“Warning-Warning- Do not ever stay here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Troon
The Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Booked here for 2 night b and b, dinner on first night,- £69.00 - Seemed a good deal, but as they say , if it's too good to be true, it surely will be..... Given the keys for room 20. It was like a JAIL, measuring 5ft x 5ft, as you came in the door, and extending to 8ft, towards the window. Immediately asked for another room, but told by middle aged lady on reception, no chance of a move, as the other rooms at the back, were even smaller. We'd booked a sea view, so the only consolation, being the view , which was lovely. That was the only room available. No bath, 2 lights missing in bathroom, (male member of staff, did have this sorted quickly and apologised) shower cubicle,so small, I was disorientated in there.No shelf to put anything on, not even a soap dish. Terrible. No bedside tables, no lamps, only ceiling spotlights.The bed was jammed against the wall and my husband had to get out of the bed,by scrambling over it during the night. A shambles. Old, pine furniture, broken drawers with no back and filthy at the back of them. No dressing table, nothing, nowhere to put anything. Wardrobe, shook from side to side and could have collapsed at any minute. Food average, steak pie gravy, too sweet for me,but meat tender,although my husband liked it. Seafood cocktail on 2nd night very nice, but no lemon on the side.Chicken fahjitas,ok, hot and loads for 1 dish to share,but they seemed to have been dipped in a barbeque sauce, not nice for me. Suppose everyone has their own taste, but food not cracked up to what it says.Would not return. On check out, same receptionist, didn't even ask, if we'd enjoyed our stay, I think she knew,the answer anyway, when she gave us the key to room 20. As suspected , we have since found out, room 20, was never a bedroom, but AN OLD OFFICE, made into a very, small bedroom. Incidentally, it says on the board outside the Hotel, 19 rooms, all en suite, no mention of room 20, this was an add on, a disgrace, apart from the sea view. Do not ever stay here, room 20 should be condemned ...

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Only enter room 20 for a laugh, to see what I am talking about
3  Thank m_croal

Reviewed 17 April 2012

hate to be a pooper, but booked this hotel for myself, husband and 7 yr old son. I read reviews about how wonderful the food was, and having visited the establishment previously for a drink in the bar once, thought we would book for 2 nights on a reasonably priced deal. We were given the keys to our room - double bed and a single. The beds were both pushed up against a wall and the bedspread, merely "spread". I was convinced one of the bathroom towels had been already used , since it was crushed looking.
The beds were so old and worn (only a clean sheet between outselves and the mattress- you could feel the springs and the buttons on the mattress pushing through, and it looked dirty). The pillows were flimsy and the room very, very dusty. We went for our meal (part of the deal) which was nice, but not as fantastic as the reviews we had read about. I had steak pie - very nice, but the one boiled potato was cold and the lumpy mash was unpleasant. The veg was ok, but I found it odd to have a cold cherry tomato alongside the warm veg!!!!. Hubby had chicken with haggis and pepper sauce. Chicken very overcooked and chewy with the same veg as me. Son had kids pasta, which was very spicy of chilli peppers and salad (on a warm plate)! The waitress was not at all pleasant and never cracked a smile. The barman brought us drinks and he seemed much more amicable.
Reluctantly we stayed the night, albeit, we had booked 2 nights but couldn't drive home because we had had a couple of drinks. I chose to sleep, 'head to toe,' in the single bed with my son, since it was slightly more comfortable than the 'unpleasant' double. (incidently, my husband put the bedspread on top of the double bed mattress, as an additional barrier, between the sheet).
Breakfast was awful!! We arrived to a busy breakfast room with one waitress. Asked for a table for 3. She escorted us to a table that was covered in dirtry crockery and cutlery from the previous diners. We asked before we sat, if she could clear it. She did, however, left the left over 'clean' cutlery and napkin that was not used, and replaced the used with new. I again asked if she could 'wipe' the table since it was covered in crumbs and salt. She returned with a cloth and wiped around. Another waitress arrived (recognised from the previous evening meal). Again, she was very unhelpful. I asked for 2 cooked breakfasts and sausages only for our son. I asked if she could provide a roll for the sausages, and she looked very 'put out' by this and replied, "I'll see what chef can do". Detecting her reluctance, I said, that if it was too much of a bother, I would give my son bread from the self serve........the bread was still in a bread bag, with a "reduced price" sticker on it (45p) and it was frozen. The idea was to toast it. My son had sausages by themselves. The breakfast food was ok, (despite cold beans and cold staff).
We could not bring ourselves to stay the second night and departed soon after breakfast. The receptionist did ask why we chose to leave, but we chose not to go into detail and just count our losses. We were glad to get home.

Room Tip: don't use room 18 - can't comment on the others
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mumforfun
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Recently stayed here on a 2 night great deal voucher at the beginning of the month, the property is in great need of repair, the upstairs roof is full of gaping holes and the room we had was very poor indeed although a good size the bed was broken and the chairs were absolutely filthy. Be aware that the meal on the first night is from the a la carte menu which doesnt have a great deal of choice in fact the hotel has a poster in the front window advertising 2 people to eat 2 courses for £9.95 this is the same menu that you will get to choose from. The hotel is open to non residents and its not ideal if you are looking to enjoy a quiet meal as there are customers sitting drinking at the bar and the noise from television screens is deafening with constant football on. The breakfast is from 7.00am to 9.00 am and is a decent full scottish breakfast albeit the staff could be a bit more cheery, also you dont get time to sit down before the waitress is over asking you what you want to eat, its as if she just wants to get the breakfast time over with. I certainly would not pay the full price for this hotel and wish i had read the reviews beforehand as there are much more nicer places that are offering the same great deal voucher price.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the top floor rooms
4  Thank GlasgowDave10
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Last room they had when we tried to use our Great Deal voucher was a twin and, having read some reviews before we arrived, I was apprehensive to say the least. Booking in was fine. The room was small and dark and there was evidence that previous occupants had been less than respectful of their surroundings: cracked wardobe mirror, dented and damaged wall heater and various scuff marks etc on the walls. However it was clean and, for the price we paid, acceptable. It was just a base after all to explore the delights of Troon! We walked the beach, explored the many curiosity shops in town and sampled a few bars on the way.
We'd a small problem with the heating in the room and this was dealt with immediately and followed up the following morning that we were happy. The bar was chock a block when we went for dinner, but the table that had been reserved for us was kept and we were served straight away. The food, as almost everyone seems to agree, was OUTSTANDING, soup was smashing and I had possibly the best Steak Pie I've ever had?!? The missus enjoyed hers too and, despite the outrageous bar prices for the first time that I can recall, we went back for more the following night instead of taking our custom to another establishment as we usually do. Breakfast was pandemonium but we just went away and came back when it was quieter! This morning we were earlier and there was no-one there!! On both occasions the breakfast itself was superb and the lassies serving quietly efficient in their job.
The building is apparently over 200 years old (which also affected the free Wi Fi), and whilst I agree some improvements to decor and furnishings etc could well be made, my wife and I appreciated the effort of the staff to make our visit as comfortable as possible in the circumstances. Parked right outside the front door, I'd certainly consider returning for an overnight stay - any longer would be a challenge unless you were a golfer I suspect?!?

1  Thank Grampasauras
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Let me stress before you read this, This is my 1 and only ever review on this site about anywhere. I am in no way a serial moaner.

My Fiancee and I stayed here as part of the "Great Deal" voucher. Our problems started the night we booked. Prior to purchasing the voucher, i rang up to check availability, agreeing that i would phone back with voucher code. Upon calling back, i was told that a mistake had been made and that no double rooms were available and instead we would be getting a Twin Room.
Not the worst problem in the world so i asked that the beds at least be put together creating the "Double Room Feel". I was assured this would be done.

The day before arriving i rang to confirm the booking and also that the room would be rearranged as requested. All confirmed.

Upon arrival, guess what? I may as well have been talking to myself. Not only were the beds not moved, 1 of them was behind the door, preventing it from opening properly (which i'm sure must have some form of Fire Safety issue). Challenging when trying to get in with bags or indeed anyone of the larger body shape, i imagine, may have a problem.

The mirrored doors of the wardrobe were broken, 1 of the bedside lights didnt work, 2 bulbs missing from bathroom and bathroom floor was terribly sloped. So much so i gave up standing up when making use of the facility......

That night when going for dinner i spent 20 mins before being acknowleged as even being present. Some 45 mins later and with no food, we asked where our starters were, to be told that our order hadn't made it to the kitchen. To cut a long story short, when food did arrive there was also an issue with it being wrong!

At breakfast the following morning there was a lack of tables and when we asked the staff member if we could sit in the bar area, we received a response which suggested we had asked if we could go round her house and eat our breakfast on her bed!!!!

There were some positives, for example the food is outstanding. Even if you do not stay, i would recommend heavily that you eat here.

I would also say that 1 or 2 members of staff, in particular the girl from North East England (who's name i didnt catch), are extremely pleasant and helpful and did everything to help us out as best as they could.

I appreciate this is long winded, however so were the 2 nights i didnt sleep!!!

4  Thank Klanderson10
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Popped in for a meal after hearing reasonably good things. First impressions were not great, place smelled of stale fried food.

Staff were, in general, unfriendly and short. A Geordie lassie was the only one who smiled the whole time we were in. Food was OK, my steak pie was average my partners wings and ribs were tasty.

Drink was just extraordinarily expensive, over £4 for a pint of Heineken and well over £3 for a vodka and diet coke was just ridiculous given the prices elsewhere in Troon.

1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband, my young son and I stayed at The Anchorage on a Glasgow's Great Deal offer, which seemed to be a bargain. Had I read the reviews on here before buying, I wouldn't have touched it. The BRILLIANT food is COMPLETELY spoiled by the room we stayed in.........and I know others in different rooms felt the same.
We were directed to our room by the pleasant man on reception. Not surprised he didn't take us, as I'd have been MORTIFIED showing anyone into THAT!!!!
The room was DULL, OUT-DATED and TINY. Very dull covers on the beds, which were, as someone else described, nearly flat on the floor. Decor is a personal thing and while it wasn't to my taste, there was NO excuse for the state of the beds underneath. Completely FLAT mattress which you could feel EVERY spring on, if your DARED move..........needless to say, neither my husband or I had a restful nights sleep. My young sons bed was no better. The bases were ripped, torn and shabby........I have to admit to being too scared to look at the actual mattress under the clean white sheets, for fear of what I might find.
The shower room had what was clearly a new sink and toilet, but the grout between the tiles in the shower could do with more than just a quick scrub. The heated towel rail was DANGEROUS and hanging from the wall with exposed bits of sharp metal..........possibly having read a review on here, it was swiftly removed the next morning, but there were tiny shards of sharp metal left on the floor which I had to clear up.
My husband recovered a DIRTY sock from under the bed, possibly NOT even from the previous guests OR the ones before them. More annoying was the tiny halogen bulb with sharp points on it which my son retrieved from under the bed.........I'm just glad he didn't stand on it.
Having taken all this in, in the dimly lit room.....there was only a VERY SMALL window to light the room naturally.......we tried to unpack our bags. When I say 'tried' I mean we had NO drawer space to put our clothes in. The one set of drawers was IN the wardrobe and THE DRAWERS DIDN'T OPEN!!!!!
On a plus note, we booked for dinner that night and the food was LOVELY and very reasonable. The bar was busy with locals in for a drink and more people arriving for food, so it was VERY busy for a Tuesday evening. I can't fault anything about the food we had, it was brilliant.
After a long day, we tried to get some sleep, a feat in itself with the bed situation. BUT not only did that keep us awake, the noise from the back of the hotel was HORRENDOUS. I dont whether it was the air conditioning or heating, but it went on and off ALL night and sounded like a car revving it's engine.......I genuinely thought the local boy racers were using the back of the hotel as a racetrack. Then about 6am, someone decided to start emptying all the empty bottles ready for collection that morning, RIGHT UNDER OUR WINDOW. You can imagine that the bin lorry which arrived a short time later wasn't quiet either.
Breakfast was disorganised chaos. No-one to greet you and quite clearly not enough space in the room for all the guests. We invited a couple we had the previous evening to share as they had basically been told to go and wait outside........SHOCKING. The breakfast was lovely, but I'm sorry, having to queue up to make your own toast was laughable.
So, all-in-all, can't praise the food highly enough and unless something drastic was done to improve the rooms, I and MANY OTHERS won't be staying again. Perhaps some of the profits made from this deal could be spent on upgrading the less than basic rooms. And, just incase anyone reading this thinks it was only this room, I did manage to sneak a peak in some of the other rooms. None of them were like the ones pictured in the offer and they were as bad as the one we stayed in.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank juneybug12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Piersland House Hotel
Parkstone
Parkstone
#1 of 5 in Prestwick

Been to The Anchorage Hotel? Share your experiences!