“Best meal we had in Scotland!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Girvan
Wildings Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Girvan
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Didn't stay in the hotel but did visit the restaurant. It was the best meal we had in 2 weeks in Scotland! The presentation was beautiful. Everyone raved about their particular meal--and the desserts were exquisite. No problem with the wait staff--they were friendly and let us eat in peace.

Note, however, that this was a quiet weekly evening not a busy weekend evening (booking required from what we heard).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 June 2009

This will be brief - rooms ok but you can hear what's happening next door, food is excellent but it's a pity the staff don't know the basics of good service, on the weekend, later in the evening, you can enjoy the company of inebriated locals and if you wait long enough, you can enjoy the company of inebriated staff too.

This establishment is trying to be all things to all men. The location makes one half the local watering hole while the other half is trying to be a nice hotel and restaurant. The two don't mix well.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Fredbred
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Wildings is a small hotel/restaurant in Maidens - a small fishing village 15 miles south of Ayr. It is primarily a seafood restaaurant with approximately 8 rooms.

We had stayed the previous year for our anniversary and really enjoyed the experience. We booked in again on a Saturday night for dinner, bed and breakfast. Check-in was nice enough but the room was quite poky and outdated.

We had booked dinner so I went down to our table whilst my wife got ready. In the end we ordered our food a little later. The food was ok but the waiting service was terrible. Numerous staff walked past our tables when we had clearly finished our meals. I believe it was 2 hours from finishing our starters to having our main courses removed.

Wildings used to have a small bar area where you could relax with a drink. This no longer exists as they extended the dining area so you can't actually sit anywhere after your meal. Nor are there any other establishments nearby. We complained about the lax service and were told by the manager that it was Saturday night. We were also told that our 5 minute delay in ordering had led to a bigger delay in getting food from the kitchen. A wearisome excuse - get the right amout of staff in on the busiest night! We were offered a free drink but declined.

Our night was pretty much finished and with nothing else nearby, we decamped to bed. A few hours later the couple next door waltzed home. They were absolutely drunk and were shrieking and shouting. The walls are paper thin and despite us banging on the door they refused to calm down. We had had enough so gathered our belongings and checked out, at approximately midnight. However, all the waiting staff were assembled on the stairs and were mostly a few wines down themselves. I asked the wine waiter to check us out but we had to wait for the till to reboot. Then the waiting staff started questioning our reasons for checking out. We did not want to engage in coversation but the waitresses proceeded to be very rude to us. My wife left to stand outside and one of the waitresses followed and berated her reasons - even calling her names. Horrendous customer service and very unprofessional. I regrettably paid the bill and we left.

Wilings is good for a nice seafood meal but they are not hoteliers, by any stretch of the imagination. I would recommend them for a mid-week evening meal provided you are not staying over.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Hilsyinfinite
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Wildings Restaurant is very popular and worth a visit. The hotel bedrooms have recently been completely refurbished to a very high standard and are most comfortable. However our room was at the back and very small with a view of the car park etc. The rooms at the front are much more spacious and have a beautiful view of the beach, sea and harbour. It seemed a bit unfair that we still paid £90 the same as our friends who were in the far superior front rooms. Breakfast was okay but the scrambled egg and mushrooms were very salty. .

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My husband & I stayed at Wildings 1-3 July and really enjoyed our visit. I would say it is more a restaurant with rooms rather than a hotel.
The food is very, very good from a menu with lots of choice and the wine list caters for a wide variety of tastes as well as price. We both ordered the halibut and agreed it's the best we had ever tasted. We can also highly recommend the Tempura Prawns and Fishcakes. The time inbetween courses however is minimal, for example we finished our 3 course meal in just under 1 hour. Ask for a slower service if that's your preference.
The staff are all very attentive, friendly and aim to please, which in this day and age we found very refreshing.
The bedroom was lovely, and any "electronic" hiccups had been resolved ( see following review). The gratis toiletries are basic, i.e. bath gel, hair shampoo/conditioner and shower cap, but a powerful hairdryer and iron are provided. The bed was very comfortable with extra pillows stored in the wardrobe. The bedrooms range from twins, doubles and king size beds so make your preference known when booking. All but 2 of the bedrooms have sea views. The only small negative is that air-con would have been nice because of the high humidity.
Overall,a very well run establishment that serves very good food at very reasonable prices. We will certainly stay again if we are ever in the South Ayrshire area.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I stayed at Wildings for two nights in June 2008.

Let me start with the good points - the food was fantastic. Every meal I had there was really delicious, and they cater for the single diner admirably. The refurbished rooms were good, the bed comfortable and the staff were generally polite, if a little absent minded (the restaurant can be quite busy, and often there's no-one on reception).

The second morning there was no hot water, so I couldn't have a hot shower.

When I checked out, I reviewed my bill to discover there was £80 of drinks I hadn't had added to it from the second night. I explained that I was there on my own, and I'd had only one glass of wine with dinner before going back to my room. The girl on reception looked at me suspiciously, but reluctantly took them off.

No internet access.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank MS33138
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I had business at nearby Turnberry and couldn't face paying the latter's appalling prices (although it's a fabulous place) so sought an alternative. Wildings had finished its renovation only that day, and it showed - new flatscreen TVs didn't work, clever new electronic key thingy unreliable, etc, etc. But the rooms are lovely, the food (only had breakfast though the dinner menu read really well) is extremely good, the staff are lovely and the price is a bargain. I can't see myself staying at Turnberry again unless I'm on a freebie.

1  Thank adam_from_oxford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girvan
Woodland Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballantrae
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Wildings Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!