“Country drive”

and 1 more site!
Culcreuch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fintry
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Great food - a bit of a drive from the southside of Glasgow but once you get there you forget all about that. After eating our meals we had a little look around grounds which we lovely. Would recommend the food to all our friends and are plaining a trip back again in august to try their formal dinner menu. :-) 8/10

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Donna M
There are newer reviews for Culcreuch Castle Hotel

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

After having a wonderful time 5 years ago at my nieces wedding,My husband and myself (we live locally) decided to have a meal there last night,on the way to visiting my sister in Kippen. I'm afraid standards in the food have dropped dramatically, We decided to have starters and main course from the specials menu. My husband had melon and prawns ,I had mushrooms, The mushrooms were cold,The main course was sirloin of beef,also cold,and was very bland in taste. Our intention was to go to the Lion and unicorn in Thornhill,on reflection wish we had, far superior food.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Donnyandmoira
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Visited last weekend for dinner. Lovely drive over the campsies into Fintry on a pleasant summer evening. Hadn't eaten here for a number of years, and to be honest, last few times, despite the beautiful setting, the food was a little too pubby for my taste. Well, not on this visit. The setting as stunning as ever, but the food was excellent! My dining companion and I both had fish as a main course. Both cooked perfectly and reasonably priced and desserts to die for: summer fruits with custard and meringue and a sticky toffee pudding. 2 people, 2 courses with soft drinks and a glass of wine followed by coffees for £50. Quite satisfied with that and will definitely return again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank djw0105
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here on 11th April 2014. I loved every moment of it. We were treated to a superb afternoon tea and glass of bubbly upon arrival by a kind member of staff. We can't remember her name (sorry!) but she let us have a peek in the wallpaper room as no guests were staying. We dined in the dungeons that night and we're thoroughly pleased with the Chefs creations! Our room was the beautiful Barons Suite on the top floor. It was truly a great stay and so peaceful at night. We would like to thank you all for the great memories and we will be back soon.

Room Tip: The Barons Suite is stunning!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RosyT1313
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful setting and gardens...
Food is mediocre.. im being kind.
They do have some nice draught beer, though a little pricey...considering the points I make.
Service indiferent.
Looks like it needs a good deep clean and freshen up with a bit of paint.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank cabbi01
lairdielardie, General Manager at Culcreuch Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

It is only my opinion, but I think the lady doth protest too much and incorrectly. I would only ask readers to look at our ratings for service, cleanliness and value from the other 195 reviewers!
I am sorry you did not like my castle, but no need to call for my head on a plate.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I stayed in Culcreuch Castle last night, 13 June, and were more then a little disappointed. That said, the stay wasn’t a complete disaster, so here is the good, the bad, and the ugly of our stay. First, let me say the food in both the Dungeon Bar and the Dining Room was outstanding. Our evening meal included glazed Highland beef and I don’t think I’ve had a cut of beef so tender! The Full Scottish Breakfast was also tasty and abundant. In addition to the dining, the staff was friendly and helpful. The public areas of the castle are in fairly good shape and with a little imagination you can envision life in the castle as it once was. Also, I should mention that the grounds are beautiful.

Now the bad; although most of staff was great, one member decided that it was appropriate to cut me off while I was discussing our reservation with another staff member. Furthermore, the rude staff member was not interjecting into our conversation, she simply wanted to say something to a peer before leaving the castle. No excuse me, no pardon me; she just cut me off and started her own conversation. This is a big pet peeve of mine and left me feeling as though I was not a valued customer. However, as I’ve said, most of the staff was great. As another poster, Mistat2000, has stated, the castle has “a mix of cheap furniture and the most random collection of kitsch trinkets”; I couldn’t agree more! Having stayed in castles in both Ireland and Scotland, I have become accustomed to the owners/managers decorating with an eye to a certain period or an attempt to tell the story behind the castle, its former owners, or the area in general. Such artifacts are rare at Culcreuch. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the pictures I saw were non-descript, in poor condition, and had nothing to do with the castle. The quality of the majority of the furniture is very poor and seems to have been found at a garage sale, not to mention that little of the furniture we saw adds to the castle’s historic relevance.

As stated above, many of the public spaces are in good shape, but details are everything and we found the workmanship in these areas to be of poor quality. For example, in bathrooms, including the one in our room, gaps remain between tile/linoleum and the walls, and the cocking was amateurish. I fully realize how difficult it must be to maintain a 500-year-old building, but that is why you hire professionals; Culcreuch should start doing so.

Finally, the ugly. When entering our room, which was Room 1 “the Chinese Bird” room, we were immediately struck be how run down the room was. The staff member who took us to the room explained that due to the wallpaper being 400 years old, they were not allowed to renovate the room. I found this statement very baffling as I have been in castles with many objects of similar age that had clearly benefited from recent work. Simply touching up the crown molding and other paintable surfaces would have done wonders for the room. In addition to staying in a room that felt like staying in a ghetto, the bed was simply the hardest surface I’ve slept on. Believe me, after travelling to 26 different countries and staying in everything from 5 star hotels to youth hostels, this bed was the worst! This was reported to staff upon leaving.

Clearly, staying at Culcreuch was not the highlight of what was otherwise a great Scottish vacation. Frankly, had we not pre-paid as part of a pre-arranged vacation, we would have left. Here’s hoping the owners/managers of the castle take the steps to correct these issues before the castle deteriorates further.

Room Tip: Ask to see the Chinese Bird Room, but don't even think about sleeping there.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rogerl251

Thank you for your kind words about the food which I have passed onto Chef.
As they say one man's treasure is another man's junk. Most of the furnishings in the Castle are antique and have been in the castle for a lot of years passed on from the previous owners. In fact all the furniture & ornaments in the Chinese Bird room are over 200 years old. The painting & pictures are in the main related to the castle either portraits of previous residents or gathered over the years. If the staff member said it could not be touched then they misinformed you. The room is as far as we know the only complete room in Scotland with hand painted wallpaper and as such has a preservation order on it. The fact is unlike many other castles hich are owned by Historic Scotland or National Trust we are not so we do not get the funds afforded to these places to renovate. As a small family business we cannot afford to carry this out, nor because of the order can we alter, paper over or indeed paint over it. The crown mouldings are part of the order as well. As in all these things nowadays everyone thinks because they can put things up on the internet they are experts on everything even though they do not pocess the facts to form that opinion.
It is strange you say in all the bathrooms - were you wandering into everyone's rooms while you were her?
Indeed the bathroom in your room was not up to scratch - that's the last time we bring someone in! My maintenance guy has finished the room and we will change the matress. Thank you for the relevant comments which as always we are more than happy to address.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in the Napier Suite and it was fantastic.
On arrival we went to the dungeon bar and explained to the assistant that we had booked in for afternoon tea, however we arrived over an hour earlier than expected. She was very accommodating and asked if we would like our tea now, checked with the chef and were taken to a table. The afternoon tea was delish and very pretty to look at.
We then checked into our room and it was beautiful. Lovely views out over the front of the castle and a great sized room and en-suite, with separate shower and corner bath.
Our evening meal was also tasty and the whole feel of the place was great.
The following morning we were discussing the cabins at the back of the castle we had discovered yesterday on our walk round the grounds, the receptionist kindly gave us a key to have a look round them also. Again, clean tidy and a great location.
We will be back again as left feeling very relaxed and enjoyed staying in a castle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LyndsBooth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fintry
South Side
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
#4 of 93 in Glasgow
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre
Broomhall Castle
#1 of 1 in Menstrie

Been to Culcreuch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!