“Maryville's Secret”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Kentucky
“Maryville's Secret”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is an excellent restaurant and is mostly populated by locals. I asked several people, including our hotel where it was located and none had heard of it. Reservations are advised because the restaurant is full most nights. I had a rack of venison on a bed of spaetzel with a blackberry reduction. It was excellent. We also had scallops with fettuccine that was also excellent (it did not have bacon on it maybe because of the complaint from "Disappointed" below). The portions were of good size. Entrees are in the $20-30 range. While the exterior of the restaurant give it low curb appeal, inside it is small and comfortable. Service was excellent.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BobKentucky

Maryville, Tennessee, United States
“Second visit was disappointing.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It truly pains me to leave a negative review for this place since I was hoping to have a "5-star" experience on our second visit. On my review from September 2nd, 2013 (please read under 4-star reviews), I rated Foothills Milling 4 stars and we were still excited to try it again.

First, the appetizers. On our first visit, I mentioned the fried oysters were possibly "the best I have ever had" and since I have lived in Florida for about 50 years, I've had my fair share. That stated, I ordered them again only to discover two of the six oysters were "less than fresh" and a others had a few pieces of shell in them. Catherine (it was her birthday) ordered the fried green tomatoes, which were most likely prepared as well they could be, but let's face it...they're still fried green tomatoes.

On to the entrees. Catherine ordered the fried lobster tails (I have had fried lobster at another upscale restaurant and didn't care for them since you couldn't really taste the lobster). They were cooked to perfection with a wonderful presentation, however were still a little "greasy" and, once again, the tempura batter overpowered the lobster taste.

Now to my entree. I ordered the horseradish encrusted cobia. Again, being from Florida, I am more than familiar with this amazingly delicious fish. The presentation was very nice and the portion generous. My first bite was amazing, however my second bite, not so much. I then flipped the cobia over only to find the "blood line" had not been removed from the fish, a rather disappointing over-site. I then removed the "blood line" and the rest of the fish was delicious (although a little messy at this point).

The owner, Tommy, did come over and I shared my concerns. He excused himself for a minute and upon his return, he advised he spoke with the chef (his brother), who stated he does remove the blood line. At this point, I didn't wish to get into a "contest" with him and almost wished our plates had not been removed so I could show him what I had cut out. Tommy did offer to comp our entire bill (including a very nice bottle of wine), however I explained I didn't want a "freebie" and left a $100 bill on the table.

Again, I was really looking forward to a 5 star experience and to be able to share that experience, however, we would be reluctant to spend another $100 there.

P.s. When I went to complete this review, I noticed the "upload photo" button and remembered that I actually took pictures of our entrees. If you look, you can actually see the blood line in my cobia, especially on the piece on the right (cobia is a whitefish, the bloodline is the reddish-gray color).
Also, the pricing listed on Trip Advisor is a little off. The appetizers average about $10 each and the entrees average about $30 each (Catherine's lobster was $36 and my cobia was $32).

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Jeff B
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Upscale country”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have been meaning to try this local restaurant for a year. We were finally able to arrange a reservation for a Wednesday evening. We arrived a bit early and waited at the bar. The bar area was clean and bright and the service was top notch. Excellent wine selection and Wednesdays are 1/2 price bottles ( a happy coincedence for me!!). The menu is seasonal and it changes q couple of times a year. The folks here try to stay locally sourced as much as possible and that is important to me in a restaurant. We tried the sausage platter which was divine! Very upscale southern here! The main dishes were excellent as well. I ordered the salmon and my husband ordered the venison and we shared. The portions were just right and the sides were excellent. The experience just couldn't have been any better. Excellent service, excellent food and excellent menu.

• Visited May 2014
Maryville, Tennessee
“The best restaurant within 100 miles”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed! Be sure to make a reservation . It is a little expensive but worth every penny.upscale for a small town and we are proud to have it in our area.

• Visited January 2014
Knoxville
“Great spot in Maryville”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is one of those word of mouth finds that you love. What appears to once be a three car auto garage, a great little restaurant now stands. Tucked away and likely to be passed for those not in the know is a fantastice little restaurant in downtown Maryville. I've been twice this year and the service and the food and the entire experience has been great. The salmon was out of this world and these people will change the way you think about meatloaf forever. Highly recommend.

• Visited May 2014