“3 nights should have been 5 !” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Doune Braes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carloway
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“3 nights should have been 5 !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

the owner of this hotel couldnt have done much more to make us welcome. the food was very good. an omelette to die for !!! despite other vistors, my room was quiet and roomy. the only drawback is the lack of blinds on the window for those of us who are poor sleepers, as its still light at 11 pm and again at 3 30 am.! but would certaintly welcome another stay here.

Room Tip: a really nice location and good food.staff very helpful in the main.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

The problems with this hotel started before I arrived. I booked months in advance and, as requested, gave them my credit card number to confirm the booking (and I made a note of that on my records of my holiday bookings). About a week before I left for my holiday, they phoned me up to ask if I really wanted the room as I had not given them my credit card number to confirm my booking. I pointed out that I had indeed given it to them but I gave it to them again.

When I arrived, the receptionist informed me that they had no record of a booking for anyone with my name. I was not pleased at the prospect of looking for another hotel in the late afternoon after I had cycled 20 miles, only had my bike for transport, and mobile phone reception was unreliable. When I protested, the receptionist disappeared and came back later with the story that I was “in the book but not on the system”.

When I asked if there was anywhere where I could leave my bike under cover for the night, I was told to leave it “round the back”. So my bike had to stay out all night in heavy rain. I spent 11 days cycling round the islands and every little B&B where I stayed put my bike in a secure shed overnight - but not Doune Braes Hotel.

Service in the restaurant was slow: I thought 20 minutes to rustle up a bowl of soup was a bit dozy. However, the food was very nice when it eventually came.

The room was adequate but rather rather dreary.

The waitress at breakfast was conspicuous for her absence - I had finished my first course from the buffet and been waiting for five minutes before she came out of hiding. Then she made a fuss because I was sitting at the wrong table.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank dene2

Travellers are raving about these Carloway hotels

Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We arrived in the middle of October and had the hotel to ourselves. This is the ideal place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city living and be at peace with the world.
The hotel is situated 20 mins drive from Stornoway in a peaceful location overlooking it's own private loch where guests can fish free of charge. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the decoration is well maintained with telephone, TV, and free internet access. The owner is on-site most of the time and ensures that guests are well looked after by the friendly local staff. This is of great benefit to travelers who are not familiar with the Island, as they can tell you the best places to visit which are not always in the guide books. We had dinner on three occasions and were more than happy with the quality of the food, bearing in mind that we did not advise in advance that one of our party was vegetarian. They coped admirably. Breakfast was above average with fresh kippers available. Room prices were in keeping with hotels in Stornoway.
I would advise requesting a front facing room, overlooking the loch as the views to the rear are disappointing. We will definitely be returning to the Doune Braes in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scotmad
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I island hoped from Bara to Lewis and at £50 this was one of the best value for money small hotels. My room was a tad quirky with a bathroom door that tapered at the top, I walked in without my glasses on and nearly lost my head! However, door and cut head aside the room was clean and comfortable and what you would reasonably expect in this price range. Staff were very welcoming and service was excellent. The food in the restaurant is basic but good value for money with several choices. The view from the rear facing rooms is a bit depresing as they look out onto a yard and a workshop. Front view is fantastic. However, this is a small point and it didn't spoil my stay. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ewen028
Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Evening meal, 2 adults, 1 teenager. The selection was reasonably good, and the starters were excellent. My partner had the lamb hotpot and described it as 'mediocre', but the Mexican chilli was rather good. Generous desserts, and a pretty decent selection of wines. We were staying locally, and if we were staying there again, we'd go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank M M
Twin Cities and Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at the hotel. It had not been in our plans before the evening we appeared at the door. We were given a very clean and maintained room and the staff did an excellent job for us. It is true that there aren't many options on the western side of Lewis, but we had no complaints and the food was well prepared. It did all that we could ask of a place that we hadn't booked in advance and more.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrDbag
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We recently had an evening meal in Doune Braes. We were looking forward to freshly cooked local produce of good quality, however we were very disappointed with what we were served.

For starters I had fried cheese wedges, these were still frozen in the middle!
I had scallops (allegedly hand dived) that were totally over cooked (like rubber) in a white sauce (this tasted quite good) and rice.

My wife had soup, but this was clearly not home made, for starter and the veg that came with her main was so salty it had to be sent back

This was the worst food we had during a week long trip to the Outer Hebrides unfortunately.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carloway
The Crown Hotel
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle
#8 of 11 in Isle of Harris
Borve Country House Hotel

Been to Doune Braes Hotel? Share your experiences!