All reviewscommon roomfree breakfastthe ownerfamily roominternet accesswell equipped kitchenbus stationfelt like homecentral locationouter hebridestop floorlewis and harrisdormchristinetoshcerealpeat
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here as part of a group. Wasn't exactly impressed. There were 29 of us travelling around, split into 3 rooms....10 to a room is not my idea of fun (especially when I'm paying more here than in some places where it's a 4 bed room)
only 4 toilets and 3 showers exist in the entire building, so they are always in demand.
the kitchen is very small, and gets crowded very quickly. The beakfast was basic to say the least.
Free wifi was one redeaming feature, as was the tv and dvd collection
with 10 people to a room, it stants to reason that you want to leave the wondows open at night, but with the slightest breeze the windows and shutters bang like crazy
Would have had a very different experience if there hadn't been a group of us staying there

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2013

One of the most friendliest places I have ever stayed. The lady owner Christine couldn't be more helpful and went out of our way to help us when we stayed. The place is very clean with lots of bathrooms and room to move around in. Christine will help you out what ever way she can. If you want a stress free stay then you need to stay here! Close to everything as well

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were booked into the Heb Hostel and were pleasantly surprised. I have stayed in a hostel before and it was an experience I never wanted to repeat so I was dubious of how it would be.

When we had arrived Christine was friendly and very helpful. the Hostel is just 5 minutes walk from the ferry and is in the town so there are shops and bars nearby.

The rooms are cleaned everyday and they could not have done anymore to make our stay better. Stornoway is a beautiful place and Heb Hostel has everything you want at a low cost. It would be great if you are travelling yourself too as you could meet others there.

Only downside is the bars do shut early, 930-1030pm.

I would definitely recommend Heb to anyone :)

Room Tip: Go into the town and purchase Stornoway black pudding yum!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CGrant1982
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This place has only one fault. Not enough bathrooms for the amount of visitors.... It was a struggle to get a loo stop in let alone a shower. If you can get over this, this place is FANTASTIC. The house is perfectly situated in Stornaway and Christine is simply a joy of a person, she is incredibly welcoming and having been a backpacker herself, she knows what people need/want from a hostel. The communal areas are fantastic and feel like a lovely home. The beds/rooms were perfect, lots of space and the beds were v comfortable with little sidelights for reading. £16 per night made it the cheapest hostel of my trip and one of the best too. YHA could learn something from her! Please note they cannot accept card payments here. The rooms don't need locks, Stornaway has the lowest crime rate in the UK!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We booked the Heb Hostel on the day as we were on a bit of a road trip around the Highlands and Islands. We found them in a Lonely Planet guide and phoned straight away. Host Christine was very helpful and friendly, showing us around while holding her adorable little boy.

We stayed in a mixed dorm (we being me and my boyfriend) and as there was only one other person staying in it we had a great peaceful night. Beds were very comfy although pillows were a little flat.

The hostel feels like a home, with carpets and wallpaper, and a chatty, relaxed vibe. People wer cooking and talking in the kitchen in the evening and in the morning. WiFi connection was good and living room very comfy. We really appreciated the binder of local restaurants with menus and reviews from guests too.

Price-wise it was reasonable, with £43 for two people. I agree with previous reviewers that it would have been nice to have locks on the doors of dorms, but there were lockers under all the beds and you could rent a padlock so I think if you were really concerned about security you'd be fine.

Location was great, very close to the water and lots of restaurants and shops, and the building was lovely. Overall, very good!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple