“Lovely nights stop over.”

The Popinjay Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosebank
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just had an overnight stay at the Popinjay hotel whilst visiting friends. The staff were courteous and helpful, the room was very clean and well presented. The onsite Spa is well maintained and the gym was excellent, even provided towels for swimming. The pool was warm and a descent size although it was quite noisy due to a toddlers swimming session which I believe is on 3 days a week... on the plus side I now know all the verses to "Row,Row, Row your boat"
The restaurant was quiet in the evening and the food was lovely with a descent choice of menu. the breakfast is buffet style with an excellent choice, a cooked breakfast is available too.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will book again when I'm next up this way.

Room Tip: I had room 1 which faces the sunrise so make sure the curtains are drawn fully or wake up blinded li...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Just back from an overnight stay. Well done to all of the staff and an extra special thank you to Craig and Alison who both provided excellent service. Food was great, rooms were clean. looking forward to a return stay.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had a nice time at the popinjay got a lovely room, evening meal was good but service a bit slow, luckily we were not going anywhere else so that didn't matter. The swimming pool was good but the showers were cold. Breakfast was a buffet and there was a good variety of food the only negative was that tea and coffee was not served to the table instead you had to go up and serve yourself which meant a lot of people walking around with hot cups of tea, there are two swing doors from the kitchen into the restaurant so staff were coming through and I was walking past with my tea and had a near miss I think this is quite a dangerous practice I think serving tea/coffee to the table is essential. I have been to many hotels and have never seen this practice before. Having said that I would return to the hotel.

Room Tip: An upgraded room facing the gardens
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We went here for a family meal out. The staff were very attentive, the food was presented excellently and most importantly it tasted excellent.

We started off with starters, 1) prawn cocktail, 2)laphroig (I think!) smoked salmon, 3) chicken liver pate and 4) goats cheese. All were presented very pleasing to the eye and tasted great. We went on to mains 2 of the 4 had salmon, the other two had steaks. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and the steaks were presented with real chips (none of your frozen rubbish here) which delighted us diners.

We had a bottle of wine with the meal and the the whole shebang for 4 people came in at under £120

What's not to like?

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very helpful staff, supported my daughter very well as she is a Ceolic, they catered for everything. Nice surroundings and nice people. Excellent for a family, Get room no 11. The pool faclities are good, showers cold, may be a one off. Food in the restaurant was great. Keep the prices low and the service great we will come back.

Room Tip: Room 11 is great..
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here when visiting relatives locally. Externally the hotel looks in need of a touch up (balcony in disrepair over the main entrance) but we were pleasantly surprised with the decor in the public rooms and our bedroom.

There is a pleasant hint of Charles Rennie Macintosh in the entrance area and our bedroom was furnished in pleasing shades of chocolate and lighter colours. The bed was extremely comfortable and the en suite facilities were perfectly acceptable.

The dining room was well presented and the staff were exceptional in their wish to make our stay enjoyable. We only took breakfast at the hotel and this was delicious with a good choice of eating options available. The public areas were comfortable with gas log effect open fires and comfy chairs.

Our only disappointment was that the bedroom lighting was extremely dim (not uncommon in hotels nowadays). I applaud the efforts to save energy/costs but when you cannot read in bed...............?

The location with the river Clyde at the bottom of the garden is superb and is ideal for visiting local attractions.

We did not use the spa facilities so cannot comment on them.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel on Saturday the 12th April 2014 for one night in room 23. When we arrived I was pleased with the general reception and public areas and could tell the hotel had had a refurbishment as the last time I had been in the hotel was 24 years ago when my husband and I got engaged there.

However, my happiness was soon spoiled when we entered our room, to say I was disappointed is an understatement as there was a faint hint of dampness in the air in the room/bathroom and the room was depressing , it was a throw back to the 80's, very dated and bleak. A layer of dust was on the bed frame and the furniture was chipped and run down looking. I did ask to be moved but I was advised that they had no free rooms apparently. The bed was hard and 2 of the pillows were like stone and the duvet was limp and flat, we had a pretty uncomfortable night.

We booked on line but nowhere on the website did it say the hotel was undergoing refurbishment, and the picture of the standard room was not a true reflection of the room we were given, very misleading indeed. We asked to be moved but apparently there were no free rooms. On the positive side the staff were friendly and the food was good but check with them first before booking that you are not getting a non-refurbished room as mine was so depressing!

Room Tip: check your room has been refurbished
3  Thank Sharon H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosebank
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel

Been to The Popinjay Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!