Laphroaig View Guest House B&B
The Islay Hotel(Port Ellen)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewslaphroaig distilleryfull scottish breakfastan amazing hostcan't recommend this place enoughcomfy roomwithin walking distancebeanshaggisstunning viewsstayed two nightswent out of her waybed and breakfasta great place to stayhigh standardcarolkintyrehostess
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spent three nights with Carole at her new Laphroaig View B&B and had a wonderful time. The location was a great base for exploring Islay. The house is brand new and spotlessly clean. The breakfast was excellent and very informal. We could set our own time to eat and pick and choose from the options in the breakfast menu. The atmosphere was very homey, and before the end of the first day we were saying we were "going home" as we referred to the B&B. Tea and scones were also offered in the evenings and a peat fire was going in the fireplace. Very nice.
We took a chance to book a B&B that had no rating, and were not disappointed. I highly recommend this one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith44562666
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I will admit when we first arrived and realized that our bedroom doors didn't lock, I thought to myself "oh god this is a little scary" but within an hour, I felt completely at ease and never thought of it again. We stayed for three nights and I felt so at home that I could have stayed a month!

Carole is a wonderful host and truly makes you feel welcome. She runs things a little bit differently than other b&bs which means more flexibility and fluidity - want to have a lie-in? No problem, she can make you a later breakfast. I LOVED that. Also for someone like me who is pregnant and dealing with morning sickness, she went out of her way to find me something each morning that I could manage to eat, even if it wasn't on the "official" menu.

The farm is delightfully back in from the main road and the only noises you hear are the occasional sheep conversations. Nighttime was blissfully quiet and I loved seeing the stars out my bedroom window.

It is a great location if you are planning to visit a lot of Islay as well instead of just focusing your efforts in one area.

The value for our money was absolutely fantastic and I really appreciated the fact that the solo room price was much cheaper than the double room - as an oft-solo traveler, it frustrates me to pay almost the same price even though I am one person. Here the price was very reasonable.

The rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious, and very comfortable. The lounge was fantastic - again it felt like home. At most b&bs we stick to our rooms but here we hung out and chatted often in the lounge. Sometimes Carole would join us and we had a blast swapping stories.

This place is very new and when we booked late last year it didn't have many reviews but there was just something about it that really appealed to me. I was very glad to see my instincts were right - in fact, it exceeded my expectations. If I ever manage to make it back to Islay (and I hope some day I will), this is where you will find me.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Merkathi
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were there couple nights in April, Carole was very helpful, she arranged us tour in distilliers for cheap and also port ellen and laphroaig,lagavulin and arbdeg are walking distance! highly recommend!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kioskimies .
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this most comfortable B & B for 5nights and would certainly recommend. Rooms are clean ,bright with super views of the bay and beyond. The ensuites are spacious ,spotlessly clean with plenty of hot water .We enjoyed the excellent facility of a hostess tray in the bedrooms with tea / coffee making facility.The house is well set back of the road--in middle of a field !- an ideal location for visiting Laphroig and others distilleries . Also a pleasant walk into Port Ellen. Carole is a perfect hostess.The breakfast menu is varied with tea & coffee available 24hours in the dining room.
The day of our leaving the rain was pouring down and the ferry was not until lunchtime .Carole kindly served us coffee & delicious scones in front of blazing peat fire. Thank you for such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert186518
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband myself and and a close friend stayed with Carole and Bobby for three days whilst we were attending a Wedding at the nearby Ardbeg distillery( which by the way was amazing ) the guest house was off the road which leads to 3 distilleries, Laphroaig, llangvulen, Ardbeg, which if you are a whisky enthusiast is ideal, it is about 5 mins from port ellen and you will not be sorry if you stay at this delightful guest house.The rooms are bright, modern and well furnished, great en-suite facilities and the breakfasts that will keep you going all day .The views from the rooms are amazing sheep, lambs, and cows in the adjoining fields and over the water towards Ireland which can be seen on a clear day . The house boasts its own spring water which is believe you me cool, clear and delicious .Carole made us so welcome it felt like staying with a good friend andi would definitely recommend this delightful, and special guest house well done to everyone there

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family