“3rd visit”
Review of Doune Braes Hotel

Doune Braes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carloway
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Our third visit and we stayed in our favourite Broch Suite which has had a complete makeover since last summer. It is very nice with lounge, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom and not much dearer than a double room. The staff are very friendly and knowledgable and always have time for a chat. On arrival we were greeted by Max a loveable sheepdog and a whole family of ducks and ducklings who spend the day on the small locken in front of the hotel.
The food was really good and mainly locally sourced, lovely meat and shellfish and scottish type food, my first try of deep fried haggis balls which I actually liked!. Breakfast was really good and set you up for the day.
The restaurant was welcoming and comfortable with no sense of being rushed in any way.
All in all a very nice three days and we will certainly be back again.

Room Tip: Choose the Broch Suite for a very peaceful stay
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Doune Braes Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here when my ferry from stornoway was cancelled. The hotel used to be a school. The hotel needs updating - the decor is very outdated. My room was cold and I couldn't figure out how to turn on the heat. In order to take a shower I had to open a window to let the steam escape - otherwise I would have set off the fire alarm. The menu is blah.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Very friendly staff. Food good except for the very watery porridge - avoid. The bedroom was clean but having a very slopping roof both in the main bedroom and the bathroom felt a bit claustrophobic and you had to keep bending to avoid hitting your head. Thin walls and a very dingy corridor did not do the hotel justice. We booked through Hebredian Hop Scotch a vey good tour company and so all the ferries and hotels were prepaid. Upon leaving the hotel we were asked to pay the remainder of our bill We explained that we were paid up in full and also had handed in our paperwork. We were booked in under a different name. It all felt a bit disorganised.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda J
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We went for a meal on the first night, the food was exactly what I would want in a Scottish restaurant, I had the lamb stew with root vegetables, and the flavour was wonderful. They also had "foreign" dishes, which I don't understand, surely we should be offering good plain Scottish fayre, as my dish was proof of this.
The waitresses were very attentive and apologised for a dirty glass, although it shouldn't happen when serving drink, especially as the bar was not busy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013

the owner of this hotel couldnt have done much more to make us welcome. the food was very good. an omelette to die for !!! despite other vistors, my room was quiet and roomy. the only drawback is the lack of blinds on the window for those of us who are poor sleepers, as its still light at 11 pm and again at 3 30 am.! but would certaintly welcome another stay here.

Room Tip: a really nice location and good food.staff very helpful in the main.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2013

The problems with this hotel started before I arrived. I booked months in advance and, as requested, gave them my credit card number to confirm the booking (and I made a note of that on my records of my holiday bookings). About a week before I left for my holiday, they phoned me up to ask if I really wanted the room as I had not given them my credit card number to confirm my booking. I pointed out that I had indeed given it to them but I gave it to them again.

When I arrived, the receptionist informed me that they had no record of a booking for anyone with my name. I was not pleased at the prospect of looking for another hotel in the late afternoon after I had cycled 20 miles, only had my bike for transport, and mobile phone reception was unreliable. When I protested, the receptionist disappeared and came back later with the story that I was “in the book but not on the system”.

When I asked if there was anywhere where I could leave my bike under cover for the night, I was told to leave it “round the back”. So my bike had to stay out all night in heavy rain. I spent 11 days cycling round the islands and every little B&B where I stayed put my bike in a secure shed overnight - but not Doune Braes Hotel.

Service in the restaurant was slow: I thought 20 minutes to rustle up a bowl of soup was a bit dozy. However, the food was very nice when it eventually came.

The room was adequate but rather rather dreary.

The waitress at breakfast was conspicuous for her absence - I had finished my first course from the buffet and been waiting for five minutes before she came out of hiding. Then she made a fuss because I was sitting at the wrong table.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank dene2
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We arrived in the middle of October and had the hotel to ourselves. This is the ideal place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city living and be at peace with the world.
The hotel is situated 20 mins drive from Stornoway in a peaceful location overlooking it's own private loch where guests can fish free of charge. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the decoration is well maintained with telephone, TV, and free internet access. The owner is on-site most of the time and ensures that guests are well looked after by the friendly local staff. This is of great benefit to travelers who are not familiar with the Island, as they can tell you the best places to visit which are not always in the guide books. We had dinner on three occasions and were more than happy with the quality of the food, bearing in mind that we did not advise in advance that one of our party was vegetarian. They coped admirably. Breakfast was above average with fresh kippers available. Room prices were in keeping with hotels in Stornoway.
I would advise requesting a front facing room, overlooking the loch as the views to the rear are disappointing. We will definitely be returning to the Doune Braes in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank scotmad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carloway
Cabarfeidh Hotel
County Hotel
County Hotel
#5 of 6 in Stornoway
Borve Country House Hotel

Been to Doune Braes Hotel? Share your experiences!