“Thanks, Jaqs, you were the best”
Review of The Old Kiln Cafe

The Old Kiln Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Port Ellen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We descended on the Old Kiln Cafe after a distillery tour, feeling pretty good about the world. The Cafe at Ardbeg had been recommended to us by several people, and not one of them lied. It's great.

Jaqs, our server (I hope I got your name right, honey) was fantastic - warm, friendly, helpful, and not a bit daunted by my fit of the giggles. Couldn't have asked for better service.

But what about the rest? Well, I believe they had just opened the new part of the cafe where we sat, and it was gorgeous - simple but elegant, and set beneath the old malting pagodas and timber beams, with the distillery shop at the far end.

And as for the food? it was outstanding. My sea bass (and side order of a nice dram) was some of the best fish I've had in the UK.

If I had a wish, it would be that they expand to do what they do for dinners, because for top quality food, they have no competition on the island.

Ardbeg is a truly lovely distillery, and I'm just sad we ran out of time to do one of their more interesting tours, but we will definitely be back.

If you're visiting Islay you should definitely think of giving the Old Kiln Cafe a go. We love it.

1  Thank CAK05

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Delicious food but busy spot. We went shortly before 1pm and had to wait for a table, but things had cleared out and were quiet by 1:30pm.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently went to Islay for a 5 nite stay for the celebration of my Father´s 70th birthday. Being a huge Ardbeg fan, without doubt we had to be there on the day of his birthday. From the outset the team & Heather were very helpful (and patient!) helping me to make sure every last detail was taken care of.

We had lunch on two days in the Kiln and were very impressed on both occasions with the friendly rapid service and beautifully presented fresh food! And the coffee is heaven...even served with the Ardbeg "A" in chocolate powder on the top! Travelling to Islay from abroad I had been anxious about arranging a cake for my Father and had a friend make a sugar plaque with the famous Ardbeg logo on. Heather then arranged for the Chefs to make a cake which they placed the plaque onto and presented to Pops....making his day!

All this aside...I would highly recommend anyone to visit this very unique location for lunch and or coffees....a real treat! You can walk from Laphroiag or get the bus which stops at the end of the road to Ardbeg.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed for lunch after taking part in the distillery tour.
There was a good choice on the menu and the food was tasty, fresh and well presented. Would definitely recommend The Old Kiln cafe

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We dropped into the cafe as we had heard good things about it. It is in the old kiln barn of the distillery. We were a family group and the food was speedily delivered by a charming waitress. The price was very reasonable and everyone enjoyed their meal. Well done Ardbeg