“If you're on Islay and have a curry craving, you'll get your fix here”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #8 of 13 Restaurants in Bowmore
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 19 August 2017

There are many excellent places to eat on Islay; seafood restaurants everywhere, fish and chips a-plenty, plus cafés and bistros galore. But amongst all this excellent grub, sometimes (if you're like me), you just crave some spice. The Taj Mahal in Bowmore is the only Indian restaurant/takeaway on the island, so they have something of a monopoly on this sector of the market!

The exterior is rather unprepossessing and, if I'm being honest, the interior doesn't do much to correct that initial impression. Essentially this is a takeaway with a large empty space into which about eight tables have been inserted. The takeaway area is not separated from the dining area, so people are coming and going for takeaways and the phone is ringing regularly. Some separation would be nice.

Having been seated (the only diners on a Friday evening), we were shown the menu and brought drinks (two pints of rather flat of Diet Coke). Pickles and poppadums soon appeared, which were very nice.

We just had the one starter: a mixed kebab. I have eaten in countless Indian restaurants and ordered myriad takeaways over the years and almost invariably choose this as my starter; in all that time, this is the first one that has been served in a sauce. And a totally unnecessary, totally overpowering sauce it was, which completely spoiled the dish. It might suit some, but it certainly didn't suit me. What should have been a selection of grilled meat with mint sauce and salad became a tomatoey mess. Shame.

So, at this stage I was seriously unimpressed, and my hopes hadn't been too high to begin with ("so long as the food is decent, that'll be enough, as it's great that we can even get Indian food on Islay at all", so went my reasoning).

Then the main courses arrived, and I must say at this stage things changed markedly for the better: Chicken tikka bhuna, lamb jalfrezi, mushroom pilau rice, mutter paneer, plain nan and peshwari nan was our order. The nans were fluffy and freshly cooked (obviously in a tandoor, not just bought frozen and heated up), the curries were excellent, spicy and tasty, the meat tender, the portions very generous indeed.

So, a game of two halves, really. I did finish the meal feeling I'd had pretty decent takeaway food, which is all I'd hoped for. Not first class, not Michelin star, but perfectly adequate.

After the starter, I would have given no more than 2/5. After the main course, I might have stretched to 4/5. However, the final bill at £50 was too steep, notwithstanding that this is on Islay and so the cost of bringing in the food is clearly going to be more expensive than it is for an establishment on, say, Stratford Road in Birmingham. However, £50 will buy you a cracking seafood platter for two in any of half a dozen restaurants nearby, so they still have to remain competitive.

As I said, if you're here for a week and desperately crave a change from the usual fayre, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just don't hope for too much!

1  Thank simewiz

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

We were looking for an alternative to chips. Since the Chinese in town is just a take away and run by Non-Chinese we decided to go for Indian. The restaurant said in big letters "restaurant & take away". It would be better off just saying take away only. The decor was non-existent. The tables just had some paper table cloths. There were no drinks other than soft drinks. The food came quick, the taste was ok but not great. Even the chicken tikka masala was not truly all that good. The restaurant does not take credit cards and the waiter was not very friendly either. In fact as he was serving the food, the phone rang. And answering the phone was more important to him than finishing the task at hand. Quite disappointing but the only Indian in town, in fact, the only one on Islay it appears.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

This was very quiet when visited on a late evening. It was still open where as many other establishments had closed. The owner quickly prepared what we needed for a take-away and the food turned out to be fairly good. He even offered us some free treats as we waited for the main course. Not bad at all.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Food good and good portions. Very tasty meals with plenty of meat and a good pickle tray with lots of poppadoms and good pickle tray. Service was friendly and quick. Good value for money.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Was staying in B & B in bridgeend but working in Bowmore so popped in here for a carry out. Excellent. Sat in a layby next to a Loch eating this scrumptious food. Aim to pop back in when next over in a couple of weeks. Highly recommended.