Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
1,596 results
All reviewsafternoon teagolf courseailsa craigmain restaurantpitch and puttround of golfplay golfspa areagreat golfailsa barfirst classstunning hotelirish seasteam roomspa treatmentssea viewgrand tea lounge
999 - 1,004 of 1,596 reviews
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We visited here for my wife's birthday and she loved it. There are plenty of car park spaces round the back and on arriving the concierge took our names and helped my partner with her bag. He was dressed smartly in a kilt and was a great start to our visit and made us feel very welcome. He took us through to a separate check in desk away from the reception and I liked the privacy it offered. The staff member was very friendly, although his name fails me since am sure it was Greek and for me difficult to pronounce. Thanks anyway. We took the lift to our room on the second floor with our bags, but after this used the stairs, which were nice and traditional and kept in good order. Our room was nice and the bed was massive and so comfortable it would be easy to stay in there all day. Plenty of channels available on the tv as well with three sky sports channels. The bathroom was nice and a lot cooler than the room area probably due to the tile flooring. There was a separate bath and shower and the bath was longer than standard. We visited the swimming pool area before dinner, but unfortunately had to wait till the next morning to see the terrific views as it was dark by this time. The pool was a nice temperature with the added bonus of the Jacuzzi if you found it cold. My wife also took advantage of the steam room, which is not really my cup of tea. After going to the room to change we went for dinner in the 1906 restaurant and the service was superb from start to finish. As we were seated one of the diners at the table behind us was getting her steak diane flambed table side by the chef, which I later found out came with a supplement of £15 on the package we had booked. We had been given an ipad on arrival to choose our drinks and my wife liked this as she could browse the various cocktails available. Bread rolls were brought to our table and we were given plenty of time to decide and told just to ask if we needed any assistance with any menu item. I went for the Duck Terrine, which was superb and my partner thoroughly enjoyed the pate. These were decent sized portions and the bread rolls also came in handy here. For main I had sirloin steak or Orkney island beef as they put it and this was really well presented and cooked to perfection. My wife had a pork dish and had asked for chips as a side portion. This consisted of a small bowl of what I would describe as small roast potatoes, but they were a really nice accompaniment even though I should not believe you should pay £5 extra when you have paid so much to stay in the first place. Both desserts were also really nice and well presented. I had a sort of Caramel apple dish, which was a poached apple served with ice cream and plenty of caramel. I really enjoyed and my wife's dish also went down well. Staff were friendly throughout and our table was brushed clean after our meal. We also had a drink in the bar and as expected this was quite expensive, but top notch service. In the morning we went down for breakfast about 9am and were given a great seat near the window overlooking the golf course and Ailsa Craig. For breakfast there is an extensive continental selection as well as choosing a hot selection if you like. I simply had the cooked breakfast and everything was excellent, but a special word for the stornoway black pudding. I really like haggis with my fry up so enjoyed this, but I think the black pudding trumped it on this occasion. Fry up was served with your choice of eggs, but there were plenty of other options as well as two separate vegetarian options. Orange juice was offered throughout and I got a pot of coffee. Toast was brought to the table well before the cooked breakfast, which is just a typical grievance of mine as I prefer to eat warm toast with my cooked breakfast. An hour or so after breakfast we went back to the pool to relax and I basically had a dip before drying off reading the paper. I would say the corridor between the hotel and the spa area might be in need of some repair with parts looking tired and some cracks appearing. The check out process was simple with our final bill explained and it was the same staff member that had checked us in. I would also make special mention of the log fire near reception where you can sit and have a coffee. Overall a fantastic hotel. Very pricey, but this is to be expected and next time I visit I might even try to get some golf in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark T
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We upgraded our stay to a deluxe room (non-ocean view) and were very glad we did! Our room was well decorated and spacious, but the highlight was the bathroom! It was huge with a gorgeous double bath tub and separate shower room. I could've stayed in there!

The rest of the hotel is beautiful, with a modern feel despite retaining many of the original features.

The spa/pool area is small but was very quiet in the early evening so it wasn't a problem.

Another highlight was breakfast the next morning in the 1906 restaurant. Coffee and orange juice is brought straight over to your table. The buffet has a huge selection and you can order a cooked breakfast off menu. I had the vegetarian grill which was excellent! All with stunning views of the golf course and Ailsa Craig!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful comments following your most recent visit to Turnberry. I am delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay amongst us. I am sure you will agree that our deluxe rooms are exquisite and although modern in style, do still capture the historic charm which Turnberry exudes. We take great pride in providing our guests with a spectacular breakfast which sets you up for a day of golf or exploring the surroundings- it is great to hear that you enjoyed this aspect of your visit. We hope to welcome you back to the resort in 2014 where further memorable experiences await you.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

On arrival; we were greeted by the door staff whom could not be more attentive and friendly, a warm welcome is important and our luggage was whisked to our rooms with the offer of valet parking. Slightly overbearing but as you do... Check-in efficient, tour of the hotel... pointless but well ok it consisted of a thirty second orientation walk to point down the corridor at the 1906 dining room and then the stairs to our room, which most would not require, however it was more than you receive at most hotels so different and in no way unpleasant.

The room; deluxe class and very nice with an incredible view - even though as a local I see this view most days - the room was well appointed however this is where my 'not perfect' comment comes to the surface. Firstly, the room climate control was set to 27'C and on entry we both immediately headed for a window and clocked the temp down to 19'C which is the minimum setting and on full fan. No kidding, with two windows open we were still roasting like two wee chickens and slept poorly because of the heat - my tongue actually was sticking to the roof of my mouth in the morning. My wife commented that a "man" designed the room, whether that is accurate I can not say but to dry her hair she had to sit on the floor with the wardrobe mirror folded out as there's no vanity mirror in the room which is a basic amenity nor an accessible socket at the table even if there were. The bathroom, no chair or indeed anywhere to place clothes when undressing... Little things can make big impressions. Now that's a gripe I admit although the poor sleep due to the heat did have an impact, indeed I raised the complaint at check-out and got the standard "did you tell anyone" response, well actually at 11pm on returning to my room the last thing I want is an engineer poking about as I thought opening the windows (all of them) should probably have effect. Nope... I've heard that response before so decided not to pursue the matter, no gesture actually no real apology just an assurance they will have it looked at... well the next guest will benefit hopefully.

Evening; Anyway, I was quite surprised that there were promotional £5 cocktails and of course took up the challenge, unfortunately we were not called to our table thirty minutes after the pre-booked time and had to bring this to the attention of the staff. Dinner in 1906 was nice and it was a treat to have some classic dishes in the old fashioned way, however it was unfortunate that a new fashioned dress code allowing jeans, no jacket, polo-shirts seemed acceptable... have it one way or the other I say not casual attire and fine dining.

My last stay was the 'eve of our wedding at nearby Culzean and it was great to be back. Just a shame a couple of small things made such a big difference, to this grumpy old conservative git on his birthday. Essentially I'd go back for dinner but not a stay over.

Room Tip: Check the Aircon. Upgrade to Deluxe with View.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your most recent visit to Turnberry. All feedback is greatly appreciated as it allows us to monitor the level of service and identify any areas which may require our attention. Whilst I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused by the issues you experienced during your stay. I have passed on your feedback to the relevant departments to address with their teams. The issue you mention with the location of the socket and mirror is something which we are aware of and are looking at addressing in the coming year. I hope that your experience on this occasion would not deter you from returning in the future as it would be my pleasure to welcome you back. Should you plan a return visit, please contact me directly in the executive office (gemma.scobie@luxurycollection.com) and I will be delighted to ensure that you are allocated a more suitable room and will receive the best of attention throughout. Wishing you and your family all the very best for 2014.

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Champagne afternoon tea to celebrate mums 80th birthday and it was an occasion to remember. From the welcome at the door to the table service every member of staff added something special to make the celebration all the better. The food itself was superb although we had someone in our party with gluten intolerance and she wasn't too impressed with her offerings, but think that's the norm with that type of food. Very special memories created for a special occasion. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for choosing Turnberry as the destination for your mother's 80th Birthday celebrations. I am delighted to see that you had a most enjoyable time having afternoon tea with us. I am sure you will agree that the epicurean offerings coupled with the breathtaking views make for a memorable experience. We hope to welcome you and your family back to the resort in 2014.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff really made it for us.
They were friendly ,chatty and always had a smile on their face.The rooms were superbly appointed to, and being golfers the reception that we received at the pro shop was as good as anywhere if not better!.
I don t think I have been anywhere more obliging. Well done and sincere thanks to you all! We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family