“A great find on our favourite island”
Review of Bowmore Hotel

Bowmore Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Bowmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have been coming to Islay since 1997 but- more fool us- we had never found this particular inn before. We happened on the place at lunchtime and were taken by the friendly atmosphere- both locals and barman.
The newly refurbished bar had stunning woodwork and we were very impressed by the décor which the barman was justifiably proud of.
We both gave the black pudding toastie a try and though the wait was a little long, we found it delicious, with really good salad and excellent chips.
We are looking forward to a return visit and will be giving the restaurant a try next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We recently visited Lucci's again - we have had the pleasure of eating there on numerous previous occasions, however, the outer appearance belies the interior and what a transformation from the last time we visited. The quality of the furnishings is definitely A rated. Well done Peter. We as usual we were more than pleased with the menu, always varied always top quality and the service excellent. Peter was at his best with his welcoming friendly approach The food was quite superb ... and we had to own up to being full after our main course. But we did manage to squeeze in a dessert which was delicious. This is all due to the skills of the chef and his team. It is certainly one of Islay's Jewels. So thanks to you all and it will be our pleasure to return next time we visit. Again Peter the pleasure was all ours.

Norrie and Liz Good (Bearsden)

Room Tip: As we have our own accommodation in Islay we do not require rooms but I am sure they will be of the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lizgood
Reviewed 17 October 2013

What a find ... from the outside this hotel looks uninteresting, but what a revelation when you walk over the door ... wonderful!

The reception from Peter, the owner, is friendly, warm and welcoming as are the rest of the staff who served us.

The food was quite superb ... fish and chicken goujons were both superb and the presentation was a work of edible art and tasted second-to-non. All thanks for the food go to Jan, the Chef.

The hotel is being refurbished with the most wonderful woodwork and I look forward to my future visits to this "Jewel of Islay".

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
lindalucci, Owner at Bowmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you like what we are doing. The rooms will be next, next year.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Bowmore Hotel is one of the best hotels on the Hebridean island of Islay the owner Peter is a big character. The staff could not be more friendly and are very knowledgeable about all the different malt whiskey's made on the Isle.the rooms are very comfortable and bright, and the food is second to none,amazing the largest menu I have sampled.I very much recommend the Bowmore for a restful holiday and whiskey tasting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catherine280160
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here for a whisky tasting weekend for my stag-do 10th Aug. Really friendly staff, who made you feel very welcome. The breakfasts were made with the finest quality ingredients. Had dinner + a cooked breakfast, and I'd safely say it was the finest I'd had in any bar \ hotel.

Really nice decor in the dining room and bar areas, with some of my favourite whiskies in display cabinets.

The owners + staff were really helpful, and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

Nice firm mattress + big fluffy pillows in the room.

I'd most certainly like to come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank MrFerguson2013
lindalucci, Owner at Bowmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Hi, really glad you enjoyed your stag do. You were a good crowd. Hope to see you sometime again. Linda

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We did not stay at the hotel, but ate in the recently refurbished restaurant on 4 consecutive evenings during a recent holiday on Islay, and could not fault it. The menu was extensive, the home-cooked food was delicious (and reasonably priced) and the staff were friendly and attentive. Would not hesitate to recommend and it will definitely be our first choice for eating out if we return to Islay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I would avoid this place at all costs. I tried to book for dinner several times during a recent visit and was told the restaurant was full!! It would appear this was not the case and it would be a face fitting place and if they can be bothered serving you! Plenty of other places to eat on Islay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Scott S
lindalucci, Owner at Bowmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

I am sorry you were unable to get a booking at the hotel. We do not have a large staff and therefore can only feed a limited number of people. We have to feed the people staying at the hotel and the cottages as well. Bookings are taken on a first come first served basis and then if we have space we can take someone who has come in on spec but I would not take a booking if I was not sure I could cope. I am sorry this was a problem for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowmore
Islay House
No.1 Charlotte Street
No.1 Charlotte Street
#16 of 17 in Port Ellen
Dha Urlar Bed and Breakfast

Been to Bowmore Hotel? Share your experiences!