“Fantastic, Relaxing & Best Massage I've Ever Had”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, Relaxing & Best Massage I've Ever Had”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Visited today on a deal purchased on ITISON. Being a regular to different spas on deals I didn't expect the 1st class service I got as usually we are treated second class to those who pay full price. All I can say is the best spa i've visited and best massage I have ever had. On arrival the place is spotlessy clean from reception, changing areas, showers and pools. Our prosecco and petit fours were served at the poolside and we were able to enjoy these overlooking the beautiful views across to Ailsa Craig. I enjoyed the use of the jacuzzi before going through to a relaxation area which also had a sauna and steam room. I was met here by my therapist Kirsty who took me through to the treatment room. A full consultation was given prior to treatment and as I stated previously I received the best massage i've ever had. She found a couple of areas of concern and gave appropriate treatment. After the massage I was taken through to another relaxation area until I was ready to continue my day. A fantastic day and I will most definately return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments following your recent spa day here at Trump Turnberry. Regardless of the price paid or booking channel, all of our guests are treated to the same high standard of service for which we are renowned. It gives me great pleasure to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable afternoon and that your experience was a memorable one. Please be assured that I will personally pass your comments on to Kirsty who will be as delighted to hear them as I am. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Saint Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Trump Turnberry, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland is a world class golf destination, and delivers on that, but is far, far more than such a limiting label. Even those who do not golf will have to expend absolutely zero effort in finding ways to indulge themselves- they even offer an excursion service if you want to expand beyond the resort itself. However, on the premises there is not a shortage AT ALL: The spa at the resort has everything anyone could want to last their entire trip in various relaxing ways-mineral to mud baths, a plethora of massages (the hot rocks is a MUST), steam room, sauna, lap and a full-size pool that boasts a waterfall, Jacuzzi, change rooms that offer a quiet room off of itself to simply unwind, and you are able to enjoy wine and have a light meal whilst lounging poolside, too-all while in your lovely Turnberry robe and slippers, and enjoying the stunning view of The Irish Sea and Ailsa Craig out of the floor to ceiling wall of windows that the pool lounge area offers. The only way to top this is to complete the day with a visit to The Ailsa Bar and Lounge for a light meal and beverage (they offer everything from local favourites to thirty year old vintage Scotches along with a wine cellar that is second to NONE), or the globally acclaimed and award winning 1906 Restaurant-whose Chef is masterful at taking local ingredients and putting an international ‘spin’ on them, which results in a familiar yet cosmopolitan flavour at the same time. The lobster is simply a MUST- actually, any of the seafood offerings…and the steak dishes.  What rather surprised me though, is that the best prime rib that I have EVER enjoyed came not from this stunning dining room, but from the club house at the golf club, so do not forget to also enjoy a meal and drink at the Tappie Toorie lounge and restaurant, too- great meals, friendly atmosphere, and breath-taking views of the course and ocean, too! While visiting the Turnberry, along with your Tee Time, make sure you reserve a time for High Tea (which they have won awards for, several years running, in how they prepare and present it), as it is an experience that is just going to be numbered amongst the highlights of your trip-the teas alone on that menu go on for pages, and the wait staff, as all the employees in general, make the occasion (or any occasion/interaction) one that maintains dignity, but also not overly stiff or stuffy. When not in meal service, this area, being off of the lobby, makes an ideal lounge and offers a gorgeous view of the ocean and Turnberry Golf Club, and is an ideal vantage point to watch the bagpiper as he plays before sunset nightly. Witnessing this is an experience that is moving and…well, must be experienced for its full impact. Right from the check-in, which is so pleasant as you are seated during the quick process, which is much more…humane, after a day of travel (while unseen hands whisk your luggage to your suite) to departure, the efficient but every friendly, available, and outgoing staff make sure you want for nothing and have answers, or get them to you, to make sure your trip is a good one. That these are local people assure that if (for whatever reason) you desire to leave the resort you will have great and fun destinations to go to-gearing it to be appropriate if it is a single person, couple or family or a group. This I found VERY useful for sightseeing and picture taking, and it meant that I did not have wasted trips or ended-up in ‘tourist traps.’ Finally, and most importantly as it is where our heads are placed at the end of the day the suites are spacious, clean, well appointed, and the beds are truly from a celestial realm (the turndown service forgets nothing-including making sure the curtains are drawn, your slippers are at bedside, and there is a piece of fudge boxed and at bedside). The suites (or at least many of them) boast dressing rooms, fireplaces, and parlours. The solid marble washroom also had a shower that had the ability of the user being able to set the temperature to be held throughout, and adjust both the setting and the water pressure one wishes to enjoy; as well as to simply steam. These suites are tastefully and lavishly furnished, and, like all of the resort, are decorated to keep in mind the age and dignity of the grand building itself while being comfortable. I would highly recommend making a choice of rooms that look onto Ailsa Craig. Also, they make sure that the usual aspects are included that one expects, such as well-appointed courtesy fridge, shoeshine service, morning paper, hairdryer, iron-although they also laundry service-etc. What truly DID surprise me was that so much of the television offerings were free of charge with only pay-per-view selections being the charged for services. Convertors were readily available and received at check-in for electronics, and the outlets were ample in the suite, which was a nice surprise given the age of the hotel. Telephones were equally numerous, even including an extension in the washroom. My ten days at this hotel has made it my new number one choice-replacing one that I have stayed at (and still adore) for multiple stays on differing lengths over the span of almost thirty years. If there was a low point I would certainly relay it, but there truly was not one. An example of the degree of service and genuine concern for their guests, one of many that I personally experienced, follows: the concierge service actually had a note delivered to my room expressing concern that the times I had booked via the Turnberry for a car and driver from the resort to the airport is Glasgow had not allowed enough time due to weekday morning traffic, politely requesting that I considered allowing an extra hour. ‘World Class’ does not even come close to expressing what I am attempting to convey. It is the only establishment that I have ever stayed at that I made a very pointed effort to say ‘good-bye’ to the staff that I had, had personal interactions with before I left, and I WILL be back. . The Trump Turnbery is more than a gem; it is the prize of The Crown Jewels, pure and simple. A discerning traveller MUST experience this resort, and go for the golf-but MORE than the golf to truly experience what there is that is off

Room Tip: Make sure you request a suite that faces the ocean.
Green Features: Award winning environmental efforts as a sustainable luxury hotel posted in grand staircase area.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a complimentary review following your recent visit to Trump Turnberry; we are truly honoured to hear that you hold us in such high regards. As hoteliers, our sole focus is on providing our guests with unique experiences which exceed their expectations on all accounts and I am delighted that your stay was an exceptional one from your arrival to departure. I am sure you will agree that the resort is a very special place offering breathtaking views, exquisite epicurean offerings, legendary golf and relaxation but we believe that the true jewel in the crown is our staff who consistently provide the high levels of service for which we are renowned and bring each individual experience to life. Thank you once again for your comments; we look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

There is nothing I do not like about this hotel.....except that it has just been bought by a certain Mr Trump. He might surprise us and make it into something every bit as amazing as it is now but I don't have a good feeling about that. Yes he'll spend lots of money on it, but will he turn it into something that appeals to his own target market rather than what its current clientele all love now and have done for many years?

There is just something about leaving the coastal road and heading up the impressive driveway that leads you to this fantastic haven of a hotel. As soon as you pull up, stylishly kilted staff greet you and make you feel like the most important guest they have greeted all day. You are then escorted to reception where you sit at a desk while they check you in and again you are made to feel like a VIP.

I always ask for a room with an ocean view as the coastline in this part of Scotland is stunning, with views of the Ailsa Craig, the Isle of Arran, the lighthouse and not forgetting the famous golf course. My room this time was over in the spa end of the building which suited us perfectly as we had treatments booked. Floor to ceiling windows let the sunshine (and the view) just flood into our room.

I had a friend with me and had been raving to them about how good 1906, the main restaurant, is and was delighted they lived up to the high praise I had given it. Cocktails in the bar next door also went down particularly well, in excellent surroundings.

One cannot go to the Turnberry Hotel without indulging in an Afternoon Tea overlooking the golf course. Amazing as ever.

Given it was such a warm sunny day, we also opted to play pitch and putt on the course in the hotel grounds. The staff were only too happy to lend us the necessary equipment and some sage (jovial) advice about appropriate conduct on the course. The groundsman who was tending to the course did not look in the slightest dismayed at our abysmal attempts at playing the game and certainly helped us celebrate my hole-in-one - I am not sure who was more incredulous at finding the ball in the hole! Him or me! Such is the friendly Scottish banter in this hotel.

Definitely follow the path across the golf course and go for a walk along the beach.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view. A sea view. In this instance it is worth it!
Green Features: my biggest impression is that they source as much of the produce served in the restaurants as locally as they possibly can making for very tasty meals with a local twist
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your most recent visit to Trump Turnberry. As someone who clearly holds the resort in such high regards, I am sure you will agree that with a storied past and some of the most captivating views on the West Coast; the resort is certainly a special place. As we proceed with our renovation moving forward extra care and attention will be taken to ensure that we preserve the history and charm of the hotel and I am sure you will find the new Trump Turnberry to be exquisite! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Spent a weekend with another couple in July for golf. I am an SPG platinum life member.

We were lodged in the spa building, not the main building, and were not given much accommodation for a late checkout.

Had to ask for a second fan, and no assistance given to cool a room with a single small window to vent during the hottest July in memory.

Consistently told the lodge was booked, and there was a wedding, but the bars, dining etc were empty and the car park did not reflect a full hotel.

Service was generally solid, I think the transition to Trump may be affecting the property.

There's a fair amount of noticeable wear in the rooms, bath, and bar. These could have been overlooked, if not for the rest.

For the location and price, I have a separate recommendation elsewhere filed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark E
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Turnberry experience. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion due to the temperature in your room; please accept my sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused. As you point highlight in your review, this was exceptionally warm weather and unfortunately our classic rooms do not yet have air conditioning which does have an impact on our operation. As we proceed with a renovation, please be assured that installing air conditioning across the resort is a matter of high priority and that your comments regarding wear and tear will be suitably addressed. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Trump Turnberry and having the opportunity to restore your confidence in us. Should you plan a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact Gemma in the executive office who will ensure your next stay is memorable for all the right reasons.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Loved hotel. Felt so relaxed and well cared for. Hotel has old fashioned charm. Staff are lovely and can't do enough for you. Food is amazing in 1906 restaurant with lovely views over links and sea. Spa good not great. Weather was terrible when we were there. Wind was whistling through windows in bedroom. Complained and repair man fixed windows. Nothing pretentious about hotel. Lots of golfers. Expensive but 5 star. Rooms with view out front definitely best.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent Trump Turnberry experience. I am delighted to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable weekend amongst us. I am sorry to hear that the ever-changing Ayrshire weather wasn’t in your favour and would like to apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused by the wind coming through your bedroom windows. Please be assured that as we proceed with the forthcoming renovation that this matter will certainly have our attention. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The Ailsa course is one of my favourites in the world and so we stayed two nights and played it twice. I had some suggested changes to this historic course outlined to me which just seemed to me total madness. If Trump ruins my favourite place in the world I will be so disappointed.
If you stay at this hotel you must get an ocean view room. The view is spectacular. Modern rooms and very comfortable beds. Bathrooms are upmarket and well specked. I had a massage in the spa and this is a great facility too. I love this place. Donald, stick to what you know and don't mess with a fantastic course.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your most recent visit to Trump Turnberry. I appreciate your comments and am sorry to hear that you are not enthused by the suggested changes to the Ailsa Course. Please be assured that we would never undertake work that would put the standard of such an iconic course at risk and that any changes made will be done so in accordance with the R&A. All staff here at Trump Turnberry share your love of the resort, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future when further memories can be created.
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We went to Turnberry for a weekend getaway and we only wished we would have stayed longer. The service was excellent, the room was huge and the experience overall was flawless. 1906 (the restaurant) was also really good, with the added bonus of a breathtaking view!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Trump Turnberry as the destination for your relaxing weekend away. I am delighted to hear that all aspects of your stay were enjoyable and will be sure to pass your kind comments on to our team. We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the future where further Turnberry Adventures await!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Glenapp Castle
Western House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!