“exceptional staff and superb food”

Lochgreen House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed 30 July 2012

After having been to Lochgreen at least 10 times for dinner and a couple of overnight stays we can only recommend this hotel warmly.
Not only is the staff overall extremely friendly and helpful - they also know what they are talking about: from the moment we walk in the door and are warmly welcomed by the lovely receptionist until we sit down for dinner, we are very well taken care of.
The wine recommendations are always excellent, the choice of food is different to your usual menues and the atmosphere is simply fab.
A nice place to treat yourself to a fantastic evening.
And if you get to stay the night, the rooms are spacious, beds are comfortable and the breakfast is great.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank else s
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of Lochgreen House Hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your recent visit and on behalf of the team here at Lochgreen we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

stayed overnight after being at a function in th afternoon meal at function was good,no choice for main course.WE had our evening meal in resturant and we were extremly disappointed,I was going to have Lamb but they had run out of it,my husband and I ordered Salmon and we were lucky we got the last two portions and that was nothing great.I could
have served it up myself.I had been told by friends that the meals were out standing and we were both looking forward to our stay.We were told that they were so busy over the weekend that they had run out of the above!!!We will not be back.

Room Tip: not beside lift,makes a noise
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Rhona B, Sales & Marketing Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to Lochgreen House. We were disappointed to hear that your dinner in our Tapestry Restaurant was not to your satisfaction however we understand our Operations Manager has already contacted you directly to discuss this. We are sure you will appreciate that in order to ensure our food is always of the highest standard, we only hold a limited supply of each item and on some occasions, we will unfortunately run out.

We hope you will reconsider your decision and choose to return to one of our establishments at some future date.

Kind regards, the team at Lochgreen House Hotel.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Have stayed here twice in the past 5 years. The first was for our wedding in 2007 and again in June of this year. The hotel was able to cater to our best needs for the wedding, particularly the meal. I have also eaten in the main dining room and had have had two exceptional meals there. The breakfasts are fantastic, nothing more needs to be said there. The bedrooms are clean with nicely furnished bathrooms and amenities. The grounds of the hotel are also beautiful, however, it rained both times we were there (insert Scotland joke here)! The staff was friendly, though I do remember our wedding photographer getting in a scuffle.

So the negatives? Rooms are nice, but a bit dated or maybe sparsely decorated. If you book for a wedding, there will be other guests in the hotel (which could explain scuffle mentioned above). This is a bit odd for such a small hotel where we could have easily filled every room with guests. Staff outside our room were quite noisy, particularly early in the AM and I had a hangover.

Overall: We have had great experience both times we were at Lochgreen. However, we have a personal connection with the hotel which could bias this review. I'm a bit of a foodie and for that reason alone would go back for the dinner/bed/breakfast combo. The have a nice lounge/bar area and a whiskey room.

Room Tip: Ask for honeymoon suite or one of the rooms with the private balcony, there are probably only 3-4 in...
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. We're glad your wedding was a success back in 2007 and you came to visit again last month. The quality of our food and dining experience are both extremely important to us and your compliments will be passed to the Culinary Team. We're only sorry we couldn't so something about the weather - it's gorgeous today, please come again!!

Many thanks, on behalf of the team at Lochgreen House Hotel.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am not surprised to come onto Tripadvisor and read comments regarding the “Horrible Lady” at reception, I would suggest the management team for this hotel send this lady on a course for customer service skills she came across very snobby and direct to an extent of sheer rudeness,
I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for 2 nights on 13th June he was an usher for a wedding reception being held here on the 14th I was an evening guest at the wedding, we were initially greeted by a lovely young blonde receptionist who was very pleasant but before she could assist fully she was rudely over spoken by the older snobby women which after speaking with her didn’t surprise me at all, I feel the front of house staff are extremely important and this lady needs to seek a job in politics or somewhere she may fit in with her very rude snobby ways, before heading to this hotel , I had researched the hotel but didn’t seem to come across any facilities such as a spa so on arrival I was very surprised to see signs for the spa,
I asked the rude receptionist if I could possibly book a massage and she made a telephone call and left a message and explained to me she would call me at the room as soon as she had a reply no call ever came, I eventually went to reception area the next day mid afternoon and found a spa menu with the telephone number and called round to be told they had no appointments left, I spent all my time in the room until mid afternoon so I couldn’t have missed a call from reception regarding the spa. The wireless wasn’t working on arrival I had went to reception and was told they had a problem with it and they were unsure when this would be fixed but there was a router in each part of the hotel so hopefully I could maybe manage to get a signal at some point, was very clear they didn’t have a clue but would make up something just to have an answer for me again not surprised!
After arriving and getting nowhere with my spa treatment no wireless although I managed to pull my laptop over to the window which then did eventually picks up a signal.... I decided to go round to the bar wanting to pay for some drinks for myself and boyfriend without charging it to the room as my boyfriend was paying for everything I thought it nice if I at least treated him to a drink or 2, using my debit card was a major issue the boy at the bar clearly didn’t want me using my card for payment he wasn’t rude about it just seemed uneasy as to what he should do about me using my card, he then asked me for my room number which I told him and he told me a surname which clearly wasn’t our reservation and I was told I would have to go to the reception to pay, I was rather confused as I couldn’t get a clear answer as to why? I then went to reception and my words being “So I have to pay here for my bar drinks” This clearly wasn’t heard as the rude receptionist said “oh the other person hasn’t checked out yet” (meaning nothing to me but again confused as we had infact already checked in) I will charge this to your room she said, By this point I had enough and said fine and off I go with my very expensive apple juice and baileys,
From the bar staff, receptionist and waiting staff, the staff seemed very stressed and uneasy I suggest a bit of team spirit and happiness needs injected into this hotel as It definitely makes or breaks a hotel regardless of your star rating or your furnishings or which celebrity is in a frame on the wall this all means nothing if your team are as stressed out as this lot! The gentlemen hosting the wedding was lovely and very pleasant the only one who seemed to have a bit of spirit he was very attentive always holding doors and trying his best to build rapport. The wedding was great the only thing I would say negative about the wedding was the menu there was no options for starter, main or dessert so if you’re a fussy eater like my boyfriend your going hungry as there is no shops within walking distance or anything for that matter, lovely decor & scenery but if you like to be a valued guest don’t go here, As I work in hospitality most likely management issues.

Room was lovely,

Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to record all your comments, both positive and negative, about your recent visit to Lochgreen House Hotel.
We are delighted you enjoyed the wedding and found the room to your taste and thank you for your kind comments about our Functions Manager.
However we are naturally disappointed to learn of the issues which detracted from the full enjoyment of your stay with us.
Your comments regarding our Reception Team have been discussed – our aim is to provide the highest standard of service to our customers and where it is felt we fall short of this, we need to know about it to enable us to address any issues.
There has obviously been some confusion over the booking of your massage – please accept our apologies for this. Our wifi system and card payment system are both being reviewed and should be improved very soon – we are sorry you had issues with these systems.
We hope that any future visit you make to Lochgreen, or any other establishment in the Costley & Costley Group, proves satisfactory. If not, please discuss any issues with Management at the time.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have eaten here before, stayed here on a couple of nights and even chose to get married here! The place is first class, food first class and service first class. On the weekend of our wedding we had 14 rooms the night before and 30 rooms the night of the wedding and everyone loved the place.

If you're visiting Troon or the surrounding area for any reason and you're looking for a hotel, then you would be mad not to give Lochgreen a try.

Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to record your very positive feedback following your recent wedding at the Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks, on behalf of the team at Lochgreen House Hotel.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

When we cheaked in the thin lady at the desk was horrible, very stuck up and had no time for us or any of our questions. How she can work with quests is beyond me. Food was cold and staff slow in bringing drinks, we got our drinks 10mins after our main course was brought to our table. We orderd drinks when we orderd our food.We will never go back and we were able to stop our friend from having there weeding there. Give it a miss and hopefully that lady at the desk go fired.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank Texas99990
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments about your recent experience at Lochgreen. Please contact me directly to enable me to address any potential issues with our service.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Lovely place for wedding, loved the place and views. Food was really tasty and big portions. Would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvester83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
Old Loans Inn
#3 of 6 in Troon
Western House Hotel
Enterkine House Hotel

Been to Lochgreen House Hotel? Share your experiences!