Glenapp Castle
US$127
US$102
Fernhill Hotel(Portpatrick)
US$217
The Portpatrick Hotel(Portpatrick)(Great Value!)
US$114
Knockinaam Lodge(Portpatrick)
US$467
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmichelin starwalled gardenailsa craigafternoon teagourmet dinnertea roomdrawing roomgrounds are stunningsconespre dinner drinkscourse dinnerirish seacountry housemoment you arrivepure luxuryfirst classfrom start to finish
Reviewed 5 December 2008

The latest of several stays we have had at Glenapp that started with my 40th birthday party 3 years ago.

This hotel is now the standard by which we judge top class accomodation, food and service. What we particularly enjoy is the way Glenapp feels like an escape from our busy everday lives. Their magic trick (which we have yet to work out how they do it) is the incredibly efficeint yet invisible housekeeping service. Bedrooms are miraculously remade, gardens are kept immaculate and yet you never see anyone doing it!

We have now stayed in several (and on my birthday weekend had the opportunity to see the majority) of the 17 rooms. They are all beautifully decorated. Each one has its own individual character and atmosphere. The beds are enormous and very comfortable and we love the big baths.

Dinner is always a highlight of any visit. This time we really enjoyed the canapes, beef and seafood dishes all of which were beautifully presented.

All of the staff are very helpful and friendly and for us this just adds to the impression that we are staying with friends at a Scottish Country House rather than a hotel.

Cant wait to go back again and we wouldnt hesitate recommending Glenapp, from a romantic weekend to a birthday celebration or wedding.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2008

We had our wedding at Glenapp Castle in November 2008. From the first moment we arrived at the castle on the day before we were made to feel like royalty, from being met at the car to having two other members of staff help us with our car full of bags and boxes up to our room.

We had booked the hotel exclusively for our big day so on the night before had a few other guests there which made no difference whatsoever. We elected to take lunch there on the day before our wedding and had a fantastic few sandwiches in front of a crackling log fire. Whilst we relaxed there the rest of the staff took their time to introduce themselves to us and each of them were exceptionally polite yet friendly and full of character.

Of all of the staff, Jody instantly endeared himself to us and in his own way made us feel even more welcome. During the rest of that afternoon other members of our family arrived and we knew they'd be just as well cared for as we were. Once we were all settled we went downstairs for dinner and were absolutely blown away. The Chef Adam Stokes is nothing short of a magician and served what can only be described as one of the best meals we've ever eaten with some unusual ingredients. Nevertheless, we all cleared our plates at every course and sat in eager anticipation of what was to come next, we were never once disappointed. Again the staff were simply exceptional throughout and as each course was presented, Jody took the time to introduce what was sat on each plate before we utterly demolished it.

It was some three hours after the start of our trip along the light fantastic of truly awesome cuisine that we collapsed in front of the same crackling log fire feeling truly satisified with ourselves whilst nursing a cup of coffee and a few chocolates.

It was difficult to rationalise that this had infact, been only the day before our wedding and as such our expectations we set so very high for the following day.

It was at this point that I, the groom, took my leave and stayed elsewhere for the evening (just to keep tradition alive).

On my arrival back at Glenapp on the morning of our wedding, I was met once again at my car by a gentleman called 'John', at this point John made it clear that he was happy to assist me in any way possible during that morning, a massive stress reliever. In the manner of the previous day, nothing was too much trouble. As the rest of our guests arrived, each received the same treatment as we had done so the day before, each commenting later on how truly fantastic their rooms were. Again, during the course of getting everyone settled and fed before the ceremony there was not so much as a hitch and before we knew it we were married in the beautiful drawing room. The photographer was spoilt for choice when assembling his pictures and the end results are incredible with the wonderful architecture and faultless decor.

Our room was, as you might expect, incredible and if you're going to Glenapp then the Earl of Inchcape is perhaps one of the best hotel rooms in the world and a good night's sleep is almost guaranteed.

Our meals were simply exceptional, the accomodation first class and the welcome out of this world.

You know, it isn't cheap on the face of it, but for what you get it's an utter bargain, we'll most certainly be back. If you're looking for the perfect wedding, or perhaps a seriously romantic weekend away then you'll not go wrong with Glenapp. The welcome provided by Fay and Graham and their exceptional staff is simply out of this world.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2008

The Queen has Balmoral, but if she didn't I have no doubt she would find her way to this jawdropping castle hotel. My blood pressure went down immediately as I made my way up the mile-long, winding, tree-lined driveway to the castle, which boasts a secluded location and fabulous sea views. At the entrance I was personally greeted by the owners.
It's a perfect place to chill out, and explore the rocky, underappreciated southwest coast of Scotland. The welcome was warm, the service exceptional and the food in the stunning red dining room is absolutely luscious. Every chair and sofa in the place is plush and comfortable; you can choose to wander around the grounds, line up an activity, or curl up on a sofa near the open fire and read, work on your computer or whatever. There isn't a spa on site but they have a relationship with a seafront day spa a few miles down the road; the hotel staff can make arrangements for any treatment on offer.
The bedrooms are all a good size with nice personal touches.
The owners and staff will knock themselves out to make sure you have an enjoyable stay. This was my fifth trip to Glenapp, and I am already looking forward to my 2009 visit.
Are you listening, Your Majesty?

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank skibogirl
Reviewed 15 September 2008

I love TripAdvisor so I wanted to write reviews for each hotel we stayed in on our trip to Great Britain. We stayed at Glenapp Castle for a wedding. Our experience may be a little different from the "normal" because the entire hotel was the wedding party, but it was an unbeliveable experience. The accomodations were what you would expect. The food was absolutely amazing! The service was more than I'm used to. We wanted for nothing during our stay. If you made a casual suggestion that you'd like to have something, it appeared on a table for you. The grounds are spectacular. The view from the dining room is breathtaking & the management is very accomodating. We truly enjoyed our stay & highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ref_316
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We stayed at Glenapp Castle for the first night of our honeymoon.

It was absolutely fantastic. The service was amazing. I was treated like a princess and it was the attention to detail that made it really special. For example, our welcome was really personal - "Hello Mrs X, how does it feel to be called that?". They even took my bouquet and put it in a vase on the table where we were served afternoon tea.

The food was great and my husband, who is really into wine, loved the wine and the wine list.

It manages to be super special without being stuffy, which we completely loved.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple