“Disappointing Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Grangemouth, Scotland
“Disappointing Afternoon Tea”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My sister and I booked a table for afternoon tea and were very disappointed. My sister asked for gluten free and was given a dinner plate with a mixture of large undainty sandwiches and a dinner plate with some biscuits and cakes. I am not gluten intolerant and was given a large dinner plate with four small tuna sandwiches(no choice) one scone, pancake and a few small cakes all on the same dinner plate. A cake stand would have been more appropriate. There was no butter, jam or cream for the scone or pancakes. When I have Afternoon Tea I like to have a nice cup and saucer, but was given a mug. No teaspoons or sugar were given until I asked for them. Very poor service. Will not be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I saw a deal on amazon local and thought yep loos good.

First receptionist sorry im busy can I have your number, put me on hold for five mins, came back on and she continued to speak to other guests. She never phoned me back.

Second receptionsit I asked about bringing my one year old said no issues just the voucher and I was good to go.

Booked voucher phoned to book. Was then told supplement fopr my son. I wouldnt have minded supplement if told up front but found this quite sneaky so I have cancelled my booking.

Customer service is a lot to do with a stay - could do a lot better

2 Thank Gail M

Travellers are raving about these Bridge of Allan hotels

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We booked the special offer of £70 fo dinner bed and breakfast. Room was cold on arrival and the 1 radiator was not sufficient as it was sited below a large, single glazed window which was hidden behind the curtains when closed so could not have possibly heated up the room. There was also a smell of cat wee as soon as you opened the door. The heated towel rail in bathroom didnt work and the single pendant light did nothing to lighten the room which was quite dark - room 14. These comments may sound a bit picky however the worst thing ever was there was no mattress cover! Surely a must in a hotel????? This would deter me from staying again.
The staff were friendly however and the dinner menu was very good and the food enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Uddingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

When to the bridge of all on Valentines week-end. It was a four course meal at dinner, it was lovely. Staff were really nice. Breakfast was good. We stayed in room 22 which was really clea. Hoping to go back in the next few weeks.

1 Thank MarybP2274CC
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed one night at the Royal Hotel and reserved two rooms-a double and a single.. The double room was very spacious with two big bay windows overlooking the high street, a large and very comfortable bed, a leather sofa, 2 comfy chairs and small table. The bathroom was also very big. The single room had two comfortable single beds, was of average size and had a large bathroom. Both rooms were very clean. One disappointment was poor lighting in the rooms Only lamps which were not bright.,I found it very difficult to read. We had a very warm welcome from reception. We had ordered evening meal which was taken in a pleasant restaurant with friendly service. The food was very nice.and presentation very good. At breakfast there was a good choice of juices, cereals, croissants, etc.and the cooked items were freshly cooked. All the staff were very pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 6 very spacious with two bay windows. large bed, sofa, two easy chairs and table.
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Myself and my husband choose the Royal hotel to hold our wedding, from the moment my family and myself arrived on site the staff could not be more helpful. We had booked the hotel based on the wedding facilities, it was a very nice surprise when we discovered all the bed rooms were modern and were lovely to sleep in. We had breakfast, afternoon tea and also evening meals held in the hotel, all of which I could not fault and the portion sizes were large.
The morning room cleaning staff are great, they discretly change over the room when you are out and offered any additional towels, tea bags etc whenever you needed them.
Two staff members in particular were great, Eva and also the bar manager, from the day I arrived until 5 days later when I left they could not have done anything more to help.These are clearly staff who take pride in what they do and this shines through in there work.
We viewed the royal hotel and others to hold our wedding, we attended a wedding event to show the parents the royal hotel and even based on this event , on the dayof the wedding the hotel was much more beautiful on the day.

Children's activities and fitness cntre has been marked down as we dont have children and I dont believe there was a fitness centre, but a great dance floor to use instead.

Room Tip: I was based in the honeymoon suite, but looking at other family members all rooms are the same decor...
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We had one night's stay at the Royal Hotel in a family room for 2 adults and 2 children. Room very good size. Had a very large bed which was 2 large singles attached, a sofa bed and a z-bed. The sofa bed had a large ridge down the middle which was very uncomfortable so we were given a spare duvet to sleep on which helped a little but not much. One half of the large bed was uncomfortable as the mattress sunk in the middle. The other mattress was ok. The lighting was very dull even when we switched on all the various lights and lamps. Room was clean as was bathroom with plenty of thick towels. No spare toilet roll and the one that was in bathroom was not a full roll. We tried to log onto WiFi but were unable to connect. Had to turn up radiators to heat room which we would have thought would have already been done. Creaky floorboards but that didn't bother us. Ate in Windows restaurant. Service and food very good. Breakfast was bit shambolic. Only one waiter taking orders for everyone. No milk in the buffet section for cereals and the juices were practically empty. By the time the milk was replenished we were served our hot breakfast so we had to rush our cereal and toast while our hot food was put on the table getting cold. This should have been served to us once we'd finished our cereal but this didn't seem to be an option. Saying this, the cooked breakfast was very good even though it was very lukewarm. Staff were very friendly and accommodating and couldn't fault this aspect. Not a bad stay but things could be improved. We would stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 21 in Stirling
Premier Inn Stirling City Centre Hotel

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!