“Christmas party”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Booked the hotel for our Christmas party with 8 friends. What a fantastic night we had ! Food was excellent , no the usual pressed turkey or beef all very fresh including veg with a great trio if desserts.
Table service & bar staff excellent !!
Breakfast the following morning was Devine !!
Will definitely book for next year !!
Great night for a great price !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Book in for sparkling afternoon tea with a Groupon deal, whole afternoon was disappointing. The bread wasn't the freshest and I doubt the cakes were homemade. The 6 mini packs of flora for the pancakes and scones did make me chuckle. On leaving I was asked for my voucher I showed the man on reception the voucher on my app he told me I had to print or email, he was rather rude throughout the time I was trying to access my email to send it. I wouldn't go back the one thing I hate is rudeness.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We decided to go out for Christmas Lunch so went to the Royal Hotel and had a superb meal, despite an elderly lady taking ill the staff done well to keep their composure and get everyone served, the food was well presented, piping hot and delicious.
Thanks for a great meal would recommend and look to do again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JILL m
Reviewed 30 December 2013

group of eleven of us stayed over for christmas party night...staff very attentive and accomodating as we were there most of the day...before the actual party night ...large bedroom ...and lovely breakfast all for a great price...would go back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqueline C
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We attended a christmas party last night at the royal hotel - a change of venue for us this year and first time at this location. The whole evening was somewhat bizarre - firstly we were given an option beforehand to purchase drinks vouchers - £2 a ticket which supposedly entitled you to a house drink from the hotels list of drinks ( no list provided at any point). Barman made it clear that a drink was either a glass of wine, bottle of miller beer or a shot of spirits with no mixer!!! Nothing else available. And i was told that a shot of spirits on its own did constitute a 'drink' so the vouchers didnt lie!!
Food was a bit of a curates egg - good in parts. All very rushed - due to start at 8, we were served tiny starters at 7.50 (no choice given) - main course was good although again very small plate and quantity - dessert again no choice and three tiny dots of each - meringue, one profiterole and tiny cube of cheesecake. Coffee served was so weak as to be unrecognisable as coffee - and served with no mints etc - cheese board served after the coffee - one per table and not sufficient for the guests. All cleared away and meal finished by 8.30 - very rushed! Disco dj then started up with a 10 question quiz - which was ok but he failed to bother giving the party goers the answers or to announce what table had won the quiz! Disco itself was a simple mixed playlist for 2 hours, no interaction from the young dj who spent the time texting on his mobile. The whole event ended at 12.30 rather than at 1 as advertised with a strange rendition of "loch lomond".
All in all, left feeling the hotel had put minimum effort in to the evening and we for one couple, will not return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lholman57
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Myself & 8 other friends stayed here for our xmas party night on 14th December. Although a little "Olde Worlde" I loved this as it gave the hotel character.I shared with my friend Claire & we had a massive big room with a generous bathroom that had both a bath & a shower.The room was spotlessly clean & the beds extremely comfy. The staff were very nice & helped us with any queries we had they also moved 1 of our party into a much larger room when we complained about the size of his room. We were there for a Xmas party night so we were just expecting the normal run of the mill food you get at these party nights. But the food was 1st class & the beef we got for our main meal was delicious.
We paid £75.00 each for the party night & overnight stay which included 5 vouchers for 5 free drinks. we also had an excellent breakfast the following moring before we headed home. How they manage to do all this for the price beats me but it was fantastic value for money & I definately will be back

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 which was at the back so was very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked lunch with Santa for my granddaughter and great granddaughter after being told that Santa would come round the tables and sit with the children and have a chat. It cost £42 for two adults and two children which had to be paid before the day. As well as lunch each child was given a gift.

The food was disappointing. The melon selection with berries was well presented but mine had tasted of onion. Pate and oatcakes was fine but the cream of vegetable soup was gloopy. My overlooked salmon was served on a bed of stirfried vegetables and it was grim. the veg consisted of green peppers and onions fried to a mush it was served with three minuscule roast potatoes and half a desert spoon of mash. The beef stew was tasty but was a lump of beef which was served with sprouts, carrot and roast potatoes. Macaroni was in fact cheesy penne pasta served as a massive portion to a two year old. The last meal was an acceptable chicken breast served with Christmas trimmings.
To finish we has a trio of deserts, one profiterole, a piece of cheesecake which had been cut from a bog standard cheesecake which had gone soggy and a tiny meringue garnished with a strawberry and cream.

All four of us got exactly the same size portions!

We went to the grotto to see Santa (a cleverly disguised gazebo) which was atmospheric. Santa however, we were told, was tired and he sat slumped in his chair resting his chin in his hand. He did indeed appear very lethargic, it is I suppose his busy time!

The gifts were acceptable, a badge making kit for the 4 year old and a drum with other musical instruments for the two year old.

I felt the meal was poor value for money in quality and quantity (for the adults).

On a positive note the staff were lovely and very attentive.

I didn't complain as I was treating the family and didn't want to cause a fuss.

I wouldn't repeat the experience . The children were disappointed that Santa didn't come and have lunch as we had expected. Four year olds can have high expectations of the big man!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Stirling

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!