“Great Base for Touring”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stornoway
Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #22 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Nairn
“Great Base for Touring”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Basic clean and warm rooms that are centraly located and handy for the ferry terminal. The Bathrooms were reasonably well maintained and clean with plenty of Hot Water.

There is ample parking at the front of the hotel

The food is passable but I would really expect a steak house to be able to cook a steak to the customers request.

The service is friendly and unobtrusive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Millport18
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed here for three nights on business. First impressions were poor. I walked in and the staff member who was to check me in was telling her friends a story in the bar. She saw me but continued with her story and I waited at least 4 minutes to be served - not good. The staff member was very polite but this is not a good first impression. The hotel is very tired and in seruious need of upgrading. 80's style colour scheme, old carpets abd bed covers and seriously chipped furniture and doors. The tap on my bath was baddly chipped as well - the whole place gives an impression of very little money spent on quality fo accommodation. Breakfast on my first day was spoiled by orange juice that was rancid. I pointed this out and the staff member tasted it, said it was off, and said he would throw it out. On the second day breakfast my cutlery was very greasy. The bed springs stuck into my back. My radiator was extremely noisy when heating so I turned it off at night, and of course it got cold.
On the plus side there was plenty of hot water very quickly in the bathroom. I would have moved hotel but as I was working all day and just needed somewhere to sleep I left it as it was.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Millport18

Travellers are raving about these Stornoway hotels

Dunblane
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The rooms are looking a bit tired and could do with some TLC but they were clean and a resasonable B&B rate. It was blowing a gale when we were up so the wind was whistling through the window but good radiators meant it wasn't chilly, just a bit noisy, but you can't hold the hotel responsible for exceptional weather. Our room was to the front so we passed a bit of time just staring out the window at the boats and wild waves. I saw an earlier comment from another Trip Advisor about the locks on the room doors and to be honest there was a bit of skill needed to work them out but we got there in the end. I can't really comment on another Trip Advisors experience of noisy traffic waiting to board the freight ferry because it didn't sail due to the weather.

Location wise the hotelis great and the staff couldn't have been more helpful - they arranged for us to have very early access to the room so we could get ready for a wedding on the day we arrived. Breakfast was plentiful, tasty and well served and the restaurant looked like it had recently been renovated. Although we didn't have dinner, the menu looked great.

Yep, we'd go back.

Room Tip: A room to the front will give you a nice view, beware views of brick walls to the rear
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weaniewotsit
Achmore, North Lochs, Isle of Lewis.
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Fantastic food served by happy smiling and very helpful staff, a pleasure to have eaten there, yes we will all be back for more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank achmore
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed here for one night in June 2011 on business. There was nobody in reception when I arrived, and no bell to get attention, so I waited 10 minutes until they realised I was there. The staff, when there, were attentive. On getting into my room, I wasn't able to lock the door from the inside (though I'm prepared to admit that's probably my incompetence); the hot tap for the sink spun round and round; the fan in the bathroom sounded like it was about to take off; the bed was remarkably hard; the room was a good temperature (not too hot, not too cold). There was no towel provided, and because the laundry delivery hadn't arrived, one of the staff had to provide me with one of her own, from home (it was clean). The breakfast was terrible - I don't usually take a cooked breakfast, but had expected something more than a selection of three cereals (one full of sugar that I don't remember, weetabix or rice crispies), and cardboard-like toast. No fruit, no juice. Can't comment on the tea or coffee as I drink neither.

All in all, a poor experience for the £69 my company paid. I would not go back.

Room Tip: Right next to the ferry terminal at the front, so ask for a room to the rear.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank KMakins
scotland
Reviewed 6 July 2011

the food is top notch..service very slow and could do with an upgrade ( girls nice but not really up to the mark on training and customer service) Food cooked to order and very good..long wait but worth it.
The view from window tables is very pleasant
Good price and real Man size portions

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank heblady
Uk
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed at the Caledonian for just one night. Good location. The decoration and furnishings were odd to say the least, nice flat screen TV with DVD player but no bedside lamp. The bed felt as if the entire world had slept in it first, but at least the sheets were clean, Shower attachment but no where to hang it and the worlds weirdest towels. having said that the staff were welcoming and helpful and the room was really clean. There was alo tea and coffe making stuff in the room which was nice.
The worst thing was the noise from the lorries that were parked up at night waiting for the ferry. The drivers keep the engines running, which wasn't funny as they were there for sometime.
Breakfast in the morning was good though.
New beds and decent decor would go a long way to making me return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business