“Great weekend”

and 1 more site!
Piersland House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned from celebrating my mother's 80Th birthday party at the Piersland Hotel. From when I booked it six months ago, sorting out our accommodation and the lunch party for 22 people, the service was superb. By the time we checked in on Saturday it felt like I was meeting old friends. We had dinner on the Saturday night and it was superb. The accommodation was extremely comfortable. We had a private room for the lunch party and all I can say is the diet will start tomorrow. My mother was so happy and said that this was the perfect place and could not have asked for better

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Piersland House Hotel

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our first visit to the Piersland House and we hope that it will not be our last. We stayed in a room away from the main building which was very comfortable and from the terrace you can watch golfers at the first tee on Old Troon. The hotel building itself is very beautiful and the wood carving inside quite remarkable. The staff were all professional, friendly and very helpful. The breakfasts were excellent - very fresh and always hot. We also ate the special meal in the bar one night and were very pleasantly surprised by the quantity and quality. We had a meal in the dining room on our final night with relatives of my husband and we all enjoyed our food - favourite was the pork and black pudding. It is best to book as both the dining room and bar get very busy, We loved the open fires and general ambience.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Visited for lunch with my partner and my 8yr old daughter. The service was impeccable...nothing was too much trouble. The ambience was perfect...quiet and relaxed with yhe fire crackling in the background. We opted for the buffet with soup. The soup was lovely and the buffet selection good and plentiful. We then had desert.....wow! My baked alaska was the best ive had since being a small child. My partner had the toffee banana waffles which he said was yummy. My daughter enjoyed all the food! (Very picky eater) she even had two bowels of soup. Lovely lazy sunday lunch. I can see us becoming regulars.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have not been to the Hotel for a number of years but always had fab food. This visit was disappointing from our welcome (?) by the head waiter having booked a table 3/4 hour earlier then gone for a walk. On our return we were greeted with "Oh. You're back". We were shown...no..pointed to our table as the head waiter walked in another direction. Having watched a young waitress show another customer right to the table, give her a menu and take her drinks order, I ushered the waitress over and asked for menus. She seemed surprised when I said that we hadn't had our drinks order taken.
When ordering the meal, I specifically asked for no sauce on my fish and no butter or marg on my potatoes. My husband asked for chips with his fish. Our starters came after a 25 minute wait although my husband's bread did appear when the head waiter stretched in front of him to put the plate down on the table.
Our main courses were...not quite sure what to say! Firstly, my fish came smothered in sauce and was sent back. My husband's chips didn't arrive and so the boiled potatoes were sent back for chips. My potatoes were sent back since I didn't want them getting cold waiting for my fish. My main course returned with 2 lots of ..wait for it..boiled potatoes. One lot was sent back to be replaced by chips, eventually. My husband's main course was not hot, although mine was. Having eaten 1/2 a potato, I saw a small layer of fat on the bottom of the dish so didn't eat any more potatoes. my request for no fat was obviously forgotten.
I understand that it can be very difficult to fully de-bone fish however, there were far too many bones for me to fully enjoy my fish.
Eventually, although not one to complain, I did speak to the young waitress when she came to clear our table. The upshot was that the head waiter came over to apologise and we did not pay anything. Although the waiter hoped we would return, I'm certain we won't.
We were disappointed in our whole experience and the customers at the next table to us did try to reassure us that the service and experience was usually better. The couple did say that their meal was not up to normal standard.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley S
kuhler, Operations Director at Piersland House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Lesley S,

Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. It is not often that we post replies and every guest has the right to their own personal opinion. However, I feel this review is excessive. It was myself who greeted you when you returned after your walk and this is not the way I would greet anyone. I dealt with your complaint personally and to your satisfaction.

We would ask anyone reading it to please check out the other reviews without prejudice and make up their own mind.

Kind regards

Karel Kuhler
Operations Director

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Had an overnight stay with family to celebrate my birthday.We stayed in the lodges which were ideal for us. Had a lovely meal in the restaurant, food was very good and service excellent. Beds were very comfy and room was quiet. Breakfast was brilliant, didn't need any lunch. No complaints which is unusual for us!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona G
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was looking forward to this hotel as I had stayed inTroon on several occasions before and thought it looked superb. I was disappointed when I booked to be told that we would be given a lodge room as I wanted the "hotel" experience. I was assured the room was lovely and sought after so I took the booking. There was nothing wrong with the room but it could have been a Travel Lodge or one of the other chains, not what wanted. The weather was foul and we had to walk a fair distance (we were in the last Lodge) in gales and lashing rain turning up in the hotel with wet coats and a bedraggled appearance. I had got dressed up for dinner as it was our anniversary, my shoes were all wet and I had to negotiate slippy tiles and speed bumps in the road to the hotel. The same procedure happened on the next two days for breakfast. This room would be all right in better weather and I know the hotel do not control the weather but I would not go back to this hotel if I did not get a room in the main building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the hotel
2  Thank dr0dden
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel during the recent stormy weather and whilst the wind howled outside the overriding sense of calm within the hotel prevailed. The short walk from the lodge accommodation was a little wild but the thoughtfully provided umbrella was not suited to protect us from these extreme elements. The restaurant was a haven of calm with attentive staff and the food was goodish - there were a few unannounced departures from the menu - grilled fish with butter turned out to be smothered in cheese sauce - but otherwise it was very good. The lodge accommodation was excellent with wonderful views across the golf course.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
Western House Hotel

Been to Piersland House Hotel? Share your experiences!