“Traveling Hopefully!”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

After traveling hopefully like my husband and I love to do we stopped at The Cross Keys for a bite. I myself don't eat beef so seeing a venison burger on the menu was exciting and it did not disappoint!!! Perfectly cooked! Not gamey! Delicious! Best burger and fries Ive ever had in Scotland ( I've lived here ten years! ) My husband had the steak pie and was as equally satisfied! 5 * all around! Service was friendly and efficient! We will definitely return!!! In fact we are plotting and overnight stay!

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (211)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have had lovely meals and excellent service here in the past so on a sunny day in July we made a last minute booking and drove out to Kippen. There were a few people sitting at tables in front of the Inn but we chose to sit in the beer garden at the back as it was less breezy. We were the only ones there. Despite plenty of time over lockdown to make improvements and tidy up the beer garden was in need of refurbishment and some TLC. There were rusting lanterns on the wall, the grass needed cutting, there were weeds and it was generally neglected. For a sunny summer lunchtime the menu was rather ‘heavy’ but some reasonable choices. The fish and chips were good if nothing special but the BBQ aubergine was a mixed bag. It was listed with grilled asparagus which was the reason for my choice but when the dish arrived there was no asparagus. I did enquire but was told that they had run out. Perhaps they could have let me know before my meal was delivered so I could have changed my mind? For £14 a slice of BBQ aubergine, though well spiced and tasty, seemed expensive. The asparagus was missing but there was a good herby mashed potato and some broccoli and carrot. The vegetable jus was a red tasteless watery liquid which added nothing to the dish. Service was friendly but no one checked on our meals or offered more drinks. Hopefully things will improve as we have had better food and service here but on our experience on this occasion we won’t be rushing back.

Date of visit: July 2021
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a fantastic meal at the Cross Keys in Kippen. The staff were really friendly, the restaurant had great character and the atmosphere was fantastic. We all really enjoyed our food ordering both main courses and desserts. Three of us ordered the steak pie which was delicious and really loved the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert. Will definitely be returning if we are ever back in Kippen and would 100% recommend to anyone travelling to the area.

Date of visit: August 2021
2  Thank I4719EOrachelh
Reviewed 26 June 2021 via mobile

We had a fantastic lunch at the Cross Keys. The food and service was excellent. Lovely exterior sitting area in the rear garden. Looking forward to our next visit.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 4 October 2020 via mobile

Visited on a trip north in 2017. In the area again in September 2020 and came back, and it’s still fantastic
Wonderful food and beer (get a pint if the 1703). Super dog friendly too!

Date of visit: October 2020