All reviewsbowmore distillerytop flooryogurtstayed here for nightshighly recommend this b bcomfortable staywalking distancefull scottish breakfasttwin roomrooms are spaciouscentral locationmade us feelbreakfast rooma great staywarm welcomeduncanhost
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights. Our landlady kindly added an extra bed for our son when my husbands plans changed and he was able to join us at short notice. This is a very comfortable, clean, modern B&B. Breakfasts were great and the hosts very friendly. Also a great location, based in Bowmore, to explore the whole island. Highly recommend it!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 9 September 2017

Hi Susan. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such an excellent review. So glad you enjoyed your stay on Islay. It was a pleasure having your family to stay and would welcome you back anytime. Kind regards Fiona

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Booked 2 nights here to explore Islay for the first time. Arrived later than planned but were greeted pleasantly with our host Fiona. The Island Bear has under gone a refurbishment and its of a high standard and very comfortable. We had a room in the roof which I must admit, did cause me to bump my head a few times. Breakfast was good and served with Stornaway black pudding, a favourite!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy R
Management response:Responded 9 September 2017

Thank you Tracy for taking the time to write such an excellent review. So glad you enjoyed your time on Islay. We would more than happy to welcome you back should you decide to visit Islay again. Kind regards Fiona

Reviewed 17 June 2017

Lovely place, comfortable rooms and fantastic breakfasts. I had a lovely stay, and would happily stay there again. Couple of minor points, I had to keep room window open as very warm and so you do get a lot of street noise, maybe the rooms on the second floor would be quieter? I also like choice of teas, but luckily I brought my own otherwise I had all I needed for a comfortable stay. Loved the bacon and sausage served at breakfast, a great Scottish breakfast, and our host was very attentive.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor or rear might be quieter
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irene L
Management response:Responded 6 July 2017

Hi Irene. Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We appreciate our guests comments and take them on board in order to make improvements and now offer a choice of teas.

We are sorry you found it too warm, however, it was turned on for an hour at the request of the other guests. However, as advised in the Welcome Book, each heater is thermostatically controlled and can be switched off in each room.

Should you make a return visit to Islay in the future, we would love to welcome you back. Kind Regards Fiona

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Went in Scotland at Islay with few pilot friends, and we slept 2 nights at Bear B&b. Fiona was really kind and cheaper than other b&b we visited at Bowmore. Moreover the rooms are all new and very comfy. Just the wifi is pretty slow, if you need to work...

I recommend

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 6 July 2017

Hi Nicolas - Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review. We are sorry about the Wifi but that is one of the downfalls of living on an island, we do not have Fibre Broadband, although we are told it is coming soon!!! Hopefully this will not put you off returning to our beautiful island in the future. Kind Regards Fiona

Reviewed 22 May 2017

My friend and I stayed at the Bear recently in a twin room. There was plenty of space for the two of us and the bathroom was huge with an actual bath; which was greatly appreciated after a 10 mile hike! The room was very clean and the breakfast area had plenty of space and was light and airy. Breakfast was absolutely amazing and nothing was too much trouble. Service was excellent and I would highly recommend this B&B to other travelers.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 23 May 2017

Hi Claire. Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review, it is much appreciated. We are so glad you and your friend enjoyed your stay and your time on Islay.

We would love to welcome you back to The Island Bear should you wish to return to Islay again.
Kind regards