) we decided to pop in for `another` swift Sauvignon ! whilst keeping our eyes on the ferry for the boat coming, from the very comfortable, warm and hospitable Douglas Hotel, immediately across the road, - Had we gone in there prior to having a walk, we most probably would have stayed there for a meal instead of going further. It is an up to the minute bistro pub with a great atmosphere and obviously open all day.
Retrospectively, it was not only good advice but a `prophesy` that the extremely helpful lady at the ticket office in Ardrossan gave us, i.e. that the wind was getting up and we might not get back if we stayed any longer on Arran - and I am so glad that we took notice of her. From the return ferry I rang The Old Loans Inn and was fortunate, as time was getting on, to get one of the only two rooms that were left for that evening, and How fortunate it turned out to be. This establishment is absolutely gorgeous and whoever has been responsible for the design/refurbishment, has done it not only with great taste, but in consideration of every thing in mind for the comfort of the guests. The rooms/en suites are superb. Although it is ostensibly a pub/restaurant, with hotel facilities. It is great for a comfortable stay within two miles of Troon. What is lacks in close proximity to the sea is made up for by the facilities and amenities within Old Loans, without having to take a step anywhere else. Sadly, the reason for our trip and our eventual destination that we were heading for,was The Turnberry resort to stay there for two days to play golf, - Well, I can plan all sorts of things by reading reviews, etc., but I cannot plan for the weather...............and have managed to pick the worst four days (weather wise) in 50 years, so we have headed back home with the snow on our heels all the way back home... - -Tomorrow is another day.and hopefully I shall pick three in a row when we return to Scotland when the sun is shining and the wind isn`t blowing a hooley !!...

Room Tip: Room 7 is on the right hand side of the building, and does have a slight view of the sea but does lo...
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Stayed at this Hotel for three nights from Monday 11th March and I am happy to say the stay was excellent. I have reviewed this Hotel before and I cannot praise it enough. The location is perfect for local touring and if you play golf....The Royal Troon Course is opposite. I took my dog and was accomodated in one of the bungalows which surround the Hotel. The staff are very attentive and the food menu is of high quality and reasonably priced. If you are in this area of Scotland...you cannot do better than to stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank angusbtp
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

Recommend a nice weekend stay or pop in for food Sunday buffet the best complements to the cook and staff. Excellent cottages for the family or couples near golf course and beaches overall excellent would go again

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just returned from a delightful 2 day break at this lovely hotel. We had a lovely little cottage in the grounds with perfect facilities, the only problem was the weather was so wet we had to take the car over to the main building for supper but that could not be helped. The hotel was very busy with a wedding and another function but we had a lovely meal in the Walker bar, with plenty of very helpful staff to look after us and it made us have our second night meal there too as the menu was so extensive. The gardens are just gorgeous but unfortunately the weather did not allow us to use them, but we would like to return on another occasion. Thanks to all the staff for making our trip very pleasant.

Room Tip: Travelling with my elderly Mum we had a cottage with disabled facilities to make things easier and i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
#2 of 17 in Ayr
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon

Been to Piersland House Hotel? Share your experiences!