“a disappointing visit indeed”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Southfield Hotel

Southfield Hotel
Southfield Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Girvan
blantyre
“a disappointing visit indeed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here as a good base for the seniors golf open at Turnberry but thats where it ends.This was the the third time I had contacted this hotel to confirm my booking as there were no confirmation by e.mail.On our arrival we were met by nobody and had to phone the owner to let her know we were here.After standing alone in the "reception area"for around ten minutes,we were met by the owner who asked what I was quoted for my overnight stay??? we immediately agreed a price and was promptly given the key for our room on the third floor which we were left to our own devices to find and that the restaurant was also closed for dinner.After leaving our bags in our "room"we decided to go down to the bar for an afternoon drink as this was our wedding anniversay ,to find the bar was closed and it remained closed for the duration of our stay.I could go on but this is not a good advert for Scottish tourism or hospitality and really wonder what visitors from overseas would think.The overall experience in this hotel was very disapointing and would certainly not visit here again.

Room Tip: ask the owner to see the room before she disappears
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agnesjohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
County Armagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Stayed here for the recent folk festival. Close to the town and good links with a local restaurant offering some lovely food. This is not the place to go if you want 24/7 attention but for somewhere clean and comfortable without frills this is the place to go.

Room Tip: if you want extra bed etc ask early on busy weekends. Sandra will sort you out
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve M
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Over the last year I have stayed on 3 occasions at this hotel and always intend to stay here when I visit relatives in Girvan. I stayed here with my husband and twelve year old son for two nights 11th- 13th April and as always the rooms were spotless and extremely comfortable. There is a very good supply of tea, coffee, and hot chocolate in the rooms and my son loves the biscuits and mint imperials ! The landlady Sandra is not always available when I telephone but if I leave a message she always rings me back promptly. The lady who makes breakfast is a superb cook and there are always generous helpings of cereal, juice, drinks and a gigantic delicious full cooked Scottish breakfast. I don't like porridge but my husband had porridge and said it was delicious. The hotel is in a quiet area and we always sleep soundly - the beds are very comfortable. I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
llangennech
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have stayed at the Southfield Hotel on and off for the past two months, my room was clean warm and the bed was comfortable, the cheerie staff were more than happy to help in any way, and the breakfast was to die for, if you like a hearty meal first thing.I would be very happy to recomend this Hotel to anyone. When I go back to Girvan later this I will staying at the Southfield if they are not fully booked.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank wynford r
brechin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and myself had the unfortunate experience of staying here for two nights on arriving our first thought was to find somewhere else so we left our bags and tried everywhere we could but everywhere was fully booked. We were the only ones staying at this "hotel". The bathroom was filthy it had some very suspect marks on the tiles and the towels were damp and dirty. The room itself was covered in dust and spider webs and the sheets had blood on them. The tv had one working channel and all the milk was out of date for the tea,coffee making facilities. The breakfast although freshly cooked was spoiled by the dirty cutlery and the table that was so sticky when you tried to lift your glass you almost had to lift the table. On checking out when we brouht all this to the attention of Sandra the owner she got very mad and instead of an apology she charged us £20 more than agreed when booking !

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank robbiem1973
ottowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I went with a friend to this establishment last year. She had stayed there for several months when the house she owned had been made uninhabitable as a result of a fire. Sue is a very well travelled lady and I get on well with her.

There was no one else in the restaurant when we visited it. Service was , in a word , haphazard . Wrong cutlery , lack of condiments , blah blah blah .
Having said that the food was wholesome and tasty.

The place lacked atmosphere but we had a good time and a good laugh at the inadequacies of the service provided.

Just before Christmas 2010 I sent the hotel an email enquiring about accomodation . I am STILL waiting for a reply

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Penrith
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Contrary to the website's description, the bar and restaurant have both closed. Decor and rooms are fine, though not roomy. Breakfast food was of a good quality. Extra biscuits and coffee were available on the landing, so room's tea-making facilities are good. Beds were comfortable.
But room and bathroom were not cleaned during our 3 nights' stay, beds were not made, towels not folded. Thick dust lurked behind the bed. Landlady said she did not offer any services apart from cleaning cups (not always done, though) and replacing soiled towels in the shower (again, not done during our stay). Breakfast was served with good spirit by a helpful young man, but it was very disorganised - we had to ask for a spoon, then a glass, then a dish. There was no system. When we complained, the landlady gave no concessions, asserting she can't offer service 24/7, we're expecting too much. We only wanted what is a normal standad in B&Bs everywhere else. Having said that, it would have been fine for one night - we wouldn't have noticed the shortcomings apart from the quirks of the breakfast settings!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank heidiandiain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girvan
Woodland Bay Hotel
Glenapp Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballantrae
Premier Inn Ayr A77/Racecourse Hotel
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

Been to Southfield Hotel? Share your experiences!