A lovely country house hotel, with all that you would expect from a non-corporate hotel, good staff, fabulous communal areas with antique furniture, comfy sofas, log fire. However, the rooms are looking in need of a bit of a spruce up, particularly the bathroom in the room I had - the stains on the blind were not attractive, and I don't think the bed was even a full double size. Didn't spend much time in the room, however, so it didn't matter too much. The views over the sea, with Ailsa Craig the main feature were fantastic, and we enjoyed walking around the grounds, with deer, red squirrel and pheasants around. We had dinner, which seemed to be an early thing for most people - we went in at 8pm, and were far behind most people, then went back into the sitting room for drinks. At 11pm the staff left, and the night watch woman introduced herself, asked us to keep the noise down (we were not being particularly loud, and it was only 11pm on a Saturay night) and said if we wanted anything else to order from her. Not a brilliant way to end the evening, it was clear she did not want us in the sitting room for whatever reason.
Breakfast the next morning was very nice, and again the staff were very helpful. The room had been tidied, with fresh towels etc when we went back, even though we were checking out that morning, which I found a particularly nice touch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful Scots Baronial castle set in 36 acres of stunning gardens and woodland overlooking the Ayrshire coastline and out to Ailsa Craig, the Isle of Arran and Mull of Kintyre. The castle is Scotland's highest rated Country House Hotel with 5 AA Red Stars and 4 AA Rosettes, 5 VisitScotland Gold Stars, EatScotland Gold Award and a Michelin Star. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Glenapp Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glenapp Castle Ballantrae, Scotland
- Glenapp Castle Hotel Ballantrae