“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Ellen
Laphroaig View Guest House B&B
Ranked #3 of 17 Port Ellen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I will admit when we first arrived and realized that our bedroom doors didn't lock, I thought to myself "oh god this is a little scary" but within an hour, I felt completely at ease and never thought of it again. We stayed for three nights and I felt so at home that I could have stayed a month!

Carole is a wonderful host and truly makes you feel welcome. She runs things a little bit differently than other b&bs which means more flexibility and fluidity - want to have a lie-in? No problem, she can make you a later breakfast. I LOVED that. Also for someone like me who is pregnant and dealing with morning sickness, she went out of her way to find me something each morning that I could manage to eat, even if it wasn't on the "official" menu.

The farm is delightfully back in from the main road and the only noises you hear are the occasional sheep conversations. Nighttime was blissfully quiet and I loved seeing the stars out my bedroom window.

It is a great location if you are planning to visit a lot of Islay as well instead of just focusing your efforts in one area.

The value for our money was absolutely fantastic and I really appreciated the fact that the solo room price was much cheaper than the double room - as an oft-solo traveler, it frustrates me to pay almost the same price even though I am one person. Here the price was very reasonable.

The rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious, and very comfortable. The lounge was fantastic - again it felt like home. At most b&bs we stick to our rooms but here we hung out and chatted often in the lounge. Sometimes Carole would join us and we had a blast swapping stories.

This place is very new and when we booked late last year it didn't have many reviews but there was just something about it that really appealed to me. I was very glad to see my instincts were right - in fact, it exceeded my expectations. If I ever manage to make it back to Islay (and I hope some day I will), this is where you will find me.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Merkathi
There are newer reviews for Laphroaig View Guest House B&B

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were there couple nights in April, Carole was very helpful, she arranged us tour in distilliers for cheap and also port ellen and laphroaig,lagavulin and arbdeg are walking distance! highly recommend!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kioskimies .
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this most comfortable B & B for 5nights and would certainly recommend. Rooms are clean ,bright with super views of the bay and beyond. The ensuites are spacious ,spotlessly clean with plenty of hot water .We enjoyed the excellent facility of a hostess tray in the bedrooms with tea / coffee making facility.The house is well set back of the road--in middle of a field !- an ideal location for visiting Laphroig and others distilleries . Also a pleasant walk into Port Ellen. Carole is a perfect hostess.The breakfast menu is varied with tea & coffee available 24hours in the dining room.
The day of our leaving the rain was pouring down and the ferry was not until lunchtime .Carole kindly served us coffee & delicious scones in front of blazing peat fire. Thank you for such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert186518
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband myself and and a close friend stayed with Carole and Bobby for three days whilst we were attending a Wedding at the nearby Ardbeg distillery( which by the way was amazing ) the guest house was off the road which leads to 3 distilleries, Laphroaig, llangvulen, Ardbeg, which if you are a whisky enthusiast is ideal, it is about 5 mins from port ellen and you will not be sorry if you stay at this delightful guest house.The rooms are bright, modern and well furnished, great en-suite facilities and the breakfasts that will keep you going all day .The views from the rooms are amazing sheep, lambs, and cows in the adjoining fields and over the water towards Ireland which can be seen on a clear day . The house boasts its own spring water which is believe you me cool, clear and delicious .Carole made us so welcome it felt like staying with a good friend andi would definitely recommend this delightful, and special guest house well done to everyone there

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank katynuttall
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We were made to feel very welcome at this charming guest house with beautiful views by its gracious and helpful hosts. I have no reservations about recommending this place as one of the best B & Bs I've been to.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is the best B&B I have ever stayed in. Carole was an absolutely amazing host - almost like a mother and a home away from home. The location was a perfect walking distance from Laphroaig. I rented a bicycle while in town and was able to make it into town as well as all the way to Kildalton Cross from the guest house. One night it was misting only slightly and I had planned on riding the bicylce into town, however Carole insisted in giving me a ride, so I wouldnt get wet. The breakfasts were awesome, and she was very accomdating to time and menu. She also offered dinners for 10 pounds - which was an excellent value and delicous. The room was very cozy - recently rennovated with new bathroom, furniture, and nicely sized flatscreen tv. If the weather was more permitting, I would have wanted to go fishing, and Carole was going to set me up with a rod and boots. This is the best place to stay in Islay, and I wouldnt recommend anywhere else. Definitely stay there!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My father and I stayed Laphroaig View after choosing to extend our time in Islay. The house is brand new and everything was spotlessly clean. The rooms and bathrooms are all very large. This house is literally a stones throw from the Laphroaig distillery, so if you're keen on Laphroaig this is the place to stay.

Carol, the owner, and her family were incredible. They shared all kinds of stories. Carol knows everyone on Islay, so if you're looking for a personal experience, this is it. She is also an amazing cook, so if you choose to stay here definitely opt in for dinner. I got her recipe for parsnips!

The house is located on a farm and they have all kinds of animals. On the second day she took me horseback riding and it was an amazing way to see Islay. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: My room had the very large bathtub and a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Glenegedale
Lochside Hotel
Lochside Hotel
#5 of 13 in Bowmore

Been to Laphroaig View Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!