“Old school curry house”

Taj Mahal
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Bowmore
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed a meal at this old school curry house.

The gentleman who runs the restaurant with his son is incredibly friendly and nice. We received a lovely welcome, and sat and enjoyed one of the nicest curries we have had in a long time.

The tandoori chicken came on a sizzling plate and had great flavours. The Madras was spicy and hot like old school madras curries used to be.

The decor is not fancy, but anyone who remembers how curry houses used to be will be taken back in time and charmed.

The pricing was fair, the owners welcoming and friendly and the food superb.

All in I would absolutely recommend the Taj Mahal to anyone staying in Bowmore or on Islay generally.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

First off, the menu had many regional specialties to choose from. We had two dishes we hadn’t tried before, and both were delicious. The portions are generous as well.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

This is, without a doubt, the best Indian food I have ever eaten. We would have never expected Islay to have such an incredible Indian restaurant. The food was incredible. The staff is excellent. The chef, who has 45 years experience, came out to recommend dishes for us. We ate there 2 nights in a row! Ingredibly good.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

I love Indian food and I eat it at least once a month. I’ve also eaten Indian food all over Canada and the US and in Europe. We came to Bowmore on the Isle of Islay and spent 3 nights there and ate at the Taj Mahal twice. This is honestly the tastiest, freshest, Indian food I’ve ever had. When the chef comes out to recommend what you should have to eat in any restaurant, you know you have stumbled on something special! To anyone spending a few days in the area (we were there for a scotch tour), you have to eat there!

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

I have travelled to many places in the world and eaten Indian food in many places...and I shock even myself when I say that I think this (in tiny Islay) is the best Indian food I have ever had. So fresh and tasty. It is very small so if you arrive when they are busy you cannot fault them for taking their time. This restaurant seems like a family labour of love. Everything is made from scratch and that takes time. Relax. Breathe in the fresh Islay salt air. Be patient. It will be worth it. Coming to Islay without eating at this place is like coming here and not trying the whiskey.