“Overnight stay”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Stornoway
Glasgow
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel this week for an overnight business trip, the hotel is very centrally located and within a couple of hundred yards of the Ferry Terminal so great that there was no extra drive at the end of a 3hr trip on the ferry. The hotel looks a bit dull and dated looking from the outside , however inside the hotel looks fine very old worldly with a bit of character. The bedroom I had was room 4 and it was a really good size with decent decor and looked to me as if it had recently been renovated, the outlook for my room was out onto the main road but it didn't suffer from traffic noise. Downstairs there's a bar/ resteraunt I wouldn't say it's the best iv ever visited but it wasn't bad . Overall I enjoyed my stay and probably would consider staying over again. I forgot to say I thought the bed and linen were superb. Parking at the front of the hotel was easy to get a parking place.

Room Tip: Room 4 would be a good choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Northumberland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

First time on the island and stayed at the County Hotel for 2 Nights. Where do I start. Bed is only is 4 foot wide so a couple has to hang onto the side so you don't fall out. What they say on their itinerary on the web site is not offered. No hair dryer(so advised to bring your own) no trouser press, no seat in the room so apart from the bed no where to sit. No wardrobe, only hook at back of door to hang clothes. No ladies sanitary facilities offered in bathroom. Shower has no power, but it is a nice bathroom. Bedside lights don't work, no literature in the room to inform you what's available on the island. Even though the hotel has 18 rooms there is only enough parking space at the rear of the building on rough ground for 4 cars, after that its up to you to find a parking area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank WendyandCraig2013

Travellers are raving about these Stornoway hotels

stornoway
Reviewed 27 February 2014

the last twice we have visited the County Hotel for a meal we have unfortunately been refused service this is because being a couple we were unable to sit at an empty table for four, even though there were several empty both times. Not a good image for visitors. We are a local couple and there was no welcome at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kitkat18
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I sit here in my rubbish room so cold my nose is freezing despite being in my bed for 2 hours. Room décor is from 1974. I don't mean its decorated like the 70s I mean it has not been decorated since the 70s. Dinner was advertised as a lamb bhuna but it was more like a sheep fat stew. The wireless was the last straw. I get faster data transfer on 3G than a full strength signal from their wireless access point. Hotel wasn't cheap either. Glad its for one night only. I'm NEVER cold. cant wait to GTF. would be 1 out of 5 but the staff are very friendly so one point for them bringing the total to a rubbish 2/5!

Room Tip: Best tip is choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Dave R
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

You arrive in from Benbecula. 3.5 hours to kill before flight to mainland. Get a £7 taxi ride into town. Fresh food served by attractive and pleasant staff. Bill for 3 was just over £40. Fresh Haddock and chips was perfectly cooked. I didn't sample extensive Indian menu (didn't wish to woof my Pakora at 9000' over the Minch) but was assured that Indian chefs on the premises cook it freshly. A glimpse into what appeared to be a clean and modern kitchen confirmed this.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gregalfa
scotland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My lunch partner and I had a great lunch at the County. I had salmon and pesto ciabatta and my partner had Cajun chicken burger. Both came with chips and salad. Very tasty. We didn't have to wait long to get served and the staff that served us were friendly and efficient. Would go there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Booked into here after hearing the rooms were newly refurbished and the Indian food great.
Arrived on a Sunday night to find the there was no Indian food served on Sundays and my room had probably been refurbished away back in the 60's.The furniture was fit for the dump, the bed had a mattress made of cast iron and there was more green weed round the foot of the shower than along the harbour walls in Stornoway!
My evening meal was rubbish too. I had the Steak Pie which should have been called Gristle Pie and the potatoes tasted like they had been cooked the day before and steeped in boiling water before being served.

At £90 for a one course meal and one night stay I felt cheated. The quality of my room should have been reflected in what I paid as the refurbished rooms are the same price.
I checked out and went elsewhere. This hotel was also the most expensive place I stayed during my 10 days on the Islands.

Room Tip: Walk on by and head up the road another 150 yards to the Dragonfly B&B
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank fflyingfish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stornoway
The Crown Hotel
#1 of 1 in Carloway
Hal O' the Wynd
Hal O' the Wynd
#6 of 24 in Stornoway

Been to County Hotel? Share your experiences!