“christmas night”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

group of eleven of us stayed over for christmas party night...staff very attentive and accomodating as we were there most of the day...before the actual party night ...large bedroom ...and lovely breakfast all for a great price...would go back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqueline C
There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We attended a christmas party last night at the royal hotel - a change of venue for us this year and first time at this location. The whole evening was somewhat bizarre - firstly we were given an option beforehand to purchase drinks vouchers - £2 a ticket which supposedly entitled you to a house drink from the hotels list of drinks ( no list provided at any point). Barman made it clear that a drink was either a glass of wine, bottle of miller beer or a shot of spirits with no mixer!!! Nothing else available. And i was told that a shot of spirits on its own did constitute a 'drink' so the vouchers didnt lie!!
Food was a bit of a curates egg - good in parts. All very rushed - due to start at 8, we were served tiny starters at 7.50 (no choice given) - main course was good although again very small plate and quantity - dessert again no choice and three tiny dots of each - meringue, one profiterole and tiny cube of cheesecake. Coffee served was so weak as to be unrecognisable as coffee - and served with no mints etc - cheese board served after the coffee - one per table and not sufficient for the guests. All cleared away and meal finished by 8.30 - very rushed! Disco dj then started up with a 10 question quiz - which was ok but he failed to bother giving the party goers the answers or to announce what table had won the quiz! Disco itself was a simple mixed playlist for 2 hours, no interaction from the young dj who spent the time texting on his mobile. The whole event ended at 12.30 rather than at 1 as advertised with a strange rendition of "loch lomond".
All in all, left feeling the hotel had put minimum effort in to the evening and we for one couple, will not return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lholman57
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Myself & 8 other friends stayed here for our xmas party night on 14th December. Although a little "Olde Worlde" I loved this as it gave the hotel character.I shared with my friend Claire & we had a massive big room with a generous bathroom that had both a bath & a shower.The room was spotlessly clean & the beds extremely comfy. The staff were very nice & helped us with any queries we had they also moved 1 of our party into a much larger room when we complained about the size of his room. We were there for a Xmas party night so we were just expecting the normal run of the mill food you get at these party nights. But the food was 1st class & the beef we got for our main meal was delicious.
We paid £75.00 each for the party night & overnight stay which included 5 vouchers for 5 free drinks. we also had an excellent breakfast the following moring before we headed home. How they manage to do all this for the price beats me but it was fantastic value for money & I definately will be back

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 which was at the back so was very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked lunch with Santa for my granddaughter and great granddaughter after being told that Santa would come round the tables and sit with the children and have a chat. It cost £42 for two adults and two children which had to be paid before the day. As well as lunch each child was given a gift.

The food was disappointing. The melon selection with berries was well presented but mine had tasted of onion. Pate and oatcakes was fine but the cream of vegetable soup was gloopy. My overlooked salmon was served on a bed of stirfried vegetables and it was grim. the veg consisted of green peppers and onions fried to a mush it was served with three minuscule roast potatoes and half a desert spoon of mash. The beef stew was tasty but was a lump of beef which was served with sprouts, carrot and roast potatoes. Macaroni was in fact cheesy penne pasta served as a massive portion to a two year old. The last meal was an acceptable chicken breast served with Christmas trimmings.
To finish we has a trio of deserts, one profiterole, a piece of cheesecake which had been cut from a bog standard cheesecake which had gone soggy and a tiny meringue garnished with a strawberry and cream.

All four of us got exactly the same size portions!

We went to the grotto to see Santa (a cleverly disguised gazebo) which was atmospheric. Santa however, we were told, was tired and he sat slumped in his chair resting his chin in his hand. He did indeed appear very lethargic, it is I suppose his busy time!

The gifts were acceptable, a badge making kit for the 4 year old and a drum with other musical instruments for the two year old.

I felt the meal was poor value for money in quality and quantity (for the adults).

On a positive note the staff were lovely and very attentive.

I didn't complain as I was treating the family and didn't want to cause a fuss.

I wouldn't repeat the experience . The children were disappointed that Santa didn't come and have lunch as we had expected. Four year olds can have high expectations of the big man!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hamish01
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

From the outside the place looks nice and this is the same feel in the corridor...Then you get into the room! My room had no working main light and I had to stumble around and find a lamp next to the bed to get some light. No remote for the TV. The bedroom itself is not as modern as would be expected but a nice big bed and TV although no remote was a good size. The bathroom was old and tired and not the cleanest.
Breakfast was grim and not really what I would have hoped for and finally when checking out I was met with a frosty reception from the girl serving. I merely asked for a VAT receipt and after much huffing and puffing I was supplied one.
Overall for the £55 paid it was fine but unfortunately I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RichRMP
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here on night on a business trip. Staff very pleasant and accommodating. My room was nicely done and looked like it had been upgraded recently. Only critisism was that it was quite dark as had no to light.

We eat in the hotel and me a!lwas good. Breakfast was cooked to order - always my acid test.

Excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Fantastic late room offer of B&B with dinner and bottle of wine for two. Food piping hot, strongly recommend the black pudding, bacon and tattie scone with poached egg on top for staters Naughty but nice! Double Room specious (Room 8). Staff very friendly especially the tall chap who checked us in, served our meal and served us in the Bar . Shame I was too tired to partake in a few jars. Having stayed in various hotels round this area including Hilton Dunblane, not a patch on this place. Thoroughly enjoying our stay, and if daughter gets into Stirling Uni, we will be frequent visitors (hopefully to same room). Kath Griffiths

Stayed: November 2013
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 20 in Stirling

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!