“Excellent Decor, Disappointing Food!!”
Review of The Fintry Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fintry
The Fintry Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Fintry B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent Decor, Disappointing Food!!”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

A friend and I visited the Fintry Inn for a meal on the evening of Sunday 15th December 2013.

We both had the haggis and black pudding starter, which was ok but only luke warm.

For his main course my friend had macaroni cheese, which was very heavy, sticky, bland and unappetising, and only warm rather than hot. Some sort of herbs or spices seemed to have been sprinkled on top of the macaroni, presumably to give it a bit of taste, but only succeeded in making it less palatable than it already was.

For my main course I chose the steak and ale pie, which sounded really delicious on the menu, but was very disappointing when it arrived. I was expecting a pastry pie filled with chunks of meat and gravy. What I got was something like a Cornish pastie filled with shredded meat of some description and no gravy. When I asked for some gravy to moisten things up a bit I was presented with a jug of thin watery chicken stock because the chef didn't have any beef gravy and presumably didn't know how to make some.

I gave up when it came to ordering a sweet, but my friend tried the banana fritters which were nothing startling, rather dry and uninteresting with one scoop of cheap tasting ice cream.

A lot of money must have been spent refurbishing the restaurant at the Fintry Inn because it's now a really attractive room compared to how it was before. The food however leaves a lot to be desired judging from what we experienced during our visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leonardo217
Finnc0, Manager at The Fintry Inn, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Sorry to hear that your were disappointed with your meal during your recent visit to The Fintry Inn. We do not make a habit of serving luke warm food and we would have rectified this immediately if we had known at the time. The Chef is always more than happy to discuss with you any concerns you may have. Both the Macaroni cheese and Steak and ale are homemade and have, due to popular demand, become staple menu items. With regards to the ice cream tasting cheap, it is unclear what you mean by this comment. The Ice Cream was from our local suppliers who have won numerous National awards from their ice cream and diary products. We will pass your comments on for their consideration.

We do try our best to provide good food and service to all our customers, it is disappointing for us that did not meet your expectations this time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

visited this pub a couple of times,first time for dinner and it was very good,i had read a few reviews saying the food was disappointing but i really could not fault it,i had the burger and chips,it was all home made (apart for the bun) and my wife had the venison pie,again homemade and very good.The second time was the next night,we went in for a quick drink after we had been for a drive to find a takeaway,we did'nt find a takeaway(we went to kippen and the takeaway is in balfron) i asked a couple of the locals where the nearest takeaway was and was told its in balfron but they will deliver it to the pub ! result ! so one of the guys phoned it for me and it was delivered in about 35/40 mins (also very good) both time i've been to this pub i've found the staff and the locals very friendly and helpful and i would recommend it to anyone.i should also mention that on a wednesday(the night we went for dinner) and a sunday a few of the locals bring in their guitars etc and have a singsong (9 of them on wednesday) everybody can join in and its a nice wee change from the jukebox.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Finnc0, Manager at The Fintry Inn, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We the major part of the restaurant refurbishment out of the way we can now start to expand our offering again. We hope to try and expand on the Sunday afternoon music sessions in the spring and provide an opportunity for youngers to come along and join in.
Glasgow
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I have ate in this cracking little pub twice over the last couple of months and we were delighted with the food and service on both occasions. We both had ham hock on the first occasion and it was delicious and on our second trip I had the burger and it has to be said, one of the best burgers I have ever tasted. The food is all home made, good sized portions and not over priced. To be honest I haven't managed to try the desserts as I was too full on both occasions from the main course. Will definintely be back to try. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

On top of this they have a guest ale on every month.

Yes they are going through a refurbishment but I have been advised that its nearly finished and to be honest I wouldn't let that put you off anyway.

Definitely worth a visit

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glasgow910
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were staying in Culcrech Castle, and saw this little Pub, so we decided to pop in for lunch one afternoon. It’s your average village pub, but I was expecting the food to be of better standard. My partner has Macaroni Cheese and chips…. Macaroni was a tad bland and the skinny chips were ok….. I had the Fish and Chips…. And the battered fish looked like it was bought in frozen, and the chunky chips were fine. But it was nothing spectacular. I was hoping to have come across a lovely ‘home cooked’ style pub.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Finnc0, Manager at The Fintry Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. With regards to the food. it is all home cooked and we are sorry that the Macaroni was not to your taste. Regarding the Fish and Chips, we can assure you that the fish is NOT frozen and the beer batter is made freshly on site - ask they will show you next time you happen to be passing.

We are aiming to provide a traditional pub dinning experience and are sorry that it wasn't spectacular for you. As you were probably aware we are also in the process of refurbishing the Inn so hopefully next year we will be more than just your average pub.

The Fintry Inn Collective
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My partner and I stayed here years back, as it was the first hotel we shared we thought it would b nice to visit somewhere that was special to us, we returned in July 2013. We called to book the room, we wer told it was fully booked. Within a few min they called us back saying they made a mistake and it was available. We asked if they had wifi as my partner would have some work to do in the evening we were told yes they do. We wer both really looking forward to a shirt break in a place that meant so much to us. On arriving while waiting for our room keys we ordered lunch. We both had soup which was lovely. My partner had fish as his main course, basic but ok. I had macaroni which looked and tasted a lot like a tin. The waitress came to clear our plates asked if we enjoyed our meal but could see my plate was untouched, I said no not really and she laughed. No more was said, our bill was almost £30. We were shown to our room "the garden flat" on way upstairs a strong smell of dampness met us. We asked what time the bar started selling breakfast only to be told they didn't, but wer shown a two ring hot plate that we were welcome to use. The living area had a table & chairs, a cloth grey sofa, a brown leather arm chair and a floral material chair. Floral curtains, No tv. A notice telling us if we smoke to open the fire exit and stand in the garden, on opening the door the weeds and nettles were waist high. Nothing really seperated us from houses back gardens where many young children were playing only a few feet away. Our view was a very unkept back yard. Our mattress in the bed was rediculously poor quality, very thin, we could feel the bed frame under us, no head board either therefor the pillows would fall between the wall and bed. All in all it looked and smelt like an old folks home. We went out for the day as we could not sit in this, we spent our day in a local caravan site which was lovely were we had a proper meal at much more reasonable quality and value. On returning in the evening my partner settled town to start his work only to find there was no wifi, we called the management who said the wifi is in the bar only, we should av been told this when we asked on booking. There wasn't even as much as a complimentary tea bag or sugar, after paying £60 for the overnight stay I thought this was poor. We wer offered a refund which we gladly accepted and found alternative accommodation in the Garfield hotel in steps for the sane price which was a fare drive and it was 9pm. Really dissapointing as this was such a special place for us.

• Stayed July 2013
Finnc0, Manager at The Fintry Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
We are very sorry that your recent visit to the Fintry Inn did not live up to your expectations especially as you mention that it was previously somewhere special for you. The pub is currently undergoing some much needed refurbishment and upgrading work and this was made apparent to you on time of booking. There has never been WiFi in any of the self-catering flats or B&B rooms only in the common bar and restaurant area. We will look into addressing the WiFi coverage issue as part of the upgrade work we are carrying out.
We are sorry that the meal and in particular the macaroni was not to your likely. However, just to clarify all our food down to the tomato ketchup is homemade, prepared to order, and is extremely reasonably priced. We can also assure you it is NOT ‘out of a tin’. We take great pride in using local produce and also our food preparation. We also tailor of menu according to the dietary requirements of our individual customers. If you had asked the chef, they would have gladly discussed or shown you first-hand how the food is prepared.
With regards to the accommodation provided this has for the last 5-6 years prior to The Fintry Inn Collective taking over the management been largely self-catering with only a continental style breakfast provided in–room. This was made clear to you on booking. We apologize that the accommodation was not up to your expectations. The accommodation provided is clean and well maintained but we would agree with you that the lack of a TV and in particular the ‘floral curtains’ mean that it is bit dated and in need of some modernisation. However we feel that this is reflected in the price which was £30 per person for the entire flat not just a room.
Just for clarification, you stayed in the ‘Garden Flat’ which is no smoking flat and the fire exit is for emergency use only. The Garden Flat overlooks neighbouring gardens and premises and we cannot take responsibility for what individuals do or how they maintain their own backyards. However we appreciate that this may impact on the quality of stay for our guest still and hence we will see what we can do to improve this situation for the future.
As you are aware the Fintry Inn has been in the village since 1750 there was a real risk of losing the pub from the village that is why The Fintry Inn Collective decided to take it over. We are dedicated to maintaining and developing the Fintry Inn as a traditional village pub. Since taking over the premises we have already made some huge improvements and have also received a lot of very positive feed-back particularly with regards to the menu and food we provide. However we realise that we may not always meet everyone’s expectations we always welcome constructive criticism in order to help us improve the Fintry Inn offering.
Just to reiterate, we are very sorry that your visit to the Fintry Inn did not meet your expectations perhaps when the upgrading work is complete you will consider trying us again in the future.
Yours Sincerely

The Fintry Inn Collective
Falkirk
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We didn't stay here, but went on Father's Day for lunch (4 adults & 4 kids). There was so much to choose from and everything was absolutely brilliant. Very particular on the presentation, some special sides and melt in your mouth mains. Delicious desserts too. Can't rate it high enough and look forward to going back.

What a find!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Called here for a couple of meals whilst staying nearby. Excellent home cooked food, sourced locally. The staff were very helpful nothing was too much trouble. I have to stick to a special diet (gluten and dairy free) and for the first time I could have a really good choice of meals that suited me. There was plenty to eat and the food was delicious. If I come this way again I will definately stop here for a meal.The meals were reasonably priced too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Suem1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fintry
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
#2 of 2 in Kippen
Finglen House Bed & Breakfast
Finglen House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Campsie Glen

Been to The Fintry Inn? Share your experiences!