“Best of Local Islay”
Review of Lochindaal Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Charlotte
Lochindaal Hotel
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Well, we didn't quite know what to expect, but we wanted to meet local residents, avoid the well healed crowd, and have a great time. We found it at the Lochindaal. In fact, we had a fabulous time. The accommodations and the food were great. We stayed in a detached, two bed room lodging that was clean, quiet, and very private. Willey, the manager was a fantastic chef and we were stuffed with the best food we ate in all of our Great Britain travels, including London and Edinburgh. The prawns were amazing. But best of all, we felt welcome, "at home", had a great time with the locals (who we met when they were at work in the distilleries). All good...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DonMim
LOCHINDAAL, Owner at Lochindaal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

We are delighted that DonMim enjoyed his stay with us, we were sorry to have missed you during your stay but we can see that Willie took great care of you and your friends.
Thank you for the lovely comments about the food, we will certainly pass these on to Willie.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you visit Islay.
Best wishes - Katie and Iain MacLellan

Reviewed 24 June 2011

I was sad to read the previous reviewers comments about the accommodation in this hotel, having stayed here before we found it comfy enough and the prices reflect what you get, you don't exactly pay a lot compared to the bigger hotels.
We had a lovely seafood dinner which I believe is one of their specialities, it was delicious and you get a lot of seafood!! (I couldn't eat all mine), impressive that it is all caught just hours before it is served.
I have met the owner a few times now, a very friendly accommodating man and he goes out of his way to make you feel important. and comfortable
It is unfortunate that others who come to stay at small family run hotels like this expect so much but as I have found out during my visits to Islay, mainland 'rules' don't apply. These islanders seemingly have to pay lots of money to get anything delivered and I understand the owner of this hotel has a disabled son, not an excuse I know but I wish reviewers would remember that a bad review can affect a business long term.
My only piece of advice to potential hotel goers is try the seafood dinner before you write a review!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank FionaLan1959
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We booked in here as the Port Cahrlotte Hotel down the road and all the B&Bs in the village appeared to be full. Our initial impression was one of shock at the en-suite rooms out back. As other reviewers have mentioned, the route there is frankly unpleasant - we took to navigating there via the dark alleyway in the evening rather than face the trip through pub and the ex-restaurant.

The rooms themselves desparately need a good deep clean and well aired, they were grubby and smelly and one of the windows was broken in an open position. The bed and shower were clean enough and we stayed - having no real alternative.

The breakfast was generous enough, if a little greasy, but served in the pub which is rather dismal first thing in the morning.

You can tell that the proprietors want to give you a warm welcome, but until the rooms are seriously cleaned, windows fixed and route to the rooms made less of an ordeal - I would seriously consider all other options before staying at the Lochindaal.

Sorry, this is my first posting on TripAdvisor and it grieves me that it is so negative - and about a property in my native land. I'm away now to post some more upbeat reviews

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank colinjoe6
LOCHINDAAL, Owner at Lochindaal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

I was sorry to read that 'Colinjoe6' had a far from enjoyable experience staying with us.
I can only apologise for the state of the rooms and take on board all of the comments.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Spent a great weekend at the lochindaal Hotel Ian,Willie and staff made us welcome from the start, good atmosphere and first class food! Look forward to my next visit!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank bairn1957
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed a group of friends over the weekend. The rooms are good and the food is great. The chef prepared a sensational Seafood platter for our big party night. Really delicious.
What makes this hotel stand out is the helpfulness, generousity and frienliness of the staff and the Owner. If you have a problem - any problem like fishing trip, distillery trip or whatever - they will solve it for you. Flexibility is a given. They will serve what you want when you want it. And everything is done with humor and a smile.
The pub is not clean in a classical sense, but it is fun.
We missed the bus going to the Airport. The owner took us by driving three times with lugage and friends. Do we need to say more?

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank Friendlydane
Reviewed 13 May 2010

What can I say? Do not stay at this hotel if you are looking for everything pristine organised and to be fussed over. If you are a fan of Fawlty Towers and enjoy local banter in a down to earth no frills place then this is a good place for you.
We just spent a weekend there. Yeah we had some bother getting our booking confirmed and no the barman had not a clue we were coming but hey we got led through the out building and up to our room and left to it. There was someone booked in to the next room to us but he never stayed and just drove off in the night without paying! No sense of adventure i guess. Breakfast was in the lounge bar no order was taken you just got the works the first morning and then the guy judged by what you left what you might want the next day. Clever stuff. In the evenings we would spend a little while in the bar have a few drinks and met some really nice local people. Due to an inordinate amount of attention from the local constabulary on the Saturday night once the youngsters had headed to the local dance the barman decided to shut shop and no one was getting in not even the police! That was until a few local boys arrived back from the dance having only been away about 20 mins. Not being able to get in the door they proceeded to climb in an open toilet window. Can i say this feat was done without spilling a drop of the drink he carried in an open plastic pint glass. Impressive. However the quote of the weekend for me was when he said I know i kinda broke in but any chance of a drink!! Cool or what? We then decided it was time for bed and were ushered out the back door through the out building and left in complete blackness to find the narrow steps up to where our room was. Lesson learned next night we left the outside light on. Ok so you need a sense of humour to stay here but the people were friendly and it wasn't their fault they were running out of alcohol big time oh and the chef forgot to buy bacon on our last morning and because of catching an early ferry the shop wouldn't be open before breakfast. Still he gave us a burger on our plate in exchange for that. In fairness the landlord/owner had been away and we only saw him on our last night. He was very friendly and hospitable, so I am not sure if this kind of entertainment is put on every weekend. All I can say is I never laughed so much in ages. Instead of Fawlty Towers they should make a programme of this hotel. All I can say is thanks for the entertainment guys.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank chewbackamuffin
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed here with my husband recently, we have visited the hotel before and return every year because of the lovely atmosphere, great food and lovely owner.
Yes it is a basic pub/hotel but what it lacks in style it makes up for in friendliness and character. You will meet the real people of Islay in the hotel. Lovely!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FionaLan1959

Been to Lochindaal Hotel? Share your experiences!