“Not the best ”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Not the best ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night while on business in Stirling. I booked this stay on late rooms for £72. The room was cold on arrival, I turned the radiator on , if I was running a hotel in winter, I would turn on radiators in guests rooms that had been allocated prior to there arrival. The room and bathroom were nice and the bed comfy. The bar service was sporadic due to staff vanishing, there were very few customers. I skipped eating in the restaurant as it was so quiet and I wasn't hopeful of decent service. The breakfast in the morning was good and well microwaved pre cooked items. The staff on a whole were pleasant.
My mind is not made up on this place and I am not sure if I would stay here again, it just doesn't hit the mark I was left feeling disappointed for the price I paid.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paddy8204

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We got a deal from amazon local and had a wonderful time. The reception staff (especially Jeannie) were exceptionally helpful - nothing was ever too much for them and Jeannie even offered to take our dog for a walk while we were at the pub for an hour or 2 which was above the call of duty. We weren't expecting such a lovely hotel as it was pet friendly but our room was big enough for us and the dog and the bathroom was huge! Yes shower could be a bit temperamental at peak times which is expected but room was clean and we got huge fluffy towels each day along with anything else we would like off of the cleaning trolley. At times the service when eating was a bit of a shambles but nothing that ruined our stay. We would definitely stay at this hotel if we were coming to Bridge of Allan again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Jennifer75389
Fort William, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Hotel dirty and damp. Shower over bath didn't maintain temperature. Carpets and chairs in room were stained. Light fitting full of flies. Whole place needed a good clean and renovated. Definitely not worth the price. Would not visit again.

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 22rtwer

Travellers are raving about these Bridge of Allan hotels

Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Your glass of bubbly is Lambrini, scones and pancakes were neither fresh nor home made! Coffee tasted like instant, sandwiches had obviously been left uncovered in the kitchen.. For a while!! Overall a very disappointing experience and will not be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 5co11y
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Booked half price dinner bed and breakfast deal for Mrs ahlbbak and myself at Royal and after reading some reviews was a bit worried.Have been before for bar lunch and remembered hotel as being very old building but well run with good food.On arriving were greeted by very friendly receptionist and made very welcome,given room no 11 which was obviously recently refurbished and above 3 star standard(tho they are trying for fourth star) and personally I feel with a few tweeks they deserve this.The staff we encountered were all very customer friendly and welcoming,Only problem we had was room was very cold and radiator was not adequate for size of room, however once we told member of staff an additional heater was provided and that was more than sufficient for us.Prices for alcohol were more like pub than hotel prices,the menu for dinner is mind boglingly large and a bit too large if you ask me but we enjoyed our food as did everyone we spoke to.The only negative was the slow service,I dont know if it was just an off night but it was slow,and to be honest not very well organised.But overall I would still go back and recommend the Royal to family and friends as the staff obviously try very hard and it has lovely rooms,good food and affordable bar.

Room Tip: Dont know if all rooms have been redone ask when booking.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ahlbbak
Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I received a gift of afternoon tea and bubbly as a Christmas gift from friends. It had been a Groupon deal and we were thrilled by the thoughtfulness of the gift.
Unfortunately the quality of the food served up was extremely poor and the “ I’ll take a note of your complaint and let the manager know” attitude of the waiting staff did little to alleviate our disappointment.
Shop bought scones and mini cakes, and basic bread sandwiches with as thin a filling of ham/ egg or cheese that you could imagine. The jam for the scones was re-potted into mini glass jars to give an impression of quality produce as was the cream which tasted like dream topping.It came with a plastic portion of margarine.
The hotel looked tired and there seemed to be damp on the walls of the dining room, but it was the food quality that was for us the source of our dissatisfaction.
We have not yet heard from the manager despite a 4 day time lapse so customer satisfaction seems to be of little importance to the establishment. Avoid.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shelagh22W
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My friend and I were searching for somewhere to eat and this hotel had promising signs outside advertising good food deals.From outside we could see a brightly lit bar.
We went into the reception area and stood for a while looking into a rather subdued restaurant, a staff member headed our way.We asked about eating and she looked us up and down and hissed " if you wish" and walked off.
We stuck our noses into the empty bar and were ignored by the barmaid.
So this is not a review of the food only of the frosty reception we received. Suffice to say we went elsewhere and very good it was too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 21 in Stirling
Premier Inn Stirling City Centre Hotel

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!