“Brilliant stay”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Brilliant stay”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Came to South Beach Hotel with OH & 90 year old auntie as H had stayed there on business previously and felt that auntie would enjoy it. Her room was on the ground floor, with disabled bathroom facilities. She was extremely impressed. Our room was next door and was beautifully decorated in teal & brown. We ate in the conservatory that night & the food was delicious.
Unfortunately auntie took a fall & ended up in hospital, so while OH had to return home for work, I remained at the hotel to visit auntie etc.
The hotel has a lovely comfortable feeling about it - all staff, without exception, seemed to be happy in their work, and took pride in what they did. The lady on the bar was very knowledgeable about whisky, and I was given lots of information with regards trains/buses to Ayr(a day trip before hospital duties). Nothing is too much trouble here and everyone does their best to make your stay enjoyable.
I had a room on the top floor for part of my stay and the view out across the sea was fantastic - I sat in the window seat with a cup of tea, just staring at the view. Decoration was tip top. I also stayed in a room on the 1st floor, which was also beautifully decorated.
If you are going to Troon I would heartily recommend this hotel (the venison is so tender!)

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor of the hotel have fantastic views to the sea - there are stairs, but they...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JTD6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
East Lothian
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel was a beacon of warmth on a miserable cold, wet and windy March day in Troon. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The room was large and comfortable. The bars were great and the prices were a pleasant surprise. The dinner menu offered a first class range of dishes which were cooked well and delicious to eat. Our only criticism was that the portions were a tad on the over-generous side. Although if we'd just come in from battling round Royal Troon in a gale and driving rain, our appetites would probably have coped better. The dinner b and b rate was outstanding value. All in all a first class overnight which we wouldn't hesitate to repeat. We'd be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone. An excellent example of Scottish hospitality at its best.

Room Tip: Our room was large with a wide bay window and well appointed if slightly old fashioned, but very com...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Voxpopbob
Aberdeen
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I recently stayed the night in the South Beach Hotel to attend a business meeting the next day. I had never been to Troon before and made the booking online. I called to check that WiFi was available and the receptionist made sure I had a room with a good signal - and thanks for that! - it worked very well indeed! When I arrived, I asked about local shops which were a five minute walk away so I made my way into the town centre and got what I needed.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and my room was clean and very comfortable. I had an evening meal which was absolutely delicious and the bar and waiting staff were lovely. After a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed, breakfast was equally good and all staff I came across in the morning were as pleasant and helpful as the others.

I love dogs and this Hotel is dog-friendly too which was good to see.

If I ever find myself in Troon again, I would stay here again in a heartbeat, no hesitation!

Well done South Beach Hotel!

Room Tip: Maybe ask about WiFi connection if you need to use that. The receptionist explained before I arrived...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Halfanhourlater
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Recently spent a dinner dance b n b at this hotel. Staff all super, attentive and helpful during the evening and at breakfast; but I honestly thought I had misheard the receptionist on checking out n paying the bill when she asked the OH if he required his change!!!!!!!!!!! Of course he was so embarassed he said no!What a cheek! I've never heard the like! The hotel itself is rather dated and requires a bit of attention. Our room had water marks in the wardrobe/ cupboard, paper peeling from the sloping ceiling, handle missing from bathroom cabinet and the top of the bedside table was blistered. Our table at dinner was wobbly[spare tables were being stored in the Ladies toilet!]and the decor was very dated-think frilly pelmets. The food was extremely good and piping hot.The dance floor was quite a good size- but the music?!!!!!Danceable if you could adapt to the change of tempo halfway through!Sorry, wont be recommending this venue to our 'dancer' friends.But the waiting staff were excellent and the food WAS good!

Room Tip: Room 310 is up 2 floors [no lift] and faces out over the car park
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Great hotel. I was in Troon for just one night on business. Hotel is walking distance from town centre and railway station, also has car park (which I didn't use). Everything clean and well maintained, Excellent full Scottish Breakfast in morning. Short walk to beach. My visit was out of the golf season so hotel was very quiet.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Archie118
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Fantastic hotel!! All the staff were very friendly and made a real effort to make my parents 40th wedding annivesary very special! Our party of 17 were all delighted with their rooms. The food was exceptional and a special mention to the chef who catered for a restricted diet without compromising on any of the dishes! Overall one of the best small hotels we have visited and thank you again for making the weekend very memorable

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank karyn S
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is the third time we have used the South Beach Hotel for our club Christmas Party. Hotel is a lovely traditional hotel with oak panelling and a lovely atmosphere. Mr Watt and his staff could not have been more helpful and the service and food was excellent. From the club members who stayed overnight, they told me their breakfasts were super. Long may it reign.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lucky43_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Parkstone
Parkstone
#1 of 6 in Prestwick
Hallmark Hotel Irvine

Been to South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!