All reviewswent above and beyondbowmore hotelbed was comfortableferguscharleshostbreakfastislaybathisleensuite
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We arrived early evening to be shown our double?room on the ground floor.This room was cramped without sufficient room to pass each other. No room for a chair, so nowhere to sit. No where to put a suitcase.
The host was friendly though.
Hospitality tray was made up on the window sill but had a poor selection, although we were offered fresh milk which was appreciated.
The sliding door to the ensuite came off its runners which we fixed our selves.
Shower was adequate and the bed was comfortable.
Further disappointment was the dinning room, which housed a single table to seat 8 people, cramped conditions and no privacy.
The food was good enough at breakfast and was given square sausage on morning two, which was very kind.
To summarise, poor value for a cramped bedroom and inadequate breakfast facilities.
We will not return

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely b&b next to the Bowmore Hotel and Distillery. Visited with my four friends for two nights to browse distilliries around Islay. The owners are very friendly even though we were naughty :) Good breakfast as well!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2017

As a professional coach driver, I was unfortunately booked into here for 3 nights. On the first night, my group arrived on the island on the 18.00 sailing which docked around 15 mins late at 20.25. After dropping the guest off at Port Charlotte, I had a 20 minute drive back to Bowmore and the chances of being able to get a meal that night was remote. I called the guest house to ask if I could purchase a ready meal from the local co-op, could they zap it in the micro and was told yes. When I arrived however, one of the hosts Charles, complained it would take too long to cook....a whole 9 minutes, but it was done. When ready, I asked if I could get an an iron and ironing board to get a shirt ready for the morning, to be shouted at saying' for Christ's sake, it's 10 o'clock. Not my fault as they were obviously aware of the ferry times.

The spiral type staircase was steep and hard to monoevre with a large suitcase. Definitely not suitable for the elderly or anyone a with mobility issues.

Upon entering the room, the decor matched the hall entrance, dated and tired. The double bed, although comfortable enough barely gave 18 inches space between walls.

The following morning, I entered the so called breakfast room, a small area, cluttered with old fashioned furniture and various paraphernalia and one centre table which 8 adults were expected to sit at. Not only was it cramped, it also proved to be uncomfortable for all who sat there, not only space wise but in nature. No privacy here for anyone wishing to eat in a quiet setting. The food however was of a reasonably good standard. I had a day off the next day, but chose to skip breakfast as it was an easier option. On the final morning, I did eat, but the quality was off a lesser standard. So what was the best thing about my stay?.... definitely leaving without a doubt.

The room had been paid for on my behalf but at £270 ( £90 per night) could I ever recommend it?....simple answer no.....was it worth the money?... absolutely not.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2017

What a wonderful B&B. Charles and Fergus are gracious hosts, and great cooks to boot. Charles even helped us air up a low tire when we arrived. Walkable to everything in Bowmore, right across the street from Bowmore Hotel for evening food and ales, and whisky! Highly recommended.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2017

An Cuan is a wonderful B&B which went above and beyond to provide a warm and welcoming environment. Fergus and Charles were very kind and friendly. The room was beautiful- very clean, cosy with lovely art works to enjoy. I fully recommend An Cuan for a lovely time in the Isle of Islay,

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business