“A must when on the island ”
Review of The Old Kiln Cafe

The Old Kiln Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Port Ellen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Food was fast and excellent. Smart menu and very well done. I ordered the beef pie and it was so good. My husband ordered the soup and sandwich also very good. Make sure to check the tour schedule as they get really busy and it's a small place. We ate here twice on our trip.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

After the tour stopped here for a delightful lunch. The place is busy so do be patient. I had a lovely smoked haddock soup and roll and my companion had a nice steak pie. I wouldn’t necessarily make this a destination stop for the restaurant as it is just located right inside the Ardbeg reception/gift shop area and more like a cafe but if you are here for the great tour a perfect place to stop for a bite.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Can be a bit crowded but staff are attentive and food is excellent. Good for lunch or a celebratory dinner.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

This was just brilliant. The service is really nice and friendly and the food was great. The atmosphere is perfect. A really good place to have a lunch after the tour and tasting.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Being in the same building as the visitor centre, it can take a few minutes to get seated, especially directly after tours.

However, my wife and I were lucky and were seated seconds after entering. Choosing from the menu was hard, since everything sounds really good. We both went with the specialities of the day - a cod fillet with asparagus and a mushroom risotto.
Both meals were really delicious and most probably made with fresh ingredients, as well as being nicely arranged on the plate.
For dessert I had a cheese cake with berries, which was as well really great.

From where we were sitting we could see the room in which the old Ardbeg bottlings were presented, which added to the atmosphere of the Old Kiln Café. Service personnel was always fast and friendly.