“If mutton is dressed as lamb, its still mutton, The Royal is mutton.”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Durham, United Kingdom
“If mutton is dressed as lamb, its still mutton, The Royal is mutton.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Bridge of Allan is lovely and driving into the car park I had high hopes, in fact I thought I'd got a bargain. However checked in and realised this hotel is a mixture of old fittings, (some good, most not) and tarted up bits. The bar looked like an eighties wine bar, it was awful, the service was soooo slow. There was a pensioner who asked a glass of wine and 2 pints and it took about 15 minutes. He got so frustrated I was concerned for his health. I ordered a pint and a burger and again it took ages to arrive. The TV in the bar got switched off at 7pm. I asked for it to be switched on as I was the only person in the bar at this stage and the reply was "I'll have to ask". Now I'm no fan of TV's in bars if there is atmosphere and good crack, but I was on my own and once the TV went off the room was like a morgue. My room was at the back and side overlooking a tatty building with broken downpipes and looked like it could fall down. The rooms on the other side have better views. The room was actually ok and the bathroom was good. The Lift is the ancient type with 2 doors to close and oak panelling. It was quaint but tiny. It did work and was one of the good touches. The breakfast was ok, nothing special, it could have come from Tesco's cafe.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Wob64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Royal Hotel for 2 nights at the weekend, on a dinner, bed & breakfast deal. Noticed some rather negative reviews before we booked, but chose to ignore them. And we're so glad we did! Received a very warm friendly welcome from Peter, the General Manager, and got checked into our room earlier than expected. Room 33 on the top floor - not the biggest room we've ever stayed in, but it was everything we needed (and nice and quiet, as at the back of hotel). We booked a table in the bar for dinner, rather than the restaurant, as we wanted to watch the football. Staff were very obliging in putting this on for us. 3 course dinner included in our deal - we weren't disappointed by the menu. Great selection, good portion sizes and the food was faultless. Staff, who were clearly busy (especially the 2nd night when there was a private function on) were always friendly, efficient and helpful. We've stayed in a lot of hotels, and have to say the staff here are some of the nicest we have met. Breakfast was great, again plenty to chose from. I'm not quite sure why this hotel isn't getting better reviews - we certainly found nothing to complain about during our stay, and will definitely return for another stay soon. Thanks to Peter and all his staff for making us feel so welcome and for the great service you provided.

Room Tip: Our room at the back of hotel was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fiona m
Leicester
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Bridge of Allan is typical small Scottish town with bags of history & character, as to does the Royal Hotel. Situated on the main road running through the town it is well placed for both amenities and easily accessable. With ample off road parking,a decent restaurant,free wifi, and good sized rooms the hotel ticks all the boxes. Pleasant staff, clean and well serviced rooms make the Royal an ideal spot to explore the delights of Stirling and the surrounding area and the must see Wallace monument.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank wigstonfox
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Gruesome stay , which included hotel removing our possesions from the room and taking to partner hotel due to "operational reasons". Payment in advance meant no room for negotiation. Cannot express well enough the poor state of hotel, surly staff, urgent repairs needed to structure. We are taking action to recover monies. AVOID.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank siobhan m

Travellers are raving about these Bridge of Allan hotels

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got a great deal for 2 nights DBB and I have to say that we had a really good time. The food was fantastic and the portions extremely generous. The staff very friendly and efficient and our room was clean and comfortable but we were a bit disappointed with the bathroom. The hotel seemed to be going through a bit of refurbishment but this didn't have any impact on our stay. Bridge of Allan itself is a lovely wee town with lots of nice shops, cafes and bars. Really enjoyed our short break here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HJdd1
Scotland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I received a voucher for my birthday to stay at The Royal Hotel in Bridge of Allan from my parents, which was booked via Amazon. The deal was for 1 night, dinner, bed and breakfast.

On the morning of the arrival, I received a phone call from the hotel stating that due to operational issues, I was being moved to their sister hotel, The Royal Ivy Hotel, which was situated 300 yards down the road. As this was our last mini break before the birth of my child, I didn't mind and happily accepted the move.

When we arrived at the hotel, a lovely lady checked us in and directed us to our bedroom. Upon walking through the corridors it appeared that part of the hotel had been recently updated and re-decorated, however we appeared to be in part of the building where the decoration was very out dated. Tiles were cracked, the decor was out dated and i could see damp patches on the ceilings’.

In our bedroom, the room seemed nice enough, again a bit out dates but fine for a 1 night stay. However, the bathroom was very small. You could just squeeze in and shut the door and no more. My husband used the shower in the morning and he is a pretty slim man, however he felt extremely enclosed and claustrophobic in the shower. The toilet didn't flush properly. You had to push the handle a couple of times to get it going.

The overall issue for me was the heat. I know in Scotland, normally our weather is pretty rubbish, however it happened to be a hot day and night. There was no air con in the room. Our room was on the 1st floor and when you opened the bedroom window, it backed straight out onto the roof of the ground floor building and if you looked round, the side of the building, it looked like you could basically jump out the window, walk across the roof and down the side of the garden. This being the case, we didn't feel safe leaving the window open all night. Me being 8 months pregnant, this caused a slight issue.

The staff at the hotel were extremely professional and friendly and the food was very good. We did have to go to The Royal Hotel for our evening dinner, but it was worth the short walk along the road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booking with a NON Returnable Deposit was a new one on me, understandable in a time of need
but I thought that trusting customers was first & foremost even when booking with a credit card. Room was rather cramped but I could jamb the window open with a roll of paper to get some fresh air. This room has curtains.
The very large bathroom only had opaque glass, no blinds or curtains, the WC was next to the window. A nice bit of layout. TV was not much use, bad signal .
No main light in room, illumination was from two bedside lamps with dark brown shades which were next to useless regardless of what you were doing. (Ikea).
We had a water show in the bathroom when the bit of cardboard came off the ball valve inside the cistern.

The room we were moved to after the small flood was very nice and went well with the complimentary bottle of wine. TV was just as bad.
This room had a main light but the bedside lamps were the same rubbish as the first room.
Both rooms had the strangest light switch arrangement I have ever seen in any hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world. This room has blinds, no curtains.
The view from the new room was better, we could see the main street as opposed to the carpark but I preferred the carpark as the noise from the main street was really loud.
All the window were original 1900's with single glazing and no kind of soundproofing.

The staff were very good and we had no problems except on arrival where a couple had booked at another hotel and the receptionist took a long time to sort it out for them while a line developed
for everybody else. Not her fault as she was on her own to deal with the whole reception area.
This has the potential to be a great hotel, a good up to date refurbishment would make all the difference. Doubling of the staff and real training would really bring it into the21st century.

Room Tip: Not room 7 or 2
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 20 in Stirling

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!